You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all honesty the negative football with Rafa is hard to take. But what I find worse is just utter inability or refusal to change things.

For instance this season, its been fairly evident that Lucas, whilst not being shite by any means, should not be playing in the middle with Mascher against utter shite teams. But yet he remains there. Additionally theres been shitloads of games where Aquilani(not as many) or Gerrard could have played in the middle and given us the attacking drive that could win us the game.

Thats just a sample of things that anybody with eyes can see are wrong. Over the last 4/5 years of his management theres been so many times theres been things wrong and he just refuses to change. When we were doing well in the CL and doing decent in the league he could get away with the stubborness. Now though he can't.

I'd just like to add I think Maureens a cunt and I don't want him anywhere near us.

Rafa drives me bananas but i'd give him 1 more year.

Lifetime fan answered this quite well for me mate, but I'll chip in as well.

I don't blame Rafa for us not challenging for the title this season. I do blame him for us not coming top four though, and have serious questions about his philosophy, which I explained in more detail here.

As you can see it's not as simple for me as "shit football". I don't mind winning football in fact, but I would always prefer to play and win in style. That hopefully goes without saying for all footie fans. I don't see it as an either/or choice. Many managers have had great success playing decent football.

I agree 100% I think I said the exact same thing in another thread, the title was gone before the season started, in fact I think it was obvious to everyone something was wrong after the Espanyol game in pre season.

Not finishing fourth however is down to the manager & players, no doubt about it.

He's definately a cunt. Don't understand some people's assertion that he'd win us the league so we wouldn't care he's a cunt. Whether people would or not, I couldn't see him winning us the league. Certainly not under the same conditions/constraints our manager has worked with in the last six years, especially the last two.

He has never won a league title in a decent league without having the greatest resources.

What makes people think he will now?

I also dislike the fact he doesn't give a fuck about the long term stability, or growth, of a football club. He doesn't care about youth systems, he'll spend money for the sake of it if he can, and he doesn't create any sense of footballing philosophy. He cares only for the short term, or rather, the time he's at the club. Doubt he'd bat an eyelid if Porto and Chelsea went into administration.

What makes people assume he couldn’t? To be fair, he’s never really been forced to take a job where he hasn’t had the resources. He deserves an opportunity somewhere along the line to prove he can.

It's not the point Zig, the number one issue to attack the manager with is the style of play. It's used time & time again to beat him with and at least this season with some justification.

But it's irrelevant if Mourinho won the league playing shit football very few would complain.

It just bugs me that style of play is used as the primary stick, when in reality it's us not challenging for the title.

It’s not the shit football that has turned me against Benitez. It’s the negativity in his tactics and substitutions (giving up on games too many times)… Dropping players after playing well… not dropping players who are out of form… I don’t believe he is capable of motivating the players enough to give that extra 10-15% needed for a title push. Consequently I don’t ever truly believe any Liverpool Team he puts on the pitch is ever going to be 100% capable of what it should be achieving. I never feel there is a ‘win at all costs’ mentality.

I think Mourinho could achieve more with the players we’ve got at our disposal.

Its true, i think you would need an ego the size of the moon to be a football manager these days.

is right.

It ceoms back to what we were syaing in another thread earlier this week, the only brand of footie that really counts is winning.

All managers have favourites, all managers discguard players, all managers over use players they think are great, all managers are in it for themselves, the idea Shanks or Fergie grew up dreaming of doing it for us or UNited is ridiculous, they would have put their passion fully into whichever team they managed, as all do.

But if you lose, it'll look alot worse than if you win, so maybe footie hasnt changed that much in teh past 40 years or so.

Guest PurpleNose
What makes people assume he couldn’t? To be fair, he’s never really been forced to take a job where he hasn’t had the resources. He deserves an opportunity somewhere along the line to prove he can.

I would imagine he's had plenty. Surely loads of clubs are, and have been, after him. I'd be interested to see if he could win the title with Sevilla, or Fiorentina etc. But I don't want the experiment to be with our club.

Once again, "the Special One" proved that it was the Mourinho Show. Did he care which side he'd just managed to get to the CL final? Did he fuck. He thinks he's the fucking 'big I am' and makes me angry. Any class, humility, dignity at the end? Any shred of respect shown to the club that got him into football? Or respect towards Guardiola, one of the more decent managers out there? No, of course not.

