You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Would you have a British Manager to manage Liverpool?

WhiskeyJar

Would you support a British manager to manage Liverpool  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support a British manager to manage Liverpool

• Yes.
    • No. (Stick to Foreign Managers)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think that if you need a caretaker he would be the obvious choice.

However, please do not forget that he was the man that destroyed the "Liverpool Way". (The part of your post I highlighted).

I may not be a Liverpool supporter, but I have always had great respect for Liverpool and the boot room dynasty founded by Shankly, which continued under Paisley etc.

UNTIL Dalglish!

So (unless he has learned the errors of his ways) I would not see him as a "long term" bet.

Just my take on things.

I am not convinced you are a Sunderland fan, sorry and I am not asking you to justify yourself.

Kenny has absolutely no blame whatsoever in this, you seem desperate to blame Kenny as though you really don't like him!

You would think he is your greatest rivals ultimate player and genuine legend the way you carry on.

I am not convinced you are a Sunderland fan, sorry and I am not asking you to justify yourself.

Kenny has absolutely no blame whatsoever in this, you seem desperate to blame Kenny as though you really don't like him!

You would think he is your greatest rivals ultimate player and genuine legend the way you carry on.

Believe me, for my sins, I am!

Attended my first game at Roker in 1963 (League Cup semi final against Aston Villa) - we lost 3-1!

Sheesh!!

I just look at my (second) club and don't like what I see.

Everything I respected seems to have disappeared and you are reduced to the levels of otherts, trying to buy success.

That, for me, is the responsibilility of KD.

Sorry, marra, that is just the way I see it.

Attended my first game at Roker in 1963 (League Cup semi final against Aston Villa) - we lost 3-1!

Sheesh!!

Everything I respected seems to have disappeared and you are reduced to the levels of otherts, trying to buy success.

I am starting to wonder if King Kenny has any mortal enemies, and if so could they bee Fecker?

Surely there could be at least a third option for this poll. Typical modern-fan mentality of things being either black or white. If you don't know what the third option could be, you're beyond help.

Oh really? In this situation it is black and white. You either want a British Manager in charge of your club or not which makes them foreign.

If you need help in answering this question then you are beyond help.

Surely there could be at least a third option for this poll. Typical modern-fan mentality of things being either black or white. If you don't know what the third option could be, you're beyond help.

Perfectly put marra!

If everyone knew the answer everyone would be a millionaire and everyone's team would win the Premier.

Eh!!

Oh really? In this situation it is black and white. You either want a British Manager in charge of your club or not which makes them foreign.

If you need help in answering this question then you are beyond help.

I need no help in answering the question, but the option wasn't supplied.

What kind of arrogance is that, to say, "You either want a British Manager in charge of your club or not which makes them foreign".

What if it doesn't matter to me, or anyone else?

The poll deliberately excludes the fair-minded amongst us. What kind of football fan would want only a foreign manager? What kind of fan would want British only? Both are wrong, and xenophobic. Or something like that!

Do you concede that you should have supplied an option to click whether or not it matters, if the manager is British?

Sheesh!!

You do realise that it was Souness who actually knocked down the Boot Room don't you? (at least, I am sure he did, might have been Evans)

someone with some english premier league experience is all that counts not there birth certificate.all we need is some who recognizes that positive tactics/high tempo is the way to win this title.surely we can find someone who can fit the bill?

forgot to mention player types.is it really that dificult to buy players who have

A) good technique (good first touch/comfortable in possession)

B) decent pace (over lap/support attack/go past a man or recover a defensive situation)

C) good attitude (a team player/never gives up/consistent performer

Where's the "I couldn't give a shiny shite where he's from as long as we win the league" option?

Also, I don't agree that the current British managers are not good enough. Without a chance we'll never know. Rafa had hardly hit the heights before he took over at Balenthia, had he? And Wenger wasn't exactly ripping it up with Grampus 8, was he? Guardiola ditto with Barca's ressies.

The right man could be new to the job or have had an unspectacular education in management elsewhere. Obviously that would be a huge punt when the stakes are so high, but Steve Bruce, Harry Redknapp, Martin O'Neill or David Moyes could easily do the business at a CL club, in my opinion. I'm not saying I want those manager mind; just that I think they could do well in those circumstances.

someone with some english premier league experience is all that counts not there birth certificate.all we need is some who recognizes that positive tactics/high tempo is the way to win this title.surely we can find someone who can fit the bill?

Last season's run in and the signings of Johnson and Aquilani suggest we've already got someone who knows that.

Its always fun to say "what if..." but the reality is we have one of football's finest managers and probably the only one from that small group of "super-managers" who would persist through every kind of difficulty including unstable and changing ownership and erratic funding.

If there's ever one good enough then yes, but there simply aren't at the moment. If you forced me to pick a British manager I'd have to go for Hodgson as being the best one out there, O'Neill's stuttering a bit at Villa despite the fact they've had a fair bit of money and none of the others really come close. There might be a few in the lower leagues who could take a big job in future, maybe Paul Lambert will make it, but I'm not sure they will get the opportunities unless they something extraordinary at a middle of the road type club in the Premiership.

I'll tell you another thing as well, watching Kenny's greatest team was as good as watching one of Bill or Bob's. I don't think I've ever seen another side play football as good; maybe Arsenal at their absolute peak under Wenger, maybe Cruyff's Barcelona, but I'm not convinced by either.

The massive pity of it is that he was not able to unleash them on Europe. We'd be talking about number seven now not number five, in my opinion.

Where's the "I couldn't give a shiny shite where he's from as long as we win the league" option?

Also, I don't agree that the current British managers are not good enough. Without a chance we'll never know. Rafa had hardly hit the heights before he took over at Balenthia, had he? And Wenger wasn't exactly ripping it up with Grampus 8, was he? Guardiola ditto with Barca's ressies.

The right man could be new to the job or have had an unspectacular education in management elsewhere. Obviously that would be a huge punt when the stakes are so high, but Steve Bruce, Harry Redknapp, Martin O'Neill or David Moyes could easily do the business at a CL club, in my opinion. I'm not saying I want those manager mind; just that I think they could do well in those circumstances.

I think that's maybe a little harsh on both Rafa & Wenger:

Rafa took Tenerife up from the Spanish 2nd division in '00-01

The previous season had bizarrely (& somewhat murkily- there was some nonsense in Seville involving themselves & Betis) seen Sevilla,Betis & Atletico Madrid go down.

They are 3 sides with massive support & budget & were odds on to go straight back up (all have subsequently appeared in the CL)

To take a small team like Tenerife up in the face of that was a massive deal.

Wenger had won the French League, got to the EC semi i think, been approached for the Bayern Munich job & refused contract permission to leave & then won the Emperor's Cup in Japan.

Moyes & Bruce have done very well on a limited budget & signing a certain type of player but haven't shown the tactical flexibility or had any success in Europe.

(I do think Moyes is easily the best of the 4 but he has to do something in the Uefa this year as replicating his PL performance is getting harder & harder)

'Arry has never once managed to surpass his club's expected finish & left 3 institutions bankrupt!