You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Trabzanspor V LFC

Trucker Paddy

It's a subject that will split the fans straight down the middle, but i wonder what the other half will say after Torres picks up a bad injury against some greek side or whatnot.

I'm of the firm belief that if Rafa had of fucked this off last season, we'd still be a champions league club. There was a lot of even stupider dropped points after these games, not to mention where nando puck up his injury last season.

Exactly. I posted this earlier, its what Hodgson has said on the subject

“You always have to have one eye on the Premier League games,” says the Liverpool manager. “We have got players who have played 90 minutes last week, 90 minutes on Sunday, maybe asked to play 90 minutes on Thursday, then 90 minutes on Monday, then 90 minutes on Thursday, then 90 minutes on Sunday.

“If you ask 11 players to do that then you are asking a lot of them. We have already lost two and I’m not sure how many more we are going to lose along the way. But we have a squad of players to deal with that.

“Hopefully a club of our stature has more than 11 players capable of playing at a top level, and it’s going to be up to me to make certain I choose the right ones for the games and I don’t get anybody into a situation that, thanks to being overplayed, they miss a lot more games.”

In my opinion, hes spot on. Some people have made the point that we need a good win for confidence which is a valid point. But the team you listed is more than capable of getting a result. Other people have made the point that we've played CL games in the past on a Wednesday and not been tired on a Saturday which again is a valid point. But what Hodgson is saying seems to suggest hes worried about fatigue and potential injuries and hes making the league a priority.

I think the next 3 games in the league are going to be vitally important. If we can pick up 6 points we'll be in a good position moving forward. We need Torres, Gerrard, Carra, Johnson, Agger and the rest of our strongest players fit and injury free.

If they're going to get injuries I'd rather it be in the league rather than Europe. Actually I'd rather they just didnt get injured full stop.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no magical formations of course, it's just the framework, it what's in the players heads that matters...how are we going to play, move, pass the ball.

---------------Reina

Kelly-----Skrtel-----Agger----Aurelio

--------Gerrard-----Lucas

Johnson-------Maxi--------Babel/Pacheco/Cole

------------Torres/N'Gog

Would love to see us start the game with something like that. Think these are the type of games that could be used to blood that Agger/Skrtel partnership once and for all. I'd play Johnson in midfield, he's literally the only player we have that can commit and run past players. We desperately need some of that in the final third.

Guest davelfc

I think the next 3 games in the league are going to be vitally important. If we can pick up 6 points we'll be in a good position moving forward. We need Torres, Gerrard, Carra, Johnson, Agger and the rest of our strongest players fit and injury free.

Isn't the international break just after the WBA game? All we're really doing is keeping most of our squad fresh for that so they can get injured playing for their countries.

Torres going off to play for Spain gives me fucking nightmares.

I'd be shocked if we have our full squad available to play the scum.

Isn't the international break just after the WBA game? All we're really doing is keeping most of our squad fresh for that so they can get injured playing for their countries.

Torres going off to play for Spain gives me fucking nightmares.

I'd be shocked if we have our full squad available to play the scum.

True, in fairness your probably right, actually wouldnt surprise me if they picked up injuries there.

Which will not help.

It's a subject that will split the fans straight down the middle, but i wonder what the other half will say after Torres picks up a bad injury against some greek side or whatnot.

I'm of the firm belief that if Rafa had of fucked this off last season, we'd still be a champions league club.

If he gets injured, I know already what I will say. That it's simply bad luck.

We need our strongest team out for a game like this. We are defending a very dodgy lead out there in a very hostile environment, and need all the help we can get.

We'd be still a CL club, if we could beat Brum, Fulham, Villa, Arsenal and a truck of other games. We didn't, so we have to sit it out this year.

If he gets injured, I know already what I will say. That it's simply bad luck.

We need our strongest team out for a game like this. We are defending a very dodgy lead out there in a very hostile environment, and need all the help we can get.

We'd be still a CL club, if we could beat Brum, Fulham, Villa, Arsenal and a truck of other games. We didn't, so we have to sit it out this year.

I think Hodgson will probably put out a strong line up. After that shit last night he probably will want to see if he can get any sort of a cohesive unit playing together.

Pepe

Kelly

Carra

Skrtel

Agger

Poulsen/Spearing

Lucas

Maxi

Gerrard

Babel

Ngog

I missed the first leg so don't know too much about them but if they're not that good I wouldn't be too adverse to seeing Gerrard in a deeper position with Kuyt playing closer to Ngog. I think with a partner doing some of the messy work and in particular one as intelligent as Kuyt, Ngog would be a more effective player.

Obviously going through is the priority but it'd be nice to see some younger players and the team playing more cohesively.

West Brom may not be as easy as we think - ESPecially after last season when we learned the hard way that NO Home Games are gimmes (Unless your Man U et al with the ref's in your pocket that is); However what they Will do is come and try to attack which Should give us space to play - Parking the bus sides are the ones we REALLY struggled against Last season but IF West Brom' come and play (and even if they don't) They're not good enough so I expect us to beat them and beat them comfortably.

