You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

All new transfer speculation 09

Megadrive Man

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are not going to go to work for substianally less than they could get elsewhere anymore than you or i would.

Torres and Gerrard could pick up the phone to Mark Hughes and double their salaries tomorrow.

Why do you think we gave them new deals?

Out of the goodness of our heart.

But you are saying if we had not given Gerrard a small increase on his already ginormous salary NOW, he would have walked. I can't buy into that. Same with Torres.

Torres and Gerrard could pick up the phone to Mark Hughes and double their salaries tomorrow.

But you are saying if we had not given Gerrard a small increase on his already ginormous salary NOW, he would have walked. I can't buy into that. Same with Torres.

Money is important, always, if for nothing else except as recognition of good work done or importance of a person. Egos are egos...

Then there's the small print in the contracts that we do not know. As a result of signing a new contract it may be just that much more difficult for a player to leave, or if they were to leave anyway, the club might be in a more advantageous position.

The length of the deal didn't change.

We gave them a raise as their old salaries were no longer competitive.

We didn't give them a chance for it to get nasty but i have no doubt they would have let their agent leak the possibility of moving on if we had tried to play hard-ball.

The length of the deal didn't change.

We gave them a raise as their old salaries were no longer competitive.

We didn't give them a chance for it to get nasty but i have no doubt they would have let their agent leak the possibility of moving on if we had tried to play hard-ball.

I don't disagree with the general point, it's the fact you state unequivocally they would have left which clearly as no basis in fact.

Money is important, always, if for nothing else except as recognition of good work done or importance of a person. Egos are egos...

Then there's the small print in the contracts that we do not know. As a result of signing a new contract it may be just that much more difficult for a player to leave, or if they were to leave anyway, the club might be in a more advantageous position.

Agree, it's a murky subject that's for sure, but I'm not buying that Torres and Gerrard were on the brink of walking out on us unless they got more money.

Surely any self respecting business plan will budget for rises and especially factor in rises for players who already have multi-million pound salaries.

Also, you would assume that when Rafa was handed the budget he has at least one person who understands finance and can advise him of the impact of any rises.

If we can't sign new players because we have given the incumbents rises that's a joke in my opinion.

All players now of any worth can't be allowed to enter the last 3 years of his contract and that will be the reason Torres was offered a new deal

If he hadn't then he could buy out his contract next summer and move back to Spain

Something will have to change soon as wages are growing faster than revenue a bit like how house prices did a few years ago before the bubble burst

All players now of any worth can't be allowed to enter the last 3 years of his contract and that will be the reason Torres was offered a new deal

If he hadn't then he could buy out his contract next summer and move back to Spain

Something will have to change soon as wages are growing faster than revenue a bit like how house prices did a few years ago before the bubble burst

I totally agree, especially our most valuable players.

However, this rises should be expected and planned for. Everyone knows the market and the salaries players are paid. They should therefore be factored into the operating plan.

The only soultion is a salary cap.

That would have to be world-wide. How do you work it out in practice? I agree with the principle but cannot see how it can be sorted out between different leagues.

You're right - Spain, Germany, Italy, France at the very least would all have to agree and ideally all UEFA countries. Would America as well, possibly in the future but I can't imagine players moving out there for money at the peak of their careers yet?

It'll probably never happen or if it did only with the introdution of a European Super League.

I think it will more likley be linked to a % of clubs turnover which is what Uefa wanted to bring in

That would certainly protect clubs from exposing themselves to unnecessary risks.

For me though a salary cap should be brought in to end the big four and the financial might of those clubs. A link to turnover will still see the top sides dominating. I suppose it would stop the Man City and Chelsea effect though, at least to start with.

the thing is if there were a salary cap and it was in force for a few years what do you think would happen to the money saved ?

Do you think Tom and George would reduce ticket prices ?

Or rub there hands together as they take out even more money from our game

That's a vision of utopia. Ideally it would go into local communities and regeneration.

It'll never happen as the people who make the decisions are also those who control the profits.

However, ticket prices have to come down at some point - imagine if the trends continue...

I think it's time to just accept that we won't be bringing any more attacking players in because the money just isn't there. I don't blame Rafa at all for it because he's operating with his hand tied behind his back in that regard.

He had to buy a right back because Arbeloa left and he also had to replace Alonso. If they hadn't left then maybe we would have seen someone brought in for the wide positions, although that's doubtful because he obviously wouldn't have had the money.

It's a shocking situation that in one the biggest summers of the clubs history, we don't have any money to make the small alterations that could make such a massive difference.

