You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Reina vs Casillas

Who's the better goalkeeper?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the better goalkeeper?

• Jose Reina
    • Iker Casillas
    • Massimo Taibi

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long way to go there.

You may have just shown your age.

Really? If he's here for the entirety of his career til he's say 35-38? That would have meant he'd have been our number 1 for 13-16 years, looking at how he's improved and how consistent he's become, and the amount of golden gloves he's racked up in his 5 years here, I think he can surpass Ray Clemence.

I think he can surpass Ray Clemence.

I hope so.

* 5 First Division championship winners medals (1973, 1976, 1977, 1979 and 1980)

* FA Cup winners medal (1974)

* 3 European Cup (1977, 1978 and 1981)

* 2 UEFA Cup winners medals (1973 and 1976)

* League Cup winners medal (1981)

* European Super Cup winners medal (1977)

* 5 Charity Shield winners medals (1974, 1976, 1977 (shared), 1979 and 1980)

* 2 First Division (level 1) runners-up medals (1974 and 1978)

* 2 F.A Cup runners-up medal (1971 and 1977)

* Football League Cup runners-up medal 1978

* Charity Shield runners-up medal (1971)

* European Super Cup runners-up medal (1978)

I hope so.

* 5 First Division championship winners medals (1973, 1976, 1977, 1979 and 1980)

* FA Cup winners medal (1974)

* 3 European Cup (1977, 1978 and 1981)

* 2 UEFA Cup winners medals (1973 and 1976)

* League Cup winners medal (1981)

* European Super Cup winners medal (1977)

* 5 Charity Shield winners medals (1974, 1976, 1977 (shared), 1979 and 1980)

* 2 First Division (level 1) runners-up medals (1974 and 1978)

* 2 F.A Cup runners-up medal (1971 and 1977)

* Football League Cup runners-up medal 1978

* Charity Shield runners-up medal (1971)

* European Super Cup runners-up medal (1978)

Like I said, we'll judge when Reina has played his final game for Liverpool (Hopefully at the end of the next decade)

Some might think Reina would get the vote because he play for us, but in the Norwegian TV2 World Cup studio most of the experts have said they think Reina is the better keeper, this includes once again Henning Berg (PL winner with Blackburn and the mancs) and also former Sevilla keeper and Norwegian international Frode Olsen who should know his stuff about keepers.

Reina is a superb keeper, but Casillas is not half bad either and since he is the most capped player in the Spanish team and they do reasonable well with him in goal I cant see Reina being given his chance no matter how good he is.

Since we talk about Reina I`ll like to put forward two areas where I think he could improve and what I see as his only weaknesses.

First he is prone to the occasional mistake when dealing with crosses and he can certainly improve here compared to others and the second is that I think he too often is beaten at his first post, especially from the right.

Apart from that, he is outstanding.

Some might think Reina would get the vote because he play for us, but in the Norwegian TV2 World Cup studio most of the experts have said they think Reina is the better keeper, this includes once again Henning Berg (PL winner with Blackburn and the mancs) and also former Sevilla keeper and Norwegian international Frode Olsen who should know his stuff about keepers.

Reina is a superb keeper, but Casillas is not half bad either and since he is the most capped player in the Spanish team and they do reasonable well with him in goal I cant see Reina being given his chance no matter how good he is.

Since we talk about Reina I`ll like to put forward two areas where I think he could improve and what I see as his only weaknesses.

First he is prone to the occasional mistake when dealing with crosses and he can certainly improve here compared to others and the second is that I think he too often is beaten at his first post, especially from the right.

Apart from that, he is outstanding.

Diaby's goal in 2008 in the CL, and Drogba's last year at Stamford Bridge both spring to mind.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
You can count the number of howlers Pepe has made on one hand. Casilias has been gaff-prone his entire career. Although he is the best shot stopper around, Pepe is easily the better all round 'keeper.

In my opinion, you won't find a more succinct and accurate summary of the situation than this.

wouldnt swap pepe for any keeper in the world, goalkeepers are under rated in the premier league shay given is also an excellant keeper but overall in every aspect of his game pepe is a little better than than the rest, hes been very unlucky that casiiias is the captain other than that he would be dropped

Iker makes mistakes more often than Pepe but he has the number position and in International footie it's harder to get in the side than it is to get outta it.

Imagine if Spain lashed Pepe in and he made a mistake? They'd be out for him because Iker was dropped and he never does make. It's bollocks but how it seems to work, especially in that level of football.

Pepe is better though!

too often is beaten at his first post.

Mate, I just don't see how you can use the phrase "too often" in relation to Pepe Reina conceding goals. How many Golden Gloves awards is it now? I accept it may be a minor weakness, but you make it sound like he lets one in there every other week.

Mate, I just don't see how you can use the phrase "too often" in relation to Pepe Reina conceding goals. How many Golden Gloves awards is it now? I accept it may be a minor weakness, but you make it sound like he lets one in there every other week.

Maybe it was bad wording on my part, but when I say too often its because thats how I see it.

Its the only position where I have seen him concede goals repeatedly and thought that was a mistake he should have saved that one, and when its happened that many times that I actually have noticed it, then I would say its "too often".

But as you pointed out, its not something that happens every week is it.