Before anybody says "yeah, but you'd have him here and wouldn't complain when he acted the same way" yes I would. He's got fuck all loyalty and would drop us like a stone in a heartbeat if he thought a better offer was on the table. If we hold players to account for flirting with other clubs, or chasing moves away, then we should also do the same to managers.

I agree to a point, but in fairness, many do hold hteir managers accoutnable, much of the angst against Rafa, seems to me, to be due to the perception that he's in it for himself. Wether or not you agree with this is another thing, what i find surprising is that many of those who criticise Rafa for this, woul have jose in a heartbeat and yet he is even more in it for himself.

He'd not even won teh 2nd title with Chelsea when he was moaning about no money and flirting with other clubs, or at least saying he might move on. He's now doing it at Inter and has been for most of this season.

You can moan about Raf and hold him to account, but you cant then, seriously, suggestr Jose as a replacement, when he is worse.

If anyone was offended, upset, annoyed or wound up by that gesture then they're an idiot.

Well I am pretty sure there were quite a few on here who were in uproar when he ssshhh'd our support.

I have tried to look for the match thread but can't find it.

And to call them idiots when the same response was given to Gary Neville at OT is a bit hypocritical and certainly cheeky in my opinion.

Mourinho on last night.

"We didn't want the ball because when Barcelona press and win the ball back, we lose our position – I never want to lose position on the pitch so I didn't want us to have the ball, we gave it away''

Seriously, imagine Rafa said that? People would be going crazy on here.

Not dissimilar to Houllier's ''You have the ball, we'll have the result''

Mourinho on last night.

"We didn't want the ball because when Barcelona press and win the ball back, we lose our position – I never want to lose position on the pitch so I didn't want us to have the ball, we gave it away''

Seriously, imagine Rafa said that? People would be going crazy on here.

Not dissimilar to Houllier's ''You have the ball, we'll have the result''

To be honest, I'd still probably be in cuckoo land looking forward to another big ears cup final to even care.

Guest Pistonbroke
We must be getting fucking desperate if we're deluding ourselves that Mourinho coming here would be a good thing.

The man's won a few trophies but with no fucking class on or off the pitch.

I reckon there's some reds fans so desperate to win the league that whole idea of entertaining football goes right out the window.

Of the two managers of last nights match I'd take Guardiola a million times over.

At least you know what you are getting with him and that is passion. maybe he's a bit of a cunt but he shows his character in the open. I doubt very much that Benitez is the angel some make him out to be.

At least you know what you are getting with him and that is passion. maybe he's a bit of a cunt but he shows his character in the open. I doubt very much that Benitez is the angel some make him out to be.

But... I don't like his character, I don't like his football 'philosophy' and I don't like the snidey cheating cuntishness of the type of player he favours.

It's not his style we should be aiming for but Barcelona's who I believe won a few trophies last season too.

We'll probably never get near to that but it would be a hell of a lot more enjoyable ride to go on.

I think one of the differences between Mourinho and Rafa, is that Mourinho wouldn't have allowed the team to wallow away in self pithy for nearly an entire season, especially after going so close last year. I think, funds or not, he'd of galvanised the side and had them all pulling in one direction together the following year.

The style of play isn't all that different though, I'd say Mourinho is a bit more trusting of special, luxury players....but both systems require huge work rate from every individual. A lot of the time the football his teams play is shit, but when you watch his sides play, they play to win(or to get the result), all the time. You can't really say the same about Rafa's Liverpool for the past six years.

That said, he;s a complete cunt of a man and i wouldn't want him managing Liverpool.

Guest Pistonbroke
But... I don't like his character, I don't like his football 'philosophy' and I don't like the snidey cheating cuntishness of the type of player he favours.

It's not his style we should be aiming for but Barcelona's who I believe won a few trophies last season too.

We'll probably never get near to that but it would be a hell of a lot more enjoyable ride to go on.

Most successful managers have a cuntish streak about them. Plus the type of player he favours ? Would that be good players ? Because we have enough cuntish players ourselves and always have had. Barcelona haven't always played this way you know, i remember plenty of their teams diving around like a bunch of cheating twats.