You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

First, best and worst gigs?

Redder Lurtz

First - Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Royal Court Xmas 84. I was 13. Seemed boss at the time, but in hindsight they were probably miming to backing tapes.

Best - Can't split three, either First Hillsborough benefit gig, Royal Court 1989. Big Audio Dynamite, The La's and The Mission. Think Wylie turned up as well. Great gig, shame about the circumstances of it.

Or U2 early on in the Zoo TV tour in Kiel, Germany 1992. Was up near the front in an indoor gig and i think i lost my own body weight in sweat. Brilliant performance, though.

Finally, Radiohead at the MEN arena in 1997 on the OK Computer tour, me and my mate had a pill beforehand and it was just an absolutely joyous noise the band created. 

Worst - Got to see Coldplay and Elbow at the Reebok for free in about 2005, a mate of a mate couldn't go so i went along instead. Insipid doesn't even begin to describe it. They ended with Fix You and did it twice as they were filming a video for it. Elbow were godawful as well. There must have been more bad or disappointing gigs but i'm assuming my mind has blanked them out. 

bought their latest effort that came with a DVD that has footage of this. have not got round to watching it yet. god knows when either

bought their latest effort that came with a DVD that has footage of this. have not got round to watching it yet. god knows when either

I borrowed it off a friend in work a few months ago, just to see the footage. I reckon I can make myself out on it*

*It could be anyone to be fair.

First - can’t remember

Best - either BAD II at Ally Pally or the 051, Prince in Manchester or the quadruple header Greenpeace benefit gig of Kraftwerk, BAD II, New Order and U2. I went for Big Audio Dynamite and PE and was amazed to really enjoy U2.

Worst - The Sugarcubes at The Royal Court in the 80s. They did 20 minutes and then walked off after that shouty cunt Bjork had to play second fiddle to jumped into the crowd to kick off at a heckler. Shite.

Just reading over the thread after posting and I was at quite a few of the gigs mentioned. I’ve also realised that I’ve been to fucking loads of gigs and had forgotten so many. Other greats: A Tribe Called Quest & The Beastie Boys at Madison Square Garden, The Roses at Spike Island (shit gig, but great “event”), Glastonbury ‘94 for (deep breath) RATM, Weller, Bjork, Blur, Radiohead, Oasis, Orbital and more.

Did a whole BAD II tour and got on speaking terms with the band (got bought a drink by Mick!). Saw The Pixies twice, The Wedding Present about five times, The Mondays about five, Primal Scream, Pulp at The Leadmill in Sheffield with Jarvis hanging from a pipe just above the stage for the entirety of Babies, Jamiroquai, The Pogues (Fiesta went fully off), Jerry Dammers and The Spatial AKA doing Sun Ra covers at The Phil, Incognito with Carleen Anderson & Omar, Lloyd Cole & The Commotions, The Wonderstuff, PWEI, De La Soul...

Christ I could go on and on. Only really typing this to remind myself. Fucking love going to gigs. Rarely do it now though.

• Upvote 1

Just reading over the thread after posting and I was at quite a few of the gigs mentioned. I’ve also realised that I’ve been to fucking loads of gigs and had forgotten so many. Other greats: A Tribe Called Quest & The Beastie Boys at Madison Square Garden, The Roses at Spike Island (shit gig, but great “event”), Glastonbury ‘94 for (deep breath) RATM, Weller, Bjork, Blur, Radiohead, Oasis, Orbital and more.

Did a whole BAD II tour and got on speaking terms with the band (got bought a drink by Mick!). Saw The Pixies twice, The Wedding Present about five times, The Mondays about five, Primal Scream, Pulp at The Leadmill in Sheffield with Jarvis hanging from a pipe just above the stage for the entirety of Babies, Jamiroquai, The Pogues (Fiesta went fully off), Jerry Dammers and The Spatial AKA doing Sun Ra covers at The Phil, Incognito with Carleen Anderson & Omar, Lloyd Cole & The Commotions, The Wonderstuff, PWEI, De La Soul...

