You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson is a fucking patsy.

lifetime fan

I agree with this. I actually think it's quite refreshing that Hodgson seems to be just really focussed on getting the best out of the players he has etc. Maybe he knows that the conditions he's working under aren't ideal but still feels that he has the players available to produce good football and results.

No one actually knows what Hodgson is doing in terms of targets in, and to me it seems that people are making all sorts of assumptions based on nothing but a hope that he gets the right players in - others are pointing at suggested targets like Scharmer and Beattie, players who would have been laughed at during any previous managers reign but appear to be somehow acceptable if "Roy" is chasing them.

What we do know is that a deal was done for Benayoun - despite the management of the club saying that no players would be sold until a new manager had his say - and that a deal is being conducted for Insua that the manager has admitted he has no idea of what it involves and what the status of this deal is.

I have to say that I'm far more confident in us for next season as Gerrard and Torres both appear to be giving us at least another year, on the other hand I can't help thinking that it's simply a 'stay of execution' for the team. Unless we get knew owners by December then it all seems a little silly to me that we (the club) would part with more than £8 Mill to not change much at all.

Didn't they change those rules when they got rid of a manager for non-football reasons?

Boring, defensive and tactically clueless I've heard before. But it's the first time I've heard his style of play described as "non-football".

I suppose it was the opposite of total football.

I hate Purslow too but I think his input is exaggerated to the max by many people.

and his effect is seemingly ignore by a lot more people.

I can't believe that you actually believe what you typed to be the truth about Purslow - there are so many examples of his lies and forked tongue.

Boring, defensive and tactically clueless I've heard before. But it's the first time I've heard his style of play described as "non-football".

I suppose it was the opposite of total football.

You're joking right - otherwise you're making yourself look like a bit of a clown.

Now I know you'll avoid the relevant parts of my post and try to latch on to some other sillyness but that really is a bit of a stupid post. The "Boring, defensive and tactially clueless" manager you talk about had more of his squad at the World Cup than any other manager in England.

Real Madrid, AC Madrid, Barcelona, Chelsea and Man Utd ALL could stand testament against the claim of him being tactially clueless don't you think?

Don't be a tit.

Beginning of May - Rafa tells Benayoun he has no future here

Beginning of June - we tell Rafa the same

Late June - Hodgson gets the job

Within that 6-7 weeks Yossi has clearly made his mind up. Probably well before that/

Now something about this has confused me - when Benitez got here and Cisse completed his more, People were more than willing to suggest that it was a Benitez decision - Now Hodgeson is here and Bennayoun has been moved on People and how saying this is also a Benitez decision.

There seems to be a disconnect there.

Guest ShoePiss
Now something about this has confused me - when Benitez got here and Cisse completed his more, People were more than willing to suggest that it was a Benitez decision - Now Hodgeson is here and Bennayoun has been moved on People and how saying this is also a Benitez decision.

There seems to be a disconnect there.

I've always been under the impression the deal was done before Benitez arrived. I do remember some saying that he was interested in him while at Valencia but as far as I'm aware he had no say in it at all as it was already a done deal.

Yeah but you said you would prefer Scharner to Aquilani & Lucas, so, you know nothing.

A mixture of footballing ability, amount of games played and financial mathematics all point to scharner being a better signing compared to those two. If you cant see that Im thinking you havent taken your Rafa posters down

I'm genuinely interested to see how he'll do. If we don't lose Torres and Gerrard this will be the first time in England that Hodgeson has had world class players to deploy. He's old school, he's an English manager who understands the English league and I'm eager to see how that will manifest itself in our play. Our last two managers have been much vaunted for their tactical nouse and technical thinking, and while it's often worked in Europe it's come unstuck in England because - IMO - english footy is a pretty simple beast. You need width, speed and aggression and you're 75% of the way home.

I've always said that it's no coincidence that the only manager to come close to breaking Ferguson's stranglehold here was the one - Maureen - who built the most 'English-style' club side in the league. Pace, agreession, height and strength up front.

Give the man a chance.

Edited by Section_31

Hodgson had Zanetti at Inter aswell.

A mixture of footballing ability, amount of games played and financial mathematics all point to scharner being a better signing compared to those two. If you cant see that Im thinking you havent taken your Rafa posters down

Fuck me, you would really prefer Scharner to Lucas & Aquilani?

He's not the best midfielder at Wigan, and you think he's better than Lucas & Aquilani.

That's laughable.

Go on then, explain to me how that bit in bold happens? And once again, if you call someone a patsy, you're saying they're being set up for a big fall and they've no clue it's coming.

It's a suspicion based on a couple of not unreasonable assumptions:

1) The Americans plan to continue making unpopular moves until someone finally stumps up their asking price - e.g. selling big stars over the manager's head, only to pocket all or most of the proceeds, giving the manager small change if anything to replace them with;

2) Should they go ahead and sell, say, Torres, Gerrard and Mascherano, this transfer window, and then provide the new manager with only enough funds to buy lower-class replacements - let's say Doyle, Murphy and Scharner - and the team goes on to perform poorly in 2010/11, then it's a fair bet they will be in line for some stick. If that new manager is Dalglish, Lippi, Hiddink or Capello, it's 100% certain that the owners will be blamed, rather than the coach. If, however, the new coach is a lesser light - and it is only with the greatest of respect that I suggest Roy may fit that bill, compared to the other names - it may be possible for the owners, along with the board, to create a feeling (in the ways that we know they do) in the media and therefore the public (including the, let's say, 85% of Liverpool supporters who are not knowledgeable on the club's predicament) that Liverpool's failure to improve on last season's efforts is the fault of the new manager.

Regardless of whether the above is the case or not (and I am only suggesting it might be), I unequivocally want Roy Hodgson to succeed this season, and to enjoy a trophy-laden tenure under new ownership.

You're joking right - otherwise you're making yourself look like a bit of a clown.

Now I know you'll avoid the relevant parts of my post and try to latch on to some other sillyness but that really is a bit of a stupid post. The "Boring, defensive and tactially clueless" manager you talk about had more of his squad at the World Cup than any other manager in England.

Real Madrid, AC Madrid, Barcelona, Chelsea and Man Utd ALL could stand testament against the claim of him being tactially clueless don't you think?

How can you not think what he wrote was a joke?!