You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Reserves to play tournament in Dortmund

PaulMcC

Reds ready for Dortmund test - Liverpool FC

Liverpool Reserves will fly out to Germany later today as they prepare to tackle the likes of Schalke, Bayern Munich and AC Milan in the prestigious RUHR.2010 Cup.

Video: Reserves' Player of the Season>>The eight-team tournament, which will be contested in Dortmund, will be played out from Thursday to Monday, with matches taking place on each day to determine which side clinches the trophy.

The Reds will go head-to-head with German duo Schalke and Bayern as well as Italian giants AC Milan, while the other group in the competitions pits hosts Dortmund against Kaizer Chiefs, Werder Bremen and Fenerbahce.

The top two teams from each group will then do battle in the semi-finals on Sunday, before the final takes place the following day - and McMahon believes the competition will provide his young squad with some quality experience in their development.

"It'll be a great experience," the second-string boss told Liverpoolfc.tv. "They'll be playing against European players, who have a different mentality in terms of the way they play the game, so they'll have to learn how to deal with it.

"Obviously there's also different tactics and systems of play they'll need to get used to - not everyone will play 4-4-2 so they'll need to adapt.

"We're taking a very young squad. It's predominantly an U19 tournament, although you're allowed six U20 players. I'm sure all of the teams going there will be strong.

"We're taking Jesus Fernandez, a 16-year-old Spanish kid, Jakub Sokolik, who is also 16, and then we're taking Stephen Sama and Thomas Ince from the Academy. The rest of the players will be lads we use anyway."

He added: "It can only be a good experience for the 16-year-olds playing against older players. There are some really, really good clubs in the tournament, so it will be a tough test."

While Liverpool's players may not know too much about their opponents at this stage, McMahon insists ensuring they play to their own strengths will stand them in good stead - and the boss is adamant the Reds will be mentally ready to compete in the tournament, despite a long season.

"We don't know much about the other teams, but obviously there will be international players amongst them," he said.

"We would have liked to have gone with a stronger squad, but Jack Robinson has had to stay behind because of his exams while Conor Coady and Andre Wisdom are away with England.

"We have to get our own set up right - what we think and how we're going to play. Then, if things are not going as we'd like them to, we can adapt during the game.

"It's difficult because it's also the end of the season. Having had a long, difficult season, getting them to focus mentally is a challenge in itself, but once the games come about there won't be any problem in doing that."

Liverpool will take on Schalke on Thursday, before crossing swords with Bayern Munich 24 hours later. Their final group game is scheduled for Saturday against Milan.

McMahon feels the set up of the competition provides his players with the perfect opportunity to indulge in some team bonding before the summer break.

"It gives the younger lads a chance to integrate themselves within the squad and allows everyone to bond," he said. "The lads will be rooming together and getting to know each other.

"We've just come back from a couple of games in Spain and Belgium, so they've had that interaction together too.

"It's good for team morale and for the lads to get to know each other - hopefully that will stand them in good stead for next season."

McMahon added: "It would be nice to end the season with a trophy. We're not just going there to make the numbers up - we want to do well.

"We just hope we can perform to our best. All we can do is try our best and see how we go."

Author: James Carroll

Reds ready for Dortmund test - Liverpool FC

Liverpool Reserves will fly out to Germany later today as they prepare to tackle the likes of Schalke, Bayern Munich and AC Milan in the prestigious RUHR.2010 Cup.

Video: Reserves' Player of the Season>>The eight-team tournament, which will be contested in Dortmund, will be played out from Thursday to Monday, with matches taking place on each day to determine which side clinches the trophy.

The Reds will go head-to-head with German duo Schalke and Bayern as well as Italian giants AC Milan, while the other group in the competitions pits hosts Dortmund against Kaizer Chiefs, Werder Bremen and Fenerbahce.

The top two teams from each group will then do battle in the semi-finals on Sunday, before the final takes place the following day - and McMahon believes the competition will provide his young squad with some quality experience in their development.

"It'll be a great experience," the second-string boss told Liverpoolfc.tv. "They'll be playing against European players, who have a different mentality in terms of the way they play the game, so they'll have to learn how to deal with it.

"Obviously there's also different tactics and systems of play they'll need to get used to - not everyone will play 4-4-2 so they'll need to adapt.

"We're taking a very young squad. It's predominantly an U19 tournament, although you're allowed six U20 players. I'm sure all of the teams going there will be strong.

