You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Howard Webb

RobbieOR

He's going to be all over the TV now. He'll be a refereeing pundit on Sky or BT before you can say "corrupt, SYP-tossing, Fergie-rimming prick"; giving his over dramatic views on bog-standard decisions so he can eke out a meagre wage to pay for his never-unproven penchant for the slavery and eating of orphans.  The cheating, possible-enslaving-of-children, wanker.

• Upvote 1

He's going to be all over the TV now. He'll be a refereeing pundit on Sky or BT before you can say "corrupt, SYP-tossing, Fergie-rimming prick"; giving his over dramatic views on bog-standard decisions so he can eke out a meagre wage to pay for his never-unproven penchant for the slavery and eating of orphans.  The cheating, possible-enslaving-of-children, wanker.

I hope he is and get's quizzed about some of his decisions but BBC reported he is going to be chairman of the referees association actually so I cant see him being on the box where he would have to comment on his members performances..

Unfortunately he's dead but not yet buried and in a position of some influence.

I don't even believe he was bent, just phenomenally bad at refereeing like most Premiership referees. The standard in other countries is on another level where they aren't attempting to be the players best mate.

I just don't see this. I'm not saying your wrong but from what I've seen referees seem as bad everywhere else as they do here. Admittedly I don't see a great deal of foreign football but the bits I have seen has always led me to believe it's just an impossible job. The world cup was supposed to be a collection of the best refs in the world. Some of the decisions in that would have people in this country setting up spy cams to catch them recieving their brown envelopes. It was horrendous. Webb of course is the worst of a bad bunch here, but I don't think collectively we have the worst refs at all, if anything - some of ours actually seem like the better ones.

• Upvote 4

Its not Webb being dragged repeatedly through a pit full of sewage via the hook inserted in his rectum, having been shamed in front of the nation and sentenced to live in Elton John's sex dungeon, but I'll accept it.  Grudgingly.

* Sniffs *

Agree with the point about him being more prominent in the media from now on. As he no longer has to think about being selected for World Cups, I expect him to praise referees who send players off early for Eto'o-on-Henderson style leg breakers or De Jong-on-Alonso style kung fu kicks to the chest, and for not awarding Man Utd soft penalties at Old Trafford. Basically praising them for doing the exact opposite to what he would do in those situations.

As for the World Cup, it looked as though the referees had been asked to let games flow a lot more than is normally the case. Yes the officials still made some bad calls but we didn't see any games that descended into a kicking contest as has happened at previous World Cups where the referee was too whistle and card-happy. Normally before a World Cup, FIFA come up with a clampdown on certain infringements which results in a flurry of cards and suspensions in the group stages. When that is pointed out to them, they soften their stance and the referees often end up turning a blind eye to those same infringements in the latter stages. At least in Brazil 2014, there was consistency all the way through. Whether it was a high enough level of officiating is debatable but we didn't see wildly varying performances from the officials.

I'm as happy as the day that aul cunt maggie died.

That's about 6 points extra a season and a cup tie we are up now.

And Major Tom, don't start wading in here defending the bent twat or I'll have to break my self imposed ban on abusing you.

I'm lucky, I didn't have a ban to break.......you fucking halfwitted moron

3-4 games a season where we actually stand a chance without this oaf officiating? excellent.

i can't stand this fucking turkey strutting around as if though the match is all about him, with his chest puffed out and that smug look on his face, fucking bent twat.

• Upvote 1