You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Roy Hodgson Thread

BexBissel

Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?

"He makes the right noises in the right language, the language that is understood from the corporate world to the UEFA technical committees where Hodgson has permanent membership. It is the language of bullshit."

He'll be judged on his actions more than his words.

hodgson hasn't been that silent,he's been here a couple of days and said "the best thing for the club is for the owners sell the club as soon as possible"

What did you expect him to? Demand that the owners stay at the same press conference Broughton is saying they are expxecting bids within the month?

Doesn't seem to dissimilar to me, to be honest. He's saying he wants the club to be sold. It all amounts to the same thing, in my opinion.

He wants the club to be sold. H&G want the club to be sold.

There is a difference between "wanting the club sold" and "wanting H&G out", surely? The Mirror man was filling in his own gaps with a previous quotation which was an answer to a different question.

Saying he wants the club sold doesn't mean he's not a yes man.

In this instance there is no evidence to suggest he is a yes man (though I believe he is - he's pinchng himself he's got the Liverpool job), but saying he wants the club sold is not rocking the boat. It's exactly what G&H want. So saying he wants the club sold would please them if anything!

hodgson hasn't been that silent,he's been here a couple of days and said "the best thing for the club is for the owners sell the club as soon as possible"

Tom Hicks would say exactly the same!!!! That's why it's FOR SALE.

You don't have your house for sale and hope nobody buys it. And as for "as soon as possible" if you were selling your house, would you want to sell it now or in 2 years?

Great article by the way. He's pretty straight-talking isn't he?

“He can also be rigid and inflexible as well. Certain players hit a bad run of form at Fulham but Roy refused to make changes even though their performances on the field were deteriorating.”

Quite the opposite of what others have said. We'll find out soon enough when we get there.

Interesting, the press is divided already, just as the fans are. Usually a new LFC manager is given at least a season (and then another) to show what he can do. I guess the times we live in cannot be described as "usual".

The article is well written and voices the concerns of many. It is up to Hodgson now, his baby from here on. He is what he is, to me he seems a lot like Fanning writes, but he is the manager now. Let's see his actions and give him a chance, taking into account the circumstances he works in.

I normally like Fanning's articles and have great admiration for him but that had some needlessly cheap and cynical digs at Hodgson. Most of the rest was good, but that was beneath him.

This.

Is anyone else out there waiting to see how the team performs over the first part of the season before deciding whether Hodgson's managerial skills are up to the job? In the past I've been wrong about managers, e.g. I thought Ramos would do well at Spurs, so I'm in no rush to condemn Hodgson.

Load of shite that shows massive disrespect to our new manager with him not even comfy in his office yet.

Fanning really is on the outside of the tent pissing in when it comes to LFC.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Then again, I shouldn't expect anything different really. When it comes to 'massive disrespect' and being 'outside the tent pissing in when it comes to LFC', there are few people better qualiified to comment than you John.

I see people missing the point of the article already.

Hodgson is just the symptom of the disease, sure. But he will be the talking point, that's just part of the responsibilities he took on. It's way harder to concentrate on the bankers and the owners, I would expect them to stay behind the scenes as much as possible from here on.