"We're taking Jesus Fernandez, a 16-year-old Spanish kid, Jakub Sokolik, who is also 16, and then we're taking Stephen Sama and Thomas Ince from the Academy. The rest of the players will be lads we use anyway."

He added: "It can only be a good experience for the 16-year-olds playing against older players. There are some really, really good clubs in the tournament, so it will be a tough test."

While Liverpool's players may not know too much about their opponents at this stage, McMahon insists ensuring they play to their own strengths will stand them in good stead - and the boss is adamant the Reds will be mentally ready to compete in the tournament, despite a long season.

"We don't know much about the other teams, but obviously there will be international players amongst them," he said.

"We would have liked to have gone with a stronger squad, but Jack Robinson has had to stay behind because of his exams while Conor Coady and Andre Wisdom are away with England.

"We have to get our own set up right - what we think and how we're going to play. Then, if things are not going as we'd like them to, we can adapt during the game.

"It's difficult because it's also the end of the season. Having had a long, difficult season, getting them to focus mentally is a challenge in itself, but once the games come about there won't be any problem in doing that."

Liverpool will take on Schalke on Thursday, before crossing swords with Bayern Munich 24 hours later. Their final group game is scheduled for Saturday against Milan.

McMahon feels the set up of the competition provides his players with the perfect opportunity to indulge in some team bonding before the summer break.

"It gives the younger lads a chance to integrate themselves within the squad and allows everyone to bond," he said. "The lads will be rooming together and getting to know each other.

"We've just come back from a couple of games in Spain and Belgium, so they've had that interaction together too.

"It's good for team morale and for the lads to get to know each other - hopefully that will stand them in good stead for next season."

McMahon added: "It would be nice to end the season with a trophy. We're not just going there to make the numbers up - we want to do well.

"We just hope we can perform to our best. All we can do is try our best and see how we go."

Author: James Carroll

Ayala seals Schalke win - Liverpool FC

Ayala seals Schalke win

A header from Daniel Ayala was enough to get Liverpool Reserves off to a winning start in the RUHR.2010 Cup in Germany on Thursday night.

The defender nodded home a Gerardo Bruna free-kick on seven minutes to wrap up a 1-0 win over Schalke.

Several Academy youngsters including 17-year-old John Flanagan took part in the game, which was played out in two 30 minute periods.

Nicola Saric was forced off with a groin injury after 25 minutes, ruling him out of Friday night's clash with Bayern Munich. Alex Kacaniklic is expected to come in.

Manager John McMahon said: "It's a good start because we're one of the youngest teams here. A lot of the other teams are older.

"We'll have to make a couple of changes tonight, especially because of the heat out here."

The tournament is based in Dortmund.

Ayala seals Schalke win - Liverpool FC

Ayala seals Schalke win

A header from Daniel Ayala was enough to get Liverpool Reserves off to a winning start in the RUHR.2010 Cup in Germany on Thursday night.

The defender nodded home a Gerardo Bruna free-kick on seven minutes to wrap up a 1-0 win over Schalke.

Several Academy youngsters including 17-year-old John Flanagan took part in the game, which was played out in two 30 minute periods.

Nicola Saric was forced off with a groin injury after 25 minutes, ruling him out of Friday night's clash with Bayern Munich. Alex Kacaniklic is expected to come in.

Manager John McMahon said: "It's a good start because we're one of the youngest teams here. A lot of the other teams are older.

"We'll have to make a couple of changes tonight, especially because of the heat out here."

The tournament is based in Dortmund.

The ressies drew with Milan in their final group game, but went out of the tournament on the goals scored rule, after all 4 teams ended the group with 4 points and goal difference of 0.

Bayern

A late goal condemned Liverpool Reserves to an undeserved 1-0 defeat against Bayern Munich in the RUHR.2010 Cup in Germany on Friday night.

The inexperienced Reds dominated their illustrious opponents but fell to a solitary goal seven minutes from time.

A win against AC Milan on Saturday would still see them progress from the group - as could a draw if other results are favourable.

Gaffer John McMahon said: "We dominated Bayern. I'd say we had six really good chances to their two, but we were beaten by a sucker punch near the end.

"The positives are that we're one of the youngest teams here, but looking around I'd say we are one of the best.

"It's also great experience for this young team because they are playing against different types of football teams and different cultures."

The Reserves won their first game of the U19 tournament against Schalke 1-0 thanks to a Daniel Ayala header.

Milan

Liverpool Reserves crashed out of the RUHR.2010 Cup after AC Milan scored three minutes into injury-time to salvage a 1-1 draw.

