You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New left back

Cantrell20

My left back shortlist would be:

Oscar Wendt from Copenhagen - 0

Taye Taiwo from Marseille - 0

Reto Ziegler from Sampdoria - 0

Benoit Tremoulinas from Bordeaux - 6-7 mln pounds

Dennis Aogo from Hambourg - 6-7 mln pounds,one year remaining on his deal

Versatile Martin Caceres from Barcelona - 4 mln pounds,one year remaining on his deal

Cuadrado from Udinese - 6-7 mln pounds

Davide Santon from Inter - 8-10 pounds

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to reports emerging from Italian press who get it spot on more often than not,Taye Taiwo is a dead cert to join Liverpool. We gave up on Ziegler as he is a virtually Lazio player now. Santon can play on both full-back positions and would be a great bit of business,as he's only 20 this year.

Well, we have definitely looked at Izaguirre and Enrique. I've not heard anything about us looking at Taiwo or Ziegler or anyone like that. I don't think we need to spend a fortune on the left back position as Johnson has done very well there for the most part and we have Robinson coming through. I think Baines would be a great signing for us but would no doubt cost more than we are looking to spend on the position.

think we defo need to spend here, its crucial we start next season with a solid back four and to get them playing together regular to give us that extra bit of stability at the back. The injuries and resultant constant changes in def have been one of our biggest problems this season.

Taiwo is a hopelessly bad defender. God-awful marking, concentration, positioning, you name it. He's got a very powerful shot, but that's about it and it's not exactly the first attribute I would be looking for in a left-back.

Pretty much. He's all brawn and no brain, at either end of the pitch. One to avoid.

He's really not like that but its your opinion.

Perhaps that is a over-critical review, but I think Taiwo is exactly the sort of footballer that our fans would be rating as utter shite by October after he's been culpable for us conceding a number of goals and wasted possession easily on numerous occasions in attack.

Perhaps that is a over-critical review, but I think Taiwo is exactly the sort of footballer that our fans would be rating as utter shite by October after he's been culpable for us conceding a number of goals and wasted possession easily on numerous occasions in attack.

I don't think thats down to him being a 'stupid' footballer, really. He wants to run forward/cause problems for the opposition in their final third.

Pretty much sums him up.

Really hope its Enrique.

It's where the smart money is I'd say and if we can get Taiwo as well on a free we probably will.

I still want Ansaldi, he's class.

Would love us to bang a bid in for Van Der Wiel and play Kelly at CB. VDW will end up at Milan probably though given their links with them.

Guest PurpleNose
It's where the smart money is I'd say and if we can get Taiwo as well on a free we probably will.

I still want Ansaldi, he's class.

Would love us to bang a bid in for Van Der Wiel and play Kelly at CB. VDW will end up at Milan probably though given their links with them.

I'd be happy with Enrique and Isla. The latter would be the sort of Arbeloa style utility player we've lacked since he left. He can play either fullback position, and central midfield, in various formations.

Not seen enough of Ansaldi to comment either way. Only the couple of televised Kazan Champions League games.