You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Maynor Figueroa

RafaLaBamba

Figueroa has alot to prove at Wigan he was under relativly little pressure in a defence which was expected to ship a few goals a game at Liverpool there is little or no room for error, hopefully he makes the step up is solid at the back and a good outlet going foward who will keep he ball well maybe even score a few off corners and freekicks. Although i would much prefer for us to go for someone like Fabien Grosso a very underrated LB who was an integral part Italy's Wc triumph in 2006.

Wigan fans are delighted he's leaving. He's fucking shite.

Havent seen enough of him to form an opinion. But I wouldnt worry about what Wigan fans say.

This is just the usual respons from most teams when losing a player. Remember 2004... there were loads of liverpool fans claiming Gerrard was overrated when it looked like he was off...The worst captain ever. etc. It happens everytime.

Havent seen enough of him to form an opinion. But I wouldnt worry about what Wigan fans say.

This is just the usual respons from most teams when losing a player. Remember 2004... there were loads of liverpool fans claiming Gerrard was overrated when it looked like he was off...The worst captain ever. etc. It happens everytime.

Probably a lot of truth in that. As with Jovanovic when he signed, I know so little about Figueroa that I can't comment. At all.

Not really sure why I'm contributing to this thread!

I haven't seen much of him to form an opinion, but here's an interesting input on him by someone on RAWK:

I work at the DW Stadium as a matchday steward and have watched him for 2 seasons now, every single home game and i've been mightily impressed. Figueroa is pretty much everything you'd want in a full back.

I'd say he's stronger defensively than attacking, which is what a full back should be, but thats no detraction on the attacking part of his game. I remember him being in a straight race for the ball with Drogba against Chelsea last year when Wigan won 3-1, the ball was about 25 yards ahead of them both and he kept pace with Drogba all the way and then completely outmuscled him, that tells you all you need to know.

He's much more than that audacious lob against Stoke. Good in the air and equally adept at centre half, i think we'd be getting a real bargain. I've said all summer he would be my first choice LB, even ahead of Cissokho, who i believe he is better than to be honest.

I haven't seen much of him to form an opinion, but here's an interesting input on him by someone on RAWK:

I work at the DW Stadium as a matchday steward and have watched him for 2 seasons now, every single home game and i've been mightily impressed. Figueroa is pretty much everything you'd want in a full back.

I'd say he's stronger defensively than attacking, which is what a full back should be, but thats no detraction on the attacking part of his game. I remember him being in a straight race for the ball with Drogba against Chelsea last year when Wigan won 3-1, the ball was about 25 yards ahead of them both and he kept pace with Drogba all the way and then completely outmuscled him, that tells you all you need to know.

He's much more than that audacious lob against Stoke. Good in the air and equally adept at centre half, i think we'd be getting a real bargain. I've said all summer he would be my first choice LB, even ahead of Cissokho, who i believe he is better than to be honest.

I would say the truth is probably somewhere in the middle of that and "he's fucking shite".

I think we need the balance of one attacking full back and one defensive full back, Johnson and Figueroa would give us this. Much better than last season when we were basically playing with 3 defenders as Insua was and is just pure shite.

I'm excited by the signing though, best of the options out there. Premier League experienced, tough, strong, can play a bit, cheap as well really.

Should be a good signing.

Can't say I've seen anywhere near enough of him to make an informed opinion. The only thing of note I can recall is the wonder striker at Sunderland. Just have to trust the manager on this one if what the agent's saying is true, although can't say the Wigan fan's comments on that forum fill me with too much excitement.

Wigan Forum..

Get in there! He was horrific last season.

I’m chuffed as a butty!

Figs was a major disappointment for me last season and in my book he would have been one of the first players that I would have trying to sell.

6 million?, snap their hands off.

I just hope that Roy Hodgson isn’t reading this thread