You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

First came the French and then the Spanish. Now?

Anny Road

Not particularly slagging Ged or Rafa or the signings they made but both obviously had a knowledge of their homeland when it can to players.

One worry I had with Roy was that we would be trawling the Finnish and Swiss league for bargains.

To say it is refreshing to see us going for British lads is an understatement.

Much as the Spanish lads are crackers a hard core of British lads will be tremendous.

Sorry for the new thread but rum makes me positive.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us going after the likes of Ziegler and even Forssell to bulk up the squad; personally, I wouldn't have a particular problem with that (although I'd be interested to see how much of the more scary wide-eyed optimism stayed intact afterwards).

Baptism of Fire for Roy in the league with Arsenal/City & Mancs coming up in first month or so, nasty start.

Roy will go for players with premier experience as he doesnt have time for them to settle in - we need to get off to a good start or he'll be under pressure and he knows it

To be fair only Cole's been his signing. Wilson and Shelvey were identified before he came. I agree though it's good to see us going after British players.

Don't really agree. The biggest pool of talent is in Spain, which is going through a golden era, and, given our knowledge and drawing power, it would be a shame for us to turn away from that; Alonso, Reina, Torres, Garcia and Arbeloa have been some of the best value for money signings in the last decade. Had we signed their British equivalent, we'd have paid substantially more - Darren Bent was going for slightly less than Torres - for players who are, for lack of better word, contaminated. Not to mention you don't find players like Alonso or Reina in this country.

Besides, it's always great when someone comes from another country and completly immerses themselves in both the club and city.

We have to play everyone twice so it doesnt matter who we play when every team has the same problems

It can make or break a season having said that in the first month the good thing is that we should have everyone available so on that score it good be a good thing they come early

To be fair only Cole's been his signing. Wilson and Shelvey were identified before he came. I agree though it's good to see us going after British players.

I've read elsewhere that we had been in talks with Cole since April.

David Silva has just gone for 25 million, yet Milner is 30 million!

That is probably why most top clubs don't really buy British players unless they are very special, which Milner, Young and Cahill are not.

Cole is a no brainer, and Wilson and Shelvey are investments. If Mascherano goes, then maybe Shawcross and Parker might come, but I can't think of any British players that I would really like us to go for.

Cole is a no brainer, and Wilson and Shelvey are investments. If Mascherano goes, then maybe Shawcross and Parker might come, but I can't think of any British players that I would really like us to go for.

Personally I think both these players would improve us. We were weak in central defence last season and we need a player next to Gerrard in midfield if Masch goes.

Not particularly slagging Ged or Rafa or the signings they made but both obviously had a knowledge of their homeland when it can to players.

One worry I had with Roy was that we would be trawling the Finnish and Swiss league for bargains.

To say it is refreshing to see us going for British lads is an understatement.

Much as the Spanish lads are crackers a hard core of British lads will be tremendous.

Sorry for the new thread but rum makes me positive.

I am delighted with this as well. I would love the club to have a real British feel about it. The foreigners should ideally by the icing on the cake (Torreses and Reinas) while the squad players are from the British isles.

I think local attachment is a part of Barcelona's succes that shouldn't be underestimated.

I think local attachment is a part of Barcelona's succes that shouldn't be underestimated.

I agree. And there's something quite heartwarming about Barca's team being made up of lots of Spanish and home grown youth players.

Compare that to the Inter side that won the Champions League without a single Italian in the starting 11. That was just weird. I think the game has changed now with teams representing the league they play in rather than their country or local area.

Having the best team is the most important thing, but in an ideal world I'd always like to see a British spine to the team, and even better, a team with players from Liverpool.

I don't care if we signed 11 players from Ivory Coast if they were good enough. Most English players are severely over-priced anyway.

I'd care very much if it meant we had players like Drogba, Toure, Eboue and Keita. It'd be cunt overload!

Not that I'm generalising about a whole country of course. Ivorians clearly aren't all cunts, but 99% of them are.

David Silva has just gone for 25 million, yet Milner is 30 million!

That is probably why most top clubs don't really buy British players unless they are very special, which Milner, Young and Cahill are not.

We would be a great side if we got them two.