You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

lifetime fan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know all about his racist comments and him shagging the wives of his players but it was Sir Bobby Robson questioning his commitment that made me think.

For someone like Sir Bobby to actually put in print that he questionned his commitment then I would have thought there was something serious going on behind the scenes.

I know all about his racist comments and him shagging the wives of his players but it was Sir Bobby Robson questioning his commitment that made me think.

For someone like Sir Bobby to actually put in print that he questionned his commitment then I would have thought there was something serious going on behind the scenes.

Well, I know what you mean, but Bobby could be as ruthless and as tetchy as, well, Rafa back in the days before he was made a saint. I think he ended Paul Walsh's England career when he pulled out of one squad. I might be misremembering that, but he went through a fairly OTT phase with the national team. His view of Wright reminded me a bit of Ginsoak's attitude towards Hansen for Scotland - one had a back injury, the other had a knee problem and I don't think either was ever 'faked,' but that didn't stop them from being sneered at.

It was a number of the senior players that wanted to play a different formation iirc and it just happened that he played the new role of sweeper.

It was also always denied by Robson.

He would deny it wouldn't he? If the manager changes his tactics due to player pressure it undermines him.

Too many of that squad have relayed the truth for Robson's version to stand up to scrutiny.

He would deny it wouldn't he? If the manager changes his tactics due to player pressure it undermines him.

Too many of that squad have relayed the truth for Robson's version to stand up to scrutiny.

I don't for one second believe Robson's version of events, but to say "He was responsible for changing the England tactics that almost won the World Cup in 1990." is not accurate is it?

So did Roy Evans.

He accused him of having an attitude problem, on the same day as he accused Julian Dicks of being a fat cunt. One knuckled down and got back into the team and the other one fucked off to West Ham.

So did Roy Evans.

He accused him of having an attitude problem, on the same day as he accused Julian Dicks of being a fat cunt. One knuckled down and got back into the team and the other one fucked off to West Ham.

yeah, that was the day after we lost 4-0 in a pre-season away at bolton where we stank.

The next day, I was working in a shop then while a student Ruddock and Dicks came in to buy some lunch and looked as miserable as hell. I got their autographs (sad bastard I was) and asked Ruddock why they looked miserable to which he said that Evans had told Dicks he would never play for us again!

Not sure about his character. I haven't kept up on any racist stuff or whatever. But I do remember the player.

If he were a younger centre back right now, like he was when at Derby County, then I would be urging Rafa to sign him up. He could be the dominant central defender we need for the next decade. He was very good in the air and I thought he used the ball OK and while not lighning quick like Lawrensen in the previous generation, I didn't think he was slow either.

Very good player.

I thought he was a decent player and that clip of him going 'ya fucking beauty' as he's lifting the FA Cup still cracks me up, but given everything that's happened to him as a manager, I suspect he's not the type of person you'd like to share a pint with.

I'd never share a pint with him. I'd rather buy him his own.

Didn't he break his leg playing against us in the 1986 Cup Semi?

As others said, shite at the start of his career with us and then improved, but too late in his career really. I'll always remember the look on his face when we fucked it up at Chelsea in the FA Cup in 97 - I knew (and I think he knew) his game was up that day.