You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From LFCGlobe, so take with a pinch of salt, but they have been right the last 2 European games. Standard enough team.

TORRES AND POULSEN TO START AGAINST CITY; NGOG AND LUCAS MISS OUT

Sunday, 22nd August 2010 · Share on Facebook

Fernando Torres, who is returning from injury, will start against Manchester City tomorrow away from home, we can confirm.

Pepe Reina will start in goal, with Brad Jones replacing Diego Cavalieri on the bench as back-up.

Glen Johnson and Fabio Aurelio will start as full-backs for Liverpool. Jamie Carragher and Martin Skrtel will also start at the back alongside the duo.

Daniel Agger has failed to make the starting eleven after suffering concussion last week, however he will be on the bench for the Reds.

New-signing Christian Poulsen and Javier Mascherano will be paired together in midfield, which means Lucas will be a substitute.

Dirk Kuyt returns to the side and will start on the right wing, next to Steven Gerrard, who is playing in the hole, and Milan Jovanovic on the left.

Fernando Torres, who came on for the second-half against Trabzonspor, will start alone up front.

David Ngog, Brad Jones, Daniel Agger, Martin Kelly, Maxi Rodriguez, Ryan Babel and Lucas Leiva are set to be on the bench, which has not yet been fully confirmed.

Stream links to watch the full 90 minutes live will be available tomorrow, 2 hours before kick-off at 8pm (UK).

Starting: Reina; Johnson, Carragher, Skrtel, Aurelio; Mascherano, Poulsen; Kuyt, Gerrard, Jovanovic; Torres.

More here: Torres and Poulsen to start against City; Ngog and Lucas miss out - LFC Globe | Liverpool Football Club News and Media

Narrow win for City. A draw would be a magnificent result for us under the circumstances.

Fuck that.

When you have Reina, Johnson, Mascherano, Gerrard, Kuyt and Torres in your team you should be expecting to win - home or away and not settling for a draw.

They should fear us more than the other way around, as we have the big match players.

I think Torres and Gerrard are going to ignite our season - starting tomorrow.

_________Reina

Johnson Agger Carra Aurelio

__Mascherano Poulsen

Kuyt __Gerrard__Jovanovic

_________Torres

Two holding midfielders? ehhh this has a bore draw all over it.

Can't be as bad as last seasons, not 1 shot on target from both sides in 90 minutes

Take jova out for Cole, Agger for skertel that's our best team

Two holding midfielders? ehhh this has a bore draw all over it.

Not necessaily.

If Torres and Gerrard are on song they can almost win the game on their own.

When we beat Man U 4-1 a couple of seasons ago Lucas and Mascherano were in centre midfield, we didn't control the game - yet Gerrard and Torres were brilliant on the counter attack.

I would personally play Gerrard in centre midfield, but wouldn't be too unhappy if he starts behind Torres.

Bit disappointed if that is the side. I sort of understand it but they are there to be got at until they get used to each other. Would have liked Maxi behind Torres (Gerrard staying in the middle) as it adds that extra bit of attack mindedness. Instead the side has 'keep it tight and pray to God we nick something' all over it....

0-0 I reckon.

All I want is a Liverpool team to go for it - not too much to ask surely?

Please god let us attack them from the start. I don't want to see a return to last season's negative shite, "controlling the game" for the first 45 minutes and then coming to life and trying to rescue a draw once we're one down. They are nothing special and we can definitely get three points here if we assert ourselves from the off. I can envisate a dour 1-1 though, sadly...

Please god let us attack them from the start. I don't want to see a return to last season's negative shite, "controlling the game" for the first 45 minutes and then coming to life and trying to rescue a draw once we're one down. They are nothing special and we can definitely get three points here if we assert ourselves from the off. I can envisate a dour 1-1 though, sadly...

Yes if true and we are starting with Masch and Poulson really suggest attacking intent. Poulson couldn't even dominate against a 3rd rate turkish side at Anfield so how the hell is he going to impose a team who has a combative midfield with fresher legs.

At home I can understand leaving Kuyt out, where we usually dominate possession and need our better players on the ball - such as Pacheco, Maxi, Cole etc.

But away from home I think he is a vital cog in our team, as he is an outlet with his ability to hold up the ball and keep possession - whether upfront or outwide.

Also his workrate in the big games against the top four or five teams in the league can really make a difference in forcing mistakes and giving the opposition little time and space on the ball, not forgetting the protection he gives Johnson at right back.

I would definitely play him in this game. But at home against the weaker sides in the league, I'd rather see at times the guile of Maxi or Cole.