You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Frank Sidebottom Dies

Jokerman

Frank Sidebottom dies after collapsing at home - Manchester Evening News

Comedy legend Frank Sidebottom has died after he was found collapsed at his home in Hale.

The comedian, whose real name was Chris Sievey, was recovering from an operation to remove a tumour from his chest.

Chris started out as a musician in the 1970s and created the character Frank Sidebottom, known for an outsized papier-mache head, as a music fan from Timperley who followed his band The Freshies.

The character became increasingly popular and Chris put together a stand-up comedy routine which was performed entirely in character as Frank Sidebottom. He went on to become a regular on TV and had his own show, Frank Sidebottom's Fantastic Shed Show on ITV.

He also performed on radio shows including Piccadilly Radio, where Chris Evans was his driver, and on the BBC with Mark Radcliffe and Marc Riley.

Last month it emerged that he had been diagnosed with cancer and was facing an operation to remove a tumour from his chest.

But he carried on working and only last week he launched a comedy song for the World Cup, titled Three Shirts On My Line.

Chris posted a message on his Twitter account on Sunday morning saying: "I'm still feeling very poorly".

Mr Sievey was found collapsed at his home in Hawthorn Road, Hale, by his girlfriend and she called an ambulance at 12.40 am on Monday.

It is understood he was still alive when the ambulance arrived and he was taken to Wythenshawe Hospital but he was pronounced dead shortly afterwards.

Wythenshawe Hospital confirmed Chris died in the early hours.

A spokesman said a post-mortem examination was due to be carried out to determine the exact cause of his death.

Mark Alston, 34, a close friend for many years who helped organise Chris’s appearances as Frank Sidebottom, said: “It is just really awful. I just feel in shock. He was a big comedy name in Greater Manchester – one of the biggest. He was also a musical genius and a good friend to many. He was a legend in the region and will be missed.

“He was carrying on performing right until the end. He was saying that he was going to get shut of the cancer and not to cancel any more bookings.

“He had a massive group of friends and associates. He influenced and brought happiness to thousands of people.”

Related articles:

Frank Sidebottom is fighting cancer

Frank thanks fans for messages of support

Frank Sidebottom sketches the bald truth for charity

frank-sidebottom1.jpg

Sad day, me and my mate used to listen to tapes of Frank's radio show back in the day and be in stitches.

Forgot about that, used to make me cry laughing as a kid. Just hope little Frank can cope.

A real snipers dream.

Edited by ted tucker

Bobbins.

^

They had a few bits in the Evening News when he was disagnosed with cancer and he only agreed to be interviewed in character, so the first piece was something like:

Manchester comedy legend Chris Sievey, better known as Frank Sidebottom has been diagnosed with cancer. Speaking from his Timperley home, Frank said "It's proper bobbins, this cancer."

They're probably still on the MEN's website somewhere.