Christ I could go on and on. Only really typing this to remind myself. Fucking love going to gigs. Rarely do it now though.

Saw both B.A.D (1st incarnation) and then Sigue Sigue Sputnik at The State in 86, both within about a fortnight of each other.  

B.A.D. were boss.  

• Upvote 1

• 5 years later...
On 11/08/2010 at 19:07, Redder Lurtz said:

Fuck me, just remembered my parents took me to chatham central hall when i was about 8 years old. To see the spinners. The fucking spinners. That's my first ever gig. Gutted. I must remember to tell my parents i hate them.

Reminds me of a story I read. The Spinners were due to play on the pitch before to 89 cup final against Everton. Some young scall vaults the turnstiles and gets chased and grabbed by a couple of stewards and as they're chucking him out he's goes "Arr eh let me in will ya, I haven't missed a Spinners gig in years" 

It wasn't you was it? 

• Haha 1

On 27/01/2018 at 08:28, Total Longo said:

I borrowed it off a friend in work a few months ago, just to see the footage. I reckon I can make myself out on it*

*It could be anyone to be fair.

Severina absolutely soared that night!  All of those Goth women doing the finger/arm wave - magical.

Someone else mentioned the Housemartins at the Royal Court.  Again, I will remember Over There forever.  A brilliant gig that, but that song with the audience energy was unreal.

First gig: Clannad, Southport.  The advert said "with Special Guest" and as a stupid teenager, I thought it meant Bono would join them on stage to sing In a Lifetime.  Like Bono would sit backstage in a theatre in Southport and wait for his big moment.  Like he would every night for a two-week tour of backwater venues across the north of England...

First proper gig: The Icicle Works, Liverpool Uni.  Secret gig, maybe as I can't find any trace of it.  It was 1985, I think.

Best gig: I like seeing upcoming bands at small venues before they take off (Stone Roses, Legends, Warrington etc).  So I loved Back to the Planet, St Helens Citadel - they should have been huge.  What a band; totally won over a quite hostile and sedate audience - everybody was dancing.

Best concert*: Pixies at Old Trafford / The Boss at Sheffield Utd / Bowie at Man City / U2 at Roundhey Park.  McCartney at Glastonbury.

Worst: Happy Mondays at Glastonbury - the wind blew the sound away.  Butthole Surfers at Reading Festival - just terrifying and made me physically sick.

* gigs and concerts are slightly different, so I hope you will give leeway.

On 27/01/2018 at 10:53, Paul said:

First - can’t remember

Best - either BAD II at Ally Pally or the 051, Prince in Manchester or the quadruple header Greenpeace benefit gig of Kraftwerk, BAD II, New Order and U2. I went for Big Audio Dynamite and PE and was amazed to really enjoy U2.

Worst - The Sugarcubes at The Royal Court in the 80s. They did 20 minutes and then walked off after that shouty cunt Bjork had to play second fiddle to jumped into the crowd to kick off at a heckler. Shite.

Of gigs I regret missing, this was near the very top.  I was desperate to get a ticket but couldn't.

I also regret missing Echo and the Bunnymen at the Empire - I chose to watch a dreadful Jesus and Mary Chain at Royal Court as I could only afford one or the other.

The last I would add would be AC/DC in about 92 when they played Donnington.  I had to work, and didn't ask for the day off as I thought the band were probably past it anyway...

What an idiot.

First gig - Queen  Liverpool Empire 1975. The volume was incredible

Best Gig - The Stranglers Glasgow Barrowlands - they tore the roof off the place roared on by a typically reserved Glesga crowd

Worst - Meat Loaf Birmingham NEC 1982 - he was shit and boring, he got nowhere near any notes all night and his band played like they had broken hands

On 26/01/2018 at 11:46, Jenson said:

Worst - Bjorn Again (what was I thinking/drinking/smoking????)

Went to see them in the 90's. Well, i say i went to see them, but i had a skinful of gear beforehand and spent the whole of the gig puking my guts up in the toilet. One of those times when it just won't stop. It did stop, just as they were going offstage. Some sort of fate was involved there, i think.