You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

All new transfer speculation 09

Megadrive Man

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was Parry not on some sort of contract whereby he had to be given a 2 year notice or something crazy like that? Meaning there would have been a big pay off to get rid of him at quick notice.

I dont buy that , the Yanks are cunts yes but they aint stupid and I just cant see them having that sort of arrangement, but hey thats just my opinion.

Same shit differnt day

Time to focus on the Enemy not Rafa (who has made mistakes)

Dont be petty and let the Rafa haters cloud the issue.

When Rafa gets one close season without the rug been pulled from underneath him then you can judge him.

FTR he fucked up last pre season but that is now history and it is time to look forward not backwards

Andrey Voronin: „Ja, ich habe mit Hertha gesprochen“ - Sport - Hertha BSC - Fußball-Bundesliga - Bild.de

Voronin: "Yes, I have spoken with Preetz. And I have always said that I would have played in Berlin."

Michael Preetz (Hertha Berlin Manager): "I have spoken with Andrey. We remain in contact.....we would like to have him when it is financially feasible".

Hertha Berlin would rather take Voronin back on loan as they cannot afford the 4m euro fee at present.

Rafael Benitez frustrated by Liverpool cash constraints | Liverpool - Times Online

Tony Barrett

Rafael Benitez is usually bullish at the start of a new season, but the Liverpool manager was in a downbeat mood yesterday. At the start of a campaign in which Liverpool have been widely tipped to unseat Manchester United as champions, the Spaniard appeared preoccupied by the continuing financial problems at Anfield.

Liverpool’s record £30.2 million annual profit has not produced the kind of budget to allow Benitez to fill the remaining gaps in his squad. However, when asked whether he was happy with the level of financial backing afforded to him by the club’s owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett, the manager would not take the bait, choosing to mask any unhappiness in a cloak of collectivity.

“I don’t know too many managers happy with the money that they have to spend,” Benitez said. “There are two or three clubs that have big, big money, but the rest of the managers I am sure will ask for more money. It is not impacting on my commitment.

“We are trying to progress. How do we progress? We have brought in players, and people might say ‘ah yes, but you’ve lost this player and this player’. But we’ll only really know when we start playing. If these new players are really good on the pitch then people will say we are going in the right direction. We were doing a lot of contract extensions because we wanted to keep the squad together.”

It is the last line that is the most telling because while Benitez was handed a budget in the region of £15 million plus whatever he recouped from sales to spend this summer, there was also an understanding that the cost of any significant contract extensions would also come from this pot. Benitez duly awarded new deals and accompanying pay rises to Fernando Torres, Steven Gerrard, Dirk Kuyt, Yossi Benayoun and Daniel Agger, reducing his spending power in the transfer market.

Still, the dawn of a new season is a time for positivity and Benitez remains determined to put a brave face on things, arguing that the recruitment of Alberto Aquilani and Glen Johnson plus the return of Andriy Voronin from a loan spell at Hertha Berlin gives him the options he is looking for. “If you analyse the players we have already signed, they are players with quality,” said Benítez. “With Johnson we needed a little bit more quality at right back.

“Yes, we have lost something with Xabi Alonso but we couldn’t stop him from going. We have tried to manage that loss and have brought someone in, Aquilani, who we feel can help us win the games that we were drawing at home last season.

“Something has changed in football in the last year as there are other clubs spending big money. It’s difficult for us to control from our point of view, we have to work with our players and with the budget we had.”

Tony B's moved to The Times? I completely missed that one. Fair play to him - it's well deserved. Who's got his Echo job then?

Wages & fees are interchangeable in any budget.

In modern football, the wages are vastly more important as they are much larger (we have spent roughly £85m on fees, but over £400m on wages with committments for another £200-300m in Rafa's time here)

(This is why up until the start of this close season we had spent less than Arse & equally why we have still spent more than a Sunderland in the last couple of years even as they have been paying out a lot in fees)

The tax/FX changes & new entrants into the market with limitless funds in RM & City dramatically pushed up wages this summer.

Keeping Torres & Gerrard was the 1st priority which cost us well over £10m in new commitments.

(If we hadn't have given them new contracts then they would have left)

On top of that we had to sign a manager to a long term contract: even if we had replaced Rafa another candidate he would have been on similar money (Ramos got £5m/year at Spurs): that cost was in excess of £20m.

New contracts for Kuyt & Agger were needed which again is well over £20m.

We have been pretty big spenders this summer.

When Rafa signed we didnot know that the UK would stupidly change its tax rate, nor that RM & City would spend without limit.

