You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson is a fucking patsy.

lifetime fan

Rafa had already left and the 'club' agreed the deal.

The scouting department that recommended Aquilani and Dossena?

Where is the new manager 'stamping his seal of authority'?

That is exactly it though Brownie. He isn't.

If he was he'd never have even spoken to Cecil let alone accept the job under the stupid fucking terms imposed on him.

You seem to be jumping the gun as you are speculating quite heavily there. You maybe right of course, but it is guesswork on your behalf.

See what pans out.

I'm all for giving Roy a chance, but how you can not be alarmed is beyond me the comments on Masch, Purslow being left with Torres and seeming not to be in the know regarding transfers is highly worrying.

Mascherano wants to hop it, while Purslow has to speak to Torres, like any other senior figure running the club.

These comments and conferences are forensically analysed, far too often for our own good. What somebody said, is not what somebody else thinks they said. Let the events pan out for themselves and see where we are after it.

Some right fucking emotional sissies on this forum.

Still think the thread maker was drunk, and has had/will have a hangover as he shakes his head reading this. Reading this lot with a hangover would be a killer though, feel sorry for him if so.

I don't think a reasoned analysis of the beginning of Roy's tenure can be established until at least the 1st September when we can see our full ongoing squad & the inputs & outputs of players & cash.

At this stage I am hoping that he will gain better rewards from the hierarchy & the playing staff with his avuncular style than Rafa did last season with his gunboat diplomacy & more abrasive style , but obviously the 'proof of the pudding' will be in the net spend.

The line between diplomat & patsy ( yes I thought it was a fairly well known term ) is very fine in these circumstances and will I suspect be judged by success or otherwise on the pitch, as it should be in my opinion.

The optimistic side of me thinks that Roy has probably timed his entry very well as he comes with lowered expectations but with plenty of pretty obvious things that he can do which should have a positive effect on the playing side, & potential negatives clouding the sides who finished immediately above us last season.

All we can do for now is give him our support, try not to get too wound up by the constant crap that passes for journalism in this country & wait to see what actually transpires.

I don't think a reasoned analysis of the beginning of Roy's tenure can be established until at least the 1st September when we can see our full ongoing squad & the inputs & outputs of players & cash.

At this stage I am hoping that he will gain better rewards from the hierarchy & the playing staff with his avuncular style than Rafa did last season with his gunboat diplomacy & more abrasive style , but obviously the 'proof of the pudding' will be in the net spend.

The line between diplomat & patsy ( yes I thought it was a fairly well known term ) is very fine in these circumstances and will I suspect be judged by success or otherwise on the pitch, as it should be in my opinion.

The optimistic side of me thinks that Roy has probably timed his entry very well as he comes with lowered expectations but with plenty of pretty obvious things that he can do which should have a positive effect on the playing side, & potential negatives clouding the sides who finished immediately above us last season.

All we can do for now is give him our support, try not to get too wound up by the constant crap that passes for journalism in this country & wait to see what actually transpires.

Good post

[quote name=TheResonator;2359666

Benitez was a right man. Not necessarily in tactics - that's arguable - but in attitude and integrity and in his ambition and desire for the club' date=' and he was incompatible with what he had above him.

[/quote]

I believe Benitez was the wrong man because of he had little integrity and his attitude was wrong, and that's before we get to the on the pitch shenanigans of last year.

I've held back for as long as I can, I can't any longer.

I've been polite, listened to absolute shit from some of the worst posters on here, and still not reacted to his appointment.

Not any longer.

We all knew he was the wrong appointment. Rafa wasn't right either by the way in my opinion, so don't turn this into a typical Rafa war.

The guy is a decent gentleman, admired by a lot and liked by many. That is simply not enough to manage this football club though.

The guy would have taken this job under any circumstances, this was his swansong and regardless of how much he'd be fucked over by the owners, the board, Broughton and Purslow he grabbed it with both hands.

He'll soon realise what a poisoned chalice this club is and I hope to fucking God he regrets losing all his credibility. Granted no one ever thought him a top manager, that’s why we appointed him for fucks sake.

He is the patsy to take the flak and if he couldn't have predicted that then is he the kind of intelligent manager we need?

Of course not.

He is a shield, the owners know it, the board know it, Broughton and Purslow know it but as they don't "take the fans for granted" they would never place 'collateral damage' in the way of protecting themselves would they?

Look at what Hodgson has gone on record as saying.

"This is the biggest manager’s job in the world".

But it isn't the biggest club in the world Roy? Could a small time shitty club where the board has more control than the manager seriously provide the biggest managers role in the world? Fuck no.

So what you are saying is, Liverpool are not the biggest club in the world (I worked at Inter and don't want to upset anyone) but I as manager have the biggest job in the world?

The list goes on.

Insua? "Talks had already taken place and I do not know the progress".

Torres? "He is not for sell. But I left him with Purslow and you'll have to ask him"

Mascherano? "I've left messages but he hasn't got back to me. He had a difficult World Cup though and it can be difficult getting in contact with someone".

The guy is a fucking patsy. A nice 'suffern' patsy with a few mates in the media but a patsy all the same.

He will be a fucking nightmare and I will truely be sorry for him.

He never deserved us, or vice versa.

I think you're wrong, and it's quite an insulting post. Putting selected words in bold to highlight their wrongness is not a wise thing to do either.

Some people had never heard of the word 'patsy' in the context of the JFK assassination? One of the most famous lines in US history and many people had no idea, I would say people's lack of historical knowledge is more worrying than all the crying about Hodgson's appointment. I'm fully behind Roy, he seems a top bloke and since we seem to know very little about transfer targets, he seems to be keeping things in-house; good on him. Looking forward to seeing how he sets us up for the Arsenal game.

Guest davelfc

I've read a lot of this thread and you know what? I'm having a pasty for lunch now.

Oh and Hodgson is not a patsy, Oswald was a patsy, he told us as much. Hodgson is a yes man.

Mascherano wants to hop it, while Purslow has to speak to Torres, like any other senior figure running the club.

These comments and conferences are forensically analysed, far too often for our own good. What somebody said, is not what somebody else thinks they said. Let the events pan out for themselves and see where we are after it.

Yes I understand that Purslow has to talk to Torres but without the manager? We know Purslow is a snake if he has anything to say to Nando why not say it when Roy was already there?

With Masch nobody is unreachable just sounds odd, and even more so that Roy felt it was needed to be said aloud, imo it shows that Roy isn't respected and why he would want to convey that is beyond me. Sets a precedent.

But the main thing was the apparent lack of involvement in the transfers. While I appreciate stuff would ave been going on in the background to ensure we didn't stand still and be left with the dregs but Roy is here now and sill seems to be in the dark.

I agree with the poster that says we should wait until 1st Sept and I will give Roy my full backing even if he wasn't my first choice.

But you cant help looking at the situation and analyse it. Maybe my interpretation is bollocks and I sincerely hope it is but we cant think its all going be OK.

A lot of people seem to think that Roy's a placid, rather simple man who's getting played by the Evil Purslow. Forgive me for thinking that a) I don't think Purslow is that smart and b) people are doing a man who's been in the game for a lot longer than they've been watching it a huge disservice.

I think Roy will do a good job, certainly better than last seasons pitiful effort, which is the main reason we have a new manager.

I also think Hodgson is being misrepresented as a weak,compliant stooge. I think he is nobody`s fool and is made of sterner stuff than a lot of you seem to suspect.

I`m sure he came into this job with his eyes wide open as to the problems he would inherit and the financial limitations he`d be forced to work with. But I`m sure he will do the job to the best of his ability and try and get the most out of the resources available to him as his job description demands.

I`m glad Rafa and his negativity are gone and I`m cautiously optimistic about Hodgson but quite rightly he will be judged on results,.

Sayers beans & sausage or meat and potato. Scrumptious.

I've never had a beans and sausage from Sayers where the beans have been less than 5,000 degrees. The 1st degree burns to my mouth and throat have, thus far, hampered my enjoyment. I will take your word for it mind.

Greggs did a chilli steak one for Halloween last year and it was fucking immense

I am all for Roy Hodgson but some of the comments coming from him are a concern.

This French kid should NOT be signed if he hasnt seen him and was reccommended by Macia. If the transfers are out of his hands it is VERY alarming.

It seems he is being undermined already.

Our club is a fucking mess and I feel sorry for the manager already.

With the initial poast hammering Hodgson though, well harsh and it is obvious you are STILL crying over the departure of someone else I cant even be arsed mentioning. Was he also not a Patsy when he signed his 5 year much improved contract last season knowing it was only done to appease the fans?

Cheers for the neg.

Have some rep to counterbalance, because I think Simon hasn't read your opening post properly and saw it as an out and out attack on Hodgson. Which it wasn't. As I read it, it was an attck on the owners and the board.

A lot of people seem to think that Roy's a placid, rather simple man who's getting played by the Evil Purslow. Forgive me for thinking that a) I don't think Purslow is that smart and b) people are doing a man who's been in the game for a lot longer than they've been watching it a huge disservice.

I agree with this. I actually think it's quite refreshing that Hodgson seems to be just really focussed on getting the best out of the players he has etc. Maybe he knows that the conditions he's working under aren't ideal but still feels that he has the players available to produce good football and results.

That doesn't make him a patsy or a yes man, in my opinion, it just means that he's focussed on getting his players to do well.

Is Ferguson a patsy, seeing as he's said nothing about the Glazers? I'm sure he'd have loved to have spent more money over the last few years and not be owned by people who are riddled with debt, but he's just got on with getting his team to play good football and challenge for titles.

I'm not making any definitive statements here because the OP may be right and in time we would find out about that, but so far there is very little evidence to suggest any of that post is correct. Indeed, today is our first game under Hodgson so a ball hasn't even been kicked in earnest and yet there's a lot of criticism towards him from all sides.

It used to be about football.

Retribution for Rafa, and no "I thought he had to go" tag-on will convince anyone otherwise.

Opening post actually states it was time for Rafa to go. But don't let that detract from trying to turn it into something it isn't.