By the way those sounding the note of caution have any of you SEEN West Brom's record against us since 1985 I think? Awful doesn't even Begin to describe it - Their Premier League Record against us alone (Home AND Away) Is horrific enough with something like Played 8, Scored 0, Conceded? 24 AND we've relegated them twice in 2003 and 2009 - The first time we absolutey humiliated them 0 - 6 on their own ground with someone getting 4 goals I think. The second one (our 0 - 2 win at the Hawthorns 2 seasons ago) will ALWAYS be special to me as it's date 17/05/09 was the date my son was born and my life changed forever. But back on topic - West Brom will be more fearful than us believe me - those stat's above didn't include about another 5 games including one absolute hiding if I remember rightly where we beat the Baggies in the Eighties in the Old Division 1 as well dating back to our last defeat to them which was Waaay back and then some. So basically? Put it this way - If there's One team that West Brom REALLY Don't want to play, it WILL be us and I see no chance of the reasons for this changing on Sunday........

Edited by Redshadow

I think we should try to play a fairly consistent side and formation at the start of season; then start making some changes a bit later to rest players if needed. The team needs to get used to how Roy wants us to play as quickly as possible, then making two or three changes per game should have less impact. We’ve got some promising young players who could do with some games; however rather than chuck them in all at once, we should be giving the likes of Kelly, Shelvey, Spearing, Pacheco and Wilson games surrounded by the rest of the team that knows what it is doing.

I want us to try to win the Europa league, I want to try to win the Carling Cup and I want to try to with the FA cup. We won’t win them all, but better to have a shot at three rather than settle for scrapping for 4th and trying for the FA cup. One unlucky result in that scenario and we’ve won nothing.

Regarding Trabzon - I think we Should put out a strongish team but not overexert ourselves - After all it's THEM who has to do the running and chase the lead - Not us and if we can put together something even remotely resembling a half-decent defence which can then be bedded down through that match and a few more at least we'll have learned SOMETHING from the Monday Night Manchester Debacle. Also I think the media will go to town on us whether we get through or not - If we DO get through - they'll alternate between "Look at poor LFC - Once a CL club not any more" (already started with an odious article about this being what we get for last season in the Daily Heil I believe) and "Roy Needs to put his full team out to try and Win this trophy to match his predecessors (thereby leaving us practically fcuked for the league and our final position likely to suffer Again - Which is of course, what the Great and Not At All Biased English Media REALLY want).

In the other respect - If we Do manage to go out at this early stage? The media will have REAL fun then - They'll call it a disgrace, go to town on Roy and probably start with the "He's not qualified/experienced enough to manage at THIS level (Anfield)" articles as well no doubt as starting a whole new raft of lies linking our players to a host of new clubs; It won't matter to them if such articles have even a shred of truth to them or not as this no doubt will be done to again try and stir up the uncertainty Roy is trying so hard to currently quell; So either way, I doubt we can win with them, vultures to a man, if they ARE men, which I doubt. Mind you calling the English Media animals is cruel as half of them would give even animals a bad name..........

Edited by Redshadow

Guest davelfc
West Brom may not be as easy as we think - ESPecially after last season when we learned the hard way that NO Home Games are gimmes (Unless your Man U et al with the ref's in your pocket that is); However what they Will do is come and try to attack which Should give us space to play - Parking the bus sides are the ones we REALLY struggled against Last season but IF West Brom' come and play (and even if they don't) They're not good enough so I expect us to beat them and beat them comfortably.

Not be as easy as we think, you expect us to beat them and beat them comfortably.

Nice to see you're totally decided on this one then.

My point has always been that RESTING players for the upcoming visit of West Brom is something I'd be ashamed of if we did it. If we really need to to do that then we really shouldn't be looking at top 4, we should be prepared for a relegation battle.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying we will be in a relegation battle nor am I complaining about a not fully fit Torres being brought back in a sensible manner.

Play the strongest team, the new manager needs to know what works and doesn't work for his squad. We have a great reputation in Europe, I would doubt Roy wants an early exit from Europe on his CV at Liverpool.

Also the players will I hope be wanting to put in a proper display after the debacle at the weekend, they had their rest against city it would seem.

Guest davelfc
Could be in a bit of trouble here, no gerrard, agger, or torres

We didn't have Gerrard or Agger for the home leg, although I admit the away leg will be more difficult. Torres, well we need to bring him back slowly and keep him fit for the International break so Spain can fuck him again.

Early goal will see us right I hope.

Spearing will get slaughtered....i fear

You may well be right, but when else will we play him? Hope we get rubbish sides in the FA and League Cups? What if we don't? He's in the first team squad now, he's no longer a 18 year old with potential. He played well for Leicester last season and deserves a chance.

I don't think he'll make it from what I've seen but with Aquilani on loan, Masch awol, the other midfielders need to step up. Particularly Jay, who in reality is the only current alternative to Gerrard as a central midfielder we have, unless Shelvey is ready.

I'd play one of them. We know all about Lucas, we know what he can and can't do. Let's take a serious look at Spearing or Shelvey in a competative game and see if they can step up. Lord knows we need them to.

I'd go with something like this.....

................Reina................

Kelly...Carra...Kyrgiakos...Aurelio

.........Poulson..Lucas............

Babel.........Cole.........Pacheco

...............N'Gog...................

Solid side with creativity coming from Cole and Pacheco, pace from Babel down the right and a Europa league goal machine up front!