You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Captain

I'd give it to Carragher. Long term perfect progression. A player that people underestimated, to an essential part of the defense, to a leader on the field, to captain of the club, to player coach, to manager. He has it in him. Gerrard can check in his ego for his pal and for the good of the team.

Carragher isn't a long term solution. | few years ago he only had a few years left.

fixed that for you

does carra automatically retain his spot when agger and johnson fit?

what about agger and kerry argos when playing teama that are strong in the air?

by the way did anyone see carra bollock degen out of after thirty seconds for not getting the ball for carra for the thorw in so that he could then run into position for carra to throw it to him only for carra to then throw it away - love that kind of leadership - only local lads can provide that kind of passion

Carragher isn't a long term solution. He only has a few years left.

It's like Hyypia all over again.

*After a poor game* "He's past it".... *fast forward a month after a good game* "He's still got it". *Fast forward a year* "He's past it".... and so on.

After everything that Gerrard has given us as Captain, I'd say that this would be a mistake. He's probably the best Captain we've had. If not, he's up there.

Carra doesn't need an armband or a title to do what he does.

Completely disagree he is one of if not THE greatest player we've ever had.

But he's nowhere near the best Captain we've ever had

Not the club nor Rafa are in a position to make a change like that - unfortunate as that may be. The media onslaught would be like never before and it would only serve to unsettle all parties involved; and I hardly think taking the armband off him would get him to improve his form, if anything I reckon he would regress.

He does need to improve, though. Big time. It's a shocking feat on its own that we've actually managed to look better without him on the pitch and if things don't change...well, who's to say?

Why humiliate our best player like that? Obviously Carra is the best leader at the club, but Gerrard is our most important player in my view and it'd be madness to fuck with his (easily fuckable with) head like that.

Edited by Paul

It would be mad to take the armband off Gerrard. It has been a topic for years about how Carra should be Captain instead of Gerrard but I'm willing to bet that if Rafa told Carra he was taking it off Stevie to give it to him, that Carra would refuse it. If Carra was in the stands he'd be roaring and shouting as much so captain or not, it would make no difference. He is the Captain of the back line anyway and he is happy with that.

Sadly, I also don't think Gerrard would be mentaly strong enough to deal with losing the captaincy. I think he'd retreat into his shell and may even leave as he'd see it as some massive inslut. Someone said that Gerrard could be our best ever captain, but that couldn't be more wrong. He is probably our most talented captain, and he may be one of the best off the pitch captains as I believe his dealings with new players and around the club is phenominal, but on the pitch he isn't much of a captain in my opinion. Give me Thommo or Souey any day of the week.

If Gerrard left tomorrow though, then it would be Carra for captain. They after that it would be Mascherano. I understand some people calling for Pepe, but I just don't think a goalkeeping captain works as he can't exert an influence on the pitch in the middle or up front. A captain needs to be in the outfield if you ask me.

Carragher was immense against Spurs but in all fairness the whole team against both Stoke and Tottenham fought for every ball.

Stoke tried to bully us like they do every team that plays there but we gave it back just as much as we took it.

Carragher desire and intensity was inspiring midweek and the run he did near the corner flag when he just barged past the Spurs player to win a corner in front of the kop just helped what was already a great atmosphere.

I think as well as Carra special mention should also go to Kerry Argos who has bullied both Stoke and Spurs strikers and let us see the difference having a commanding defender who will win most headers can make.

Carra is a natural leader and doesnt need the armband to do that! How many times during the last few matches when degen has been playing to you here Carra call him constantly tellin him to get into position.

Carra is a good organiser but shouting and bawling doesn't always mean a great leader. I can't remember Souness ever going mad at anyone. He had an authoritive aura about him and wasn't to be messed with. When he's on his game Stevie has that presence, though maybe he can care too much at times and lets it affect him.