You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Made up for Murray. Wanted to post during the match but didn't want to jinx it.

First set was crucial and when he went 2-0 up thought that was it surely, but Djokovic is a supreme competitor and was never going to go down in straight sets.

Yeah, seen the 4th going to Novak but typical Murray to stretch it out that long. I've said before, watching him is bad for the nerves!

Always though that US or Australian was more likely to be his first. If anything thing now, the expectation for Wimbledon has gone up a notch or two now he has a Slam under his belt?

Anyway well done again.

Oh, and folks is right, Sports "Personality" of the year will be a nightmare this year!

Oh, and folks is right, Sports "Personality" of the year will be a nightmare this year!

Its a stupid title for the award although it has to be said that there are some proper 'personalities' in contention for it this time round. Wouldnt like to be drawing up that shortlist....now there's an idea for a game

That was brutal to watch ' date=' i never enjoy watching him , its just to hard but thank fuck for that im well pleased for him that hes finally done it , always believed he would as hes simply to good not to regardless of playing in this ridiculous era , more slams will definatly follow now.

Lendl was an inspired move , the final piece of the jigsaw.

Heard Rusedski saying the last time someone blew a 2-0 lead in a slam final was in 1949 ! it doesn't even bear thinking about.[/quote']

That was in a US Open final mate, it's happened elsewhere, not least whem Lendl won his first slam (French) against McEnroe.

He's finally cleared that mental hurdle. Ability-wise it was apparent that he had the tools to win it, but players like Federer, Nadal and Djokovic always had a mental edge too. It looks like having Ivan Lendl in his corner has worked a treat in that respect. OK Nadal wasn't there this time round, but now, not only does Murray know he can win it when if gets everything together, he also knows he can step it up and handle the pressure rather than buckle as in years gone by.

Can't think of a harder year to pick a SPOTY. To think Rusedski won it for being a runner up in the US Open, and Owen winning it for scoring that goal against Argentina...

I would go for Murray though. Wimbledon final, Olympic gold and now US Open champion. UK's first Grand Slam winner in 70 years. And he beat the best player in the world to win it. Has to be Murray but will be a tight vote.

It is quite funny, all the sporting achievements and we are all discussing the implications for the Sports personality of the year! As though Wiggins, Mo, Jess and Murray are all there thinking 'this might just tip it in my favour'!

We could very easily have the best cyclist in the world, the number one golfer and the number one tennis player and Hamilton could very well win the formula one!

That Sean Connery is a weird looking fucker....like a skull with a hat and beard

"I always felt he had everything and now it's really come to fruition. I met him for the first time a couple of days ago. It's great for Scotland. We've had a really great landslide victory. And stop saying he's British, he's Scottish. I have to go now because the champion is waiting."

The Scottish Nationalist from Marbella hasn't even bothered to contact and meet the greatest British tennis player until he reaches his fifth final.

Get to fuck you baldy cunt and I would love to see you give Serena Williams a little slap.

Although in moments like this, he is Scottish, from Scotland.

Mo winning his first gold was the best overall moment in sport this year, for me. Still reckon it'll be Wiggins, though.

I'd personally love to give it to Jessica Ennis.

But what about Sports personality of the year?

I think Wiggins was the toughest achievement but cycling won't have the appeal of Athletics and Tennis. I think Farah or Ennis will get it.

"I always felt he had everything and now it's really come to fruition. I met him for the first time a couple of days ago. It's great for Scotland. We've had a really great landslide victory. And stop saying he's British, he's Scottish. I have to go now because the champion is waiting."

The Scottish Nationalist from Marbella hasn't even bothered to contact and meet the greatest British tennis player until he reaches his fifth final.

Get to fuck you baldy cunt and I would love to see you give Serena Williams a little slap.

Although in moments like this, he is Scottish, from Scotland.

Oh dont get me started on these more Scottish than the people who live there celebrity expats....pontificating about Scottish independence and they dont even live there

Not so sure about that. The list nominees is put together and the public vote on who's on that list. EVERYONE in Scotland will be voting for Murray without a doubt so I'd say:

Murray

Farah

Wiggins / Weir

No place for Jessica Ennis or Ellie Simmonds?