You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Over the top

catinhat

Guest Dancing Dave
Then give us the counter arguments.

You are taking a lot of stick on here at the moment - some deserved - but within your non ranty posts you make some fair points.

Do you think we are going in the right direction?>.

The season starts with the purchase of two players we all believe will strengthen our squad, plus the French kids. Pre season we hear that Hamman, who is pivitol to any success we've had of late, is a long-term injury. A major blow. Meanwhile, Abramovich spends 120 mill in two weks and saves Chelsea from bankruptcy, further adding to pressure on Houllier. Game 5 we lose not one but two key players with broken limbs. The answer is yes I do, and I'd ask anyone who doesn't to consider the above.

Do you think the results/performances are good enough?>>

Some are, not all, and see above. How often has Houllier had a full squad to pick from?

Do you think Houllier knows what he is doing in his team/tactics selection NOW he has a full squad to chose from?>>

He hasn't though has he?? He may have in the next few weeks. Yes, I do.

I have said before nothing would give me greater pleasure to see GH turn it around but I am now no longer convinced that he can. If that makes me a lesser fan than you then so be it.

>

No, it obviously doesn't mean that, provided you've looked at the big picture. Have you??

DD, imo Cheyrou didn't do much, and was taken off. Same with Kewell. I've never said Cheyrou was/is shite. You could argue that he has underperformed his first thrity or so games. I never professed to be a football genius, it was just an opinion. I have nothing against him, and was happy when he started to come round. As would anyone on here.

I actually think Cheyrou played ok. Nothing spectacular, but he was very efficient, didn't give the ball away much (something we can usually only say about Didi), did some nice first time passes, and even won a few tackles.

I think that we do have a tactical problem under Houllier. He is so focussed on discipline and order, that all players have to be conscious of their defensive responsibilites (more than players are at the top 3 in the league).

As I mentioned before, if you look at how much passing and moving Arsenal do, you could argue that they are simly more fit than we are, but a more likely reason is because the defence and disciplined positional side of their play is not drummed into their lot like it's drummed into our team.

Additionally, Arsenal are all about trying to destroy the other team, rather than our priotity, which is avoiding defeat at all costs.

Dancing Dave are you friends with Alan Hansen or something ?You seem intent on repeating his infamous quote of you win nothing with kids despite having a first team full of players with experience of playing in European competions and for their respective countries .Perhaps instead of using our "young team " as an excuse (maybe you work for age concern ) you should accept poor tactics and a fifth rate squad as the real reasons for our poor displays this season (and last season ).

Red Peter - I don't think that our squad is that poor ("5th rate"). If anything I think that the strength of our squad paired with our poor results, performance and league position simply illustrates that the problem is with tactics and mentality rather than squad.

I accept that people (including myself) have gripes about Diao, Traore, Heskey, Biscan etc playing for Liverpool, but if you look at our squad player for player, we should be way ahead of the likes of Charlton, Villa, Newcastle, Fulham, and we should certainly be nearer the top 3.

When ever I see a Man U team sheet, I just can't believe how crap they look on paper - Putting aside the fact that they play for an evil team, Would you want the likes of Fortune, Neville (in midfied), Forlan, Djemba Djemba, Mark Walters (...I mean Mr Step-over, over rated, over priced Ronaldo), Wes Brown, Butt, Bellion etc in our squad? They're no better than the players we have, but somehow the Mancs manage to get the most out of their players.

Aresenal also manage to get the most out of their players. They have some outstanding players, but they also have people like Cole (great going forward but very suspect defensively), Parlour (would he get onto our subs bench?), Lauren (not naturally a right back) Gilberto (hasn't really made the expected impact) and a keeper who was once sent off for punching one of his own players. but what ever they do on the training ground or the tactics room, enables them to play as a fluid team much better than we do.

Guest Dancing Dave
DD, imo Cheyrou didn't do much, and was taken off. Same with Kewell. I've never said Cheyrou was/is shite. You could argue that he has underperformed his first thrity or so games. I never professed to be a football genius, it was just an opinion. I have nothing against him, and was happy when he started to come round. As would anyone on here.

You actually said he was a non-entity (on the day). How many non-entities do you see get a standing ovation?? He was warmly applauded, and returned that applause, as he came off with EIGHT minutes left, as he was clearly f*cked.

I'd agree he hasn't performed in his early games, but recently he's shown he has some nice touches, and seems to play well with SG.

not to belittle Cheyrous recent form but Who wouldn't look good playing alongside Stevie G ???? The guy is colossul

Good to see Cheyrou show something for LFC - the goals were nice bonuses and if he can up his performance and fitness a nothch , we might finally see what got him his caps

Have to agree with catinhat ther, spot on. I was just saying the same thing to a mate of mine the other day.

On paper our squad is as good as utd's for instance but I think it comes down to the system you play. They get it drilled into them to pass, pass, pass - i wouldn't be surprised if most of their training (and Arsenals) was five asides like when we had Shanks. Such is their situation that when a player gets injured they bring in someone else who may be inferior but knows exactly what their job is and carries it out to the letter. The only reason they do so is because all they are actually doing is passing and then moving. As Tom Ross says, simple really!

What it comes down to is training and the coaching staff. Seeing as this is directly where Ged is involved, he doesn't have a leg to stand on i'm afraid. For so long iv'e tried to be patient but five years is enough.

One thing i'm definitely starting to think is that the players don't want to play for him anymore - it's becoming really clear in the performances. I've never been an advocate of changing managers mid-season but I think it needs to be done now because we will not finish fourth this season - and even if we do, since when is that good enough?

I've never been keen on O'neill since he was first linked with us, but i'm really starting to consider it as an option now. There are definitely some big qualms i've got about his teams - the style of play etc but to be fair he makes players play and with the quality of players we've got I think he just might be the answer.

Ok lads everyone has their various opinions on what players are/arent good enough to play for Liverpool. But bottom line is 2 years of mediocrity has got us nowhere. Excuse after excuse after (guess what) excuse!!!

We are nowhere nearer winning the title now then we were 6 years ago and after over 100m spent on players I think its time GH went.

Hes taken us as far as he can go now let someone else take over.

Bottom line - HE HAS TO GO! :dunno: