You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cameron: "Cuts will change our way of life"

Section_31

The media is as complicit in the fucking up of society as much if not more than anything else. They highlight and promote the trivial. Have you seen the daily mail website I've no idea what the paper is like but the site is essentially celebrity gossip, old shit and current bullshit stories that can be found on the web. Alongside hate filed agenda driven shite lapped up by huge swarms of people because they glimpse the headline next to a picture of some celebrities circled cellulite.

How come they can circumnavigate EU laws and rulings when it suits their own agenda. I'm not even sure I'm against the law what they are proposing entirely but rushing something through so fast railroading it in, all three party leaders making this decision without wanting or needing consent from anybody else certainly doesn't feel democratic.

Living in Britain now is basically like going to Barcelona dressed as the Million Dollar Man. The media plays the accordion and tries to dance with you while the politicians' friends try and sneak up behind you and lift your wallet. 

• Upvote 1

I don't think the same class divisions exist in modern politics.

Very true.

The Parliamentary Tory party is anti Europe, Tory business is pro Europe, the average Tory voter not nearly as bothered as the leadership thinks.

The Labour Party has been weak on immigration, but immigrants come here for a "traditional" Britain, and those most threatened by new immigration are recent immigrants and the traditional working class vote.

The Lib Dems have been exposed by actually having to be part of Government. The Tories will claim to be Liberal on trade, Labour on social policy, which doesn't leave much ground for Clegg and co.

And with the deficit set to peak after the next General Election, the real tough decisions are yet to be made by whoever is in power. As a country we are still living off our overdraft and credit cards.

I recieved an email from one of those petition sites saying the government are selling off the land registery. It states the Land Registry has a 98% satisfaction rating with people who’ve used it. It’s also entirely self-financing, and passes its profits on in reduced fees. So why sell it off.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jul/11/land-registry-privatisation-vetoed-vince-cable

Land Registry privatisation vetoed by Vince Cable

The service employs 4,500 civil servants and made a surplus of £98.8m in 2012-13

Plans to privatise the Land Registry have been abandoned by the government after business secretary Vince Cable vetoed the scheme following a series of rows between Tory and Liberal Democrat ministers.

It had been hoped that a sell-off would raise at least £1.2 bn for the Treasury, with ministers deciding on the appropriate structure, such as creating a deal with a joint venture company.

But this week, ministers will tell parliament that the planned move has been suspended indefinitely. The Conservatives had been in favour of a partial sell-off via the creation of a joint venture.

That's a good move. If that was sold off then it's more than obvious it's not about saving the country money but allowing politicians to have a free for all when they get power and making all their contacts they made on the way up a lot if money probably securing themselves a nice paying future after they have done their stint of theiving.

On the tripling of tuition fees;

The vote was 323 votes to 302. 

21 LD voted against the government

8   LD did not vote

27 LD voted with the government

By my maths 323 -302 = 21, which is less than the 27 principled LD MP's who voted for the good of the country.

They did not even need to vote against something they are were totally opposed to, if only they had been brave enough to not vote at all the government would have lost.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On the tripling of tuition fees;

The vote was 323 votes to 302. 

21 LD voted against the government

8   LD did not vote

27 LD voted with the government

By my maths 323 -302 = 21, which is less than the 27 principled LD MP's who voted for the good of the country.

They did not even need to vote against something they are were totally opposed to, if only they had been brave enough to not vote at all the government would have lost.

Tuition fees were not tripled, and a third of students will pay less over the lifetime of their loan than before.

Say those Lib Dems had abstained, and the government lost the tuition fee vote. What then?

As it happens, I think they should have abstained, then the Tories and Labour could have colluded to put something even worse in place. The people of the country would be fucked over, but we would avoid all the unfair flak that has come our way since then.

It's a lesson for the next Lib Dem leader: put party interests over the interests of the people, because the people will shit all over you.

• Downvote 1

Tuition fees were not tripled, and a third of students will pay less over the lifetime of their loan than before.

Say those Lib Dems had abstained, and the government lost the tuition fee vote. What then?

As it happens, I think they should have abstained, then the Tories and Labour could have colluded to put something even worse in place. The people of the country would be fucked over, but we would avoid all the unfair flak that has come our way since then.

It's a lesson for the next Lib Dem leader: put party interests over the interests of the people, because the people will shit all over you.

I stand corrected, you are right;

The vote to raise the tuition fees ceiling in England from £3,290 to a maximum of £9,000. 

So not tripled only two and three quarters increase.

Again them poor principled people putting the country first.

• Downvote 1

Isn't that what Clegg did when he jumped into bed with the Tories for a brief sniff of power when the LibDems had finally started to gain some real credibility prior to the election. 

• Downvote 1

At the end of the day SD Clegg promised he wouldn't raise them proceeded to do just that, a "Read my lips" moment no matter which way you cut it.

The Lib Dems manifesto was formulated without any idea that they would have to implement it in Government- then oops...

I do think that the country was saved from a period of political uncertainty by the Coalition, and the Lib Dems deserve some credit for that. A minority Tory Govt, or a minority Labour one led by Ed, was not a better option.

Clegg, and the PLDP, saw their opportunity for a once in a lifetime shot at government and took it, you can't blame them for that.

Lower/no tuition fees, like more spending on the NHS, are a Good Thing. But it has to be paid for. Spending on Eduction, in total, is roughly the same as what it is costing us to service the public debt. There are no easy solutions.

I suspect that the Lib Dems will be hammered at the next General Election, but the lessons to be learned transcend their party, for good and bad.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The Lib Dems manifesto was formulated without any idea that they would have to implement it in Government- then oops...

I do think that the country was saved from a period of political uncertainty by the Coalition, and the Lib Dems deserve some credit for that. A minority Tory Govt, or a minority Labour one led by Ed, was not a better option.

Clegg, and the PLDP, saw their opportunity for a once in a lifetime shot at government and took it, you can't blame them for that.

Lower/no tuition fees, like more spending on the NHS, are a Good Thing. But it has to be paid for. Spending on Eduction, in total, is roughly the same as what it is costing us to service the public debt. There are no easy solutions.

I suspect that the Lib Dems will be hammered at the next General Election, but the lessons to be learned transcend their party, for good and bad.

The Lib Dems as a political party had one goal - to show that coalition governments can work, in the hope of getting a vote on electoral reform, in the hope that it would go through, in the hope that they would then be in the powerful position of being the middle party in future split elections and therefore able to participate in a lot of future governments.

Unfortunately they completely misunderstood the people who vote for them.