You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nino9

His parting words to Roma: “I haven’t done anything wrong.”

He was once so amazing you could get past the toxicity. This is no longer the case. Roma fans seem to still love him though, even if the spending wasn’t sustainable if he couldn’t get them in the Champions League. 

15 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

In other words 'Set your standards so low it's almost impossible to fail!'

He's a busted flush and been left miles behind modern football. Rafa is the same if we are being honest. 

• Upvote 5

28 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

He's a busted flush and been left miles behind modern football. Rafa is the same if we are being honest. 

Rafa has been for 10 years, unfortunately. 

I can’t stand Mourinho, but he seems to have done a decent job at Roma. It’s more of a challenge than Guardiola’s ever taken on.

It would be a backward step for Newcastle to take him. He’s a rich man’s Dyche.

6 hours ago, rubble-rouser said:

Rