You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I hate the Guardian

dennis tooth

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

More money goes from the US to Iraq and Afghanistan than Israel, of course.

Can you provide evidence of this claim? Fair play if you can like. 

And I assume this will be military aid seeing as this is what we are talking about. 

9 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Surely we are all familiar by now with the claim that governments around the world are secretly controlled by the Jews. "Joking" that Congress isn't allowed to spend any money unless some of it goes to Israel unambiguously mines this particular seam of thought.

What a very convenient twisting of a  'trope'

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Can you provide evidence of this claim? Fair play if you can like. 

And I assume this will be military aid seeing as this is what we are talking about. 

No, it's all aid, you didn't limit it to military aid in your post, when you wrote "foreign assistance". Regardless, Afghanistan tops both categories (total aid and military aid).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_foreign_aid

5 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

More money goes from the US to Iraq and Afghanistan than Israel, of course.

I have not done any research, but I know the US also gives a lot of money to Egypt and Pakistan, probably as well as to countries where they are involved in nation building because they toppled their previous regimes.

Historically, American aid to Israel has been substantial, as far as I remember. And the strategic relationship is surely undeniable, it probably transcends short term goals and politics. Same as with the UK.  

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

No, it's all aid, you didn't limit it to military aid in your post, when you wrote "foreign assistance". Regardless, Afghanistan tops both categories (total aid and military aid).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_foreign_aid

No, we have been talking about military ai as per the article. Some people let you get away with pulling your sly little tricks but still.... Are you sure that is accurate? I mean I wouldn’t want to prove you wrong (again) if it isn’t. 

Also, you have swerved another question. 

9 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

No, we have been talking about military ai as per the article. Some people let you get away with pulling your sly little tricks but still.... Are you sure that is accurate? I mean I wouldn’t want to prove you wrong (again) if it isn’t. 

"Financial assistance" was the first phrase you used, and covers all aid, military or otherwise.

I do love how you don't need to provide evidence of the things you write, yet demand evidence from me, and then when I provide it, you question its accuracy. Then accuse me of dodging questions (not that there is any moral imperative for me to answer anything, but still).

15 minutes ago, sir roger said:

What a very convenient twisting of a  'trope'

The thing is, Afghanistan receives more military aid than Israel, yet making a joke about military aid to Afghanistan wouldn't have entered the correspondent's head. You can draw your own conclusions about why that may be. I certainly have.

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

"Financial assistance" was the first phrase you used, and covers all aid, military or otherwise.

I do love how you don't need to provide evidence of the things you write, yet demand evidence from me, and then when I provide it, you question its accuracy. Then accuse me of dodging questions (not that there is any moral imperative for me to answer anything, but still).

The main gist of the article is a statement about military aid as you well know. But ok you can have that one.

Is he a Middle East correspondent? 

Have you asked me to provide evidence of anything and I haven’t? 

You do dodge questions SD. Of course you don’t ‘have’ to answer any but you have to understand the observation of the questions you do avoid. You also have history of dishonesty so I’m

naturally sceptical when it comes to you. That’s not my doing fella. 

1 minute ago, Mook said:

Sorry to break up the Isreal party but the state of this fucking article. No wonder normal, working class British people see The Guardian as a load of lefty, liberal shite...*

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/08/dread-daughter-poos-smaller-girl-conform

*I consider myself to be left wing politically

You’ve got questions to answer in the Iran thread 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mook said:

Sorry to break up the Isreal party but the state of this fucking article. No wonder normal, working class British people see The Guardian as a load of lefty, liberal shite...*

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/08/dread-daughter-poos-smaller-girl-conform

I hope it hasn't done anything of worth in the last seven years or the intervening years would have been wasted...

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I hope it hasn't done anything of worth in the last seven years or the intervening years would have been wasted...

Well it was complicit in getting the worst government in living memory into power so there is always that.

Apologies on the age of the article, someone sent me it tonight & I failed to notice the age of it.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Mook said:

That child is 10 now; old enough to appreciate the fact that Mummy once wrote about her jobbies in a national newspaper.

Homeschooling must be an absolute joy. "Now, darling, today I'd like you to write a story; and do try not to write another matricidal revenge fantasy."

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The thing is, Afghanistan receives more military aid than Israel, yet making a joke about military aid to Afghanistan wouldn't have entered the correspondent's head. You can draw your own conclusions about why that may be. I certainly have.

The trope as I understand it relates to Jewish people , whereas the article clearly denotes a specific relationship between the two governments , but you know this , and the fact you are still happy to throw it in illustrates the general thrust of the article and the preceding article re Loach.

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Does "foreign aid" include the total cost of firing a cruise missile into an Iraqi hospital?