The leveller proved to be the last kick of the game following a fine solo effort from David Amoo.

Incredibly the result meant Liverpool, Milan, Schalke and Bayern Munich all finished on four points and with a goal difference of zero.

However, Schalke and Milan progress having scored more goals throughout the group stages.

Manager John McMahon said: "Milan needed a draw and that's what they played for. We dominated the game but failed to kill them off. Perhaps there was a bit of naivety.

"There are long-term positives we can take and that's what we're all about. These young lads have learnt that they need to kill games off and that they need to be a bit cleverer in certain stages of the game.

"It's really frustrating but I've spoken to people who felt we were the best team in the tournament."

The squad flies back from Germany on Monday before enjoying an end-of-season meal on Tuesday night.

Anyone know if we have any players at the Toulon tournament or the under 17 championships going on right now?

Conor Coady and Andre Wisdom are with England at the Under 17's. Conor captained England in their 1-0 victory over Greece.

Conor Coady and Andre Wisdom are with England at the Under 17's. Conor captained England in their 1-0 victory over Greece.

I saw the match on Eurosport and to me Wisdom was the best player on the pitch. A couple of Alan Hansen style runs out of defence ( for us old enough to remember ) with the ball.

Coady was the captain and played the holding role in midfield, and did well too.

The ressies drew with Milan in their final group game, but went out of the tournament on the goals scored rule, after all 4 teams ended the group with 4 points and goal difference of 0.

Bayern

A late goal condemned Liverpool Reserves to an undeserved 1-0 defeat against Bayern Munich in the RUHR.2010 Cup in Germany on Friday night.

The inexperienced Reds dominated their illustrious opponents but fell to a solitary goal seven minutes from time.

A win against AC Milan on Saturday would still see them progress from the group - as could a draw if other results are favourable.

Gaffer John McMahon said: "We dominated Bayern. I'd say we had six really good chances to their two, but we were beaten by a sucker punch near the end.

"The positives are that we're one of the youngest teams here, but looking around I'd say we are one of the best.

"It's also great experience for this young team because they are playing against different types of football teams and different cultures."

The Reserves won their first game of the U19 tournament against Schalke 1-0 thanks to a Daniel Ayala header.

Milan

Liverpool Reserves crashed out of the RUHR.2010 Cup after AC Milan scored three minutes into injury-time to salvage a 1-1 draw.

The leveller proved to be the last kick of the game following a fine solo effort from David Amoo.

Incredibly the result meant Liverpool, Milan, Schalke and Bayern Munich all finished on four points and with a goal difference of zero.

However, Schalke and Milan progress having scored more goals throughout the group stages.

Manager John McMahon said: "Milan needed a draw and that's what they played for. We dominated the game but failed to kill them off. Perhaps there was a bit of naivety.

"There are long-term positives we can take and that's what we're all about. These young lads have learnt that they need to kill games off and that they need to be a bit cleverer in certain stages of the game.

"It's really frustrating but I've spoken to people who felt we were the best team in the tournament."

The squad flies back from Germany on Monday before enjoying an end-of-season meal on Tuesday night.

Martin Hansen was the best goalkeeper of the Dortmund tournament according to the link below (In Danish)

Danish link here, describing some of the same as above, that Martin Hansen has holidays from Tuesday and that he will be helping his dad on a goalkeeper football summer school.

Ekstra Bladet - Martin kåret som bedste målmand

Martin Hansen was the best goalkeeper of the Dortmund tournament according to the link below (In Danish)

Danish link here, describing some of the same as above, that Martin Hansen has holidays from Tuesday and that he will be helping his dad on a goalkeeper football summer school.

Ekstra Bladet - Martin kåret som bedste målmand

I can go one better and provide quotes because I spoke to him earlier today:-)

(pats himself on back)

Ung dansk Liverpool-keeper vil lejes ud | TV 2 SPORT

- I'm really happy with that. I've got three years left on my contract, it's going well and I'm very happy to be here. My goal is obviously to move closer to the first team squad, but I may have to go on loan to play more games. I'm imagining a League 1 or 2 club so I'm not too far away in case they need me.

- I don't think there's enough games in the reserve leagus. I've played more games this season than in previous years but I'd like to give myself the best possible chance of being in the U21's next summer.

Denmark host the U21 euros btw.

Guest PurpleNose
Hansen won't make it here.

He's been at fault for a few goals for the reserves this season.

Gulacsi is a lot better.

I think Bouzanis probably is as well.