It makes perfetc sense to switch spending away from fees & into new deals.

It is exactly what the Mancs & Arse have also done.

It is possible that we overtake Arse this close season,although we remain in 4th due to City.

It is worth noting that this shows how we could not possibly have kept Xabi & it was always entirely a monetary issue: Matching Real's deal for him would have meant an outlay of over £35m: it would also have triggered rises for Carra,etc (you can sell them a contract less than the superstars but not one 50% of Xabi).

So the total cost of keeping Xabi would have been well over £50m, which he isn't worth.

Instead we replaced him for a cost of about £10m (the profit on the deal minus thge wages we have given to Aqua)

Was Parry not on some sort of contract whereby he had to be given a 2 year notice or something crazy like that? Meaning there would have been a big pay off to get rid of him at quick notice.
Thats correct Cain. That was one of the stipulations written into the takeover process along with Moores Life Presidency role.

The Parry deal was no big issue for the Yanks as long as they got the club. Do the maths, the pay off to Parry was chicken feed compared to the profits they'd make in the long run.

Same shit differnt day

Time to focus on the Enemy not Rafa (who has made mistakes)

Dont be petty and let the Rafa haters cloud the issue.

When Rafa gets one close season without the rug been pulled from underneath him then you can judge him.

FTR he fucked up last pre season but that is now history and it is time to look forward not backwards

Don't see that ever happening with the current owners Nick. In fact the way things are going we'll end up selling the rug to make a few quid.

It's inconceivable that such a clause would have been for an indeterminate length, though.
It may seem so Dave but if you were the Yanks, would you let a two year rolling contract with Parry stop you from getting your hands on the club ? As I said do the maths.

Lets say for arguments sake Parry was paid £2m when his contract was terminated. £1m for each year of the rolling contract.

Now compare that to the reported amounts of money being syphoned out the club. Don't forget these are the people who claim to have spent £100m on the new stadium.

Again, would you let the small matter of Parry's two year contract walk away from the table with the potential riches of our club so close ?

Its not that come on. If tb is right RB knew it was coming from the budget.

How much did kenny cost to come back?. He must have known the restrictions on the transfer money to sack 16 people. Maybe he feels we will see the benefit in 3 years time.

Stuck his neck on the line for sure, Give him that.

Hang on a minute. Where does it say the cost of contracts for non-playing staff comes out of the team budget? I think you are getting a bit confused there.

I dont know much about him myself, but what about this Kightly at Wolves?

Could he do a job for us?

8 goals and 23 assists in the Championship is not bad from a midfielder.

Not a bad shout and I would advocate filling the bench with some of the better players from the championship as opposed to shit ones from France.

Dont forget we have sold players like Arbeloa and Alonso so not only obviously have we the transfer cash from them but also their wages are no longer on on the bill (depending on how the contracts were paid up).

Would explain why Alonso needed to hand in a trasnfer request.

Dont forget we have sold players like Arbeloa and Alonso so not only obviously have we the transfer cash from them but also their wages are no longer on on the bill (depending on how the contracts were paid up).

Indeed & we created some room with Pennant & Sami coming off the books.

Inter’s Amantino Mancini Could Return To Roma On Loan – Report - Goal.com

Inter winger Amantino Mancini could return to former club Roma on a season-long loan, according to the Corriere dello Sport.

The Brazilian had five successful seasons with the Giallorossi from 2003-2008, scoring 40 goals in 154 appearances and winning two Coppa Italias.

Mancini then switched to Inter last summer for €13 million, but was a big money flop in his first season, making just ten Serie A starts and scoring no league goals.

Inter coach Jose Mourinho is trying to trim his squad ahead of the new campaign and Mancini is one of the players he wants to offload.

A few days ago Mancini passed through Rome, and while he was in the city he caught up with his old Roma boss Luciano Spalletti. The pair are said to have discussed the possibility of Mancini returning on loan.

The chances of this deal going through are debatable at the moment as the last few months of Mancini's time at Roma were filled with bad blood between player and club. The Giallorossi are also unable to match Mancini's current wages, meaning he will have to take a pay-cut in order to join

I mentioned him on another thread not long a go.

Bit of a loon but on loan whats the damage?

Wages & fees are interchangeable in any budget.

Blah blah blah

Keeping Torres & Gerrard was the 1st priority which cost us well over £10m in new commitments.

(If we hadn't have given them new contracts then they would have left)

Blah blah blah

In amongst sensible stuff, you do this. Why?