We have to concentrate all of our thoughts and energy on getting these two cunts who own the club, out of the club, preferrably as soon as possible.

I think it's time to just accept that we won't be bringing any more attacking players in because the money just isn't there. I don't blame Rafa at all for it because he's operating with his hand tied behind his back in that regard.

He had to buy a right back because Arbeloa left and he also had to replace Alonso. If they hadn't left then maybe we would have seen someone brought in for the wide positions, although that's doubtful because he obviously wouldn't have had the money.

It's a shocking situation that in one the biggest summers of the clubs history, we don't have any money to make the small alterations that could make such a massive difference.

We have to concentrate all of our thoughts and energy on getting these two cunts who own the club, out of the club, preferrably as soon as possible.

Exactly Mr Brown. We all claim to love the club, well it is about time we started showing it. To those that think we cannot make a difference, we can.

True. Look on the bright side though.

For me this transfer window says a lot of positive things about Benitez's mentality going into this year.

We lost a holding midfielder who we replaced with an attacking midfielder.

We lose a solid full back and replaced him with about the most attacking one we could lay our hands on.

It looks like we didn't have enough money for our first choice attacker (Silva IMO) and instead of perpetuating the revolving door policy, he used the money to shore up the long term prospects by extending contracts instead.

I think he's made the best of out of a pretty shitty situation.

For me this transfer window says a lot of positive things about Benitez's mentality going into this year.

We lose a solid full back and replaced him with about the most attacking one we could lay our hands on.

It looks like we didn't have enough money for our first choice attacker (Silva IMO) and instead of perpetuating the revolving door policy, he used the money to shore up the long term prospects by extending contracts instead.

I still think we will make one more signing before the end of the window

I agree, it is a joke that we have to scrape the barrel and hunt around for bargains, I am all for a demonstration similar to the one that was held for Rafa before Porto game to show our disgust at the lack of investment this summer. It will be the same every transfer window from now I imagine with them having to reduce debt, no investment in the first team, we will soon be chasing forth again.

I dont know much about him myself, but what about this Kightly at Wolves?

Could he do a job for us?

8 goals and 23 assists in the Championship is not bad from a midfielder.

Suggested this lad ( & Collison ) late last year , and immediately jinxed them both to fairly serious injuries.

According to a couple of Wolves supporting mates he is an excellent prospect and plays either wing.

If we are simply looking for the left , Collison might be useful.

Suggested this lad ( & Collison ) late last year , and immediately jinxed them both to fairly serious injuries.

According to a couple of Wolves supporting mates he is an excellent prospect and plays either wing.

If we are simply looking for the left , Collison might be useful.

Jack Collison looks very promising as too does Mark Noble.

I think Rafa has shown a lot more discipline in terms of rising to the considerable bait, i.e. a lack of money.

As far as improving the team with the replacements he has signed, only time will tell on that score. I'm very confident that Johnson will prove to an improvement on Arbeloa but Aquilani, i'm not so sure because I simply haven't seen enough of him.

I personally think we're a bit short in an attacking sense to be fully confident of repeating last season's points haul but again, only time will tell on that score.

It's extremely frustrating that we are so close, yet so far away from potential greatness.

I think Rafa has shown a lot more discipline in terms of rising to the considerable bait, i.e. a lack of money.

As far as improving the team with the replacements he has signed, only time will tell on that score. I'm very confident that Johnson will prove to an improvement on Arbeloa but Aquilani, i'm not so sure because I simply haven't seen enough of him.

I personally think we're a bit short in an attacking sense to be fully confident of repeating last season's points haul but again, only time will tell on that score.

It's extremely frustrating that we are so close, yet so far away from potential greatness.

I wasn't even commenting on the quality just that the type of player is one that suits the type of football we were playing at the end of the season vs what we were playing at the beginning of the season.

Short. I reckon we are short everywhere bar goalie personally. We only really have 3CMs, 3CHs. Prior seasons we've had four choices there and Manure and Chelsea have 4 full internationals for each.

I wasn't even commenting on the quality just that the type of player is one that suits the type of football we were playing at the end of the season vs what we were playing at the beginning of the season.

Short. I reckon we are short everywhere bar goalie personally. We only really have 3CMs, 3CHs. Prior seasons we've had four choices there and Manure and Chelsea have 4 full internationals for each.

Oh Right, I get you.

Hopefully that is the case because we were superb going forward from March onwards. I hope we adopt the same kind of style from the start this season. This league is all about setting out to batter teams that you are clearly superior to, and I hope that's the major lesson we'll have learnt from last time around.

When I commented on us being 'short' I was referring to quality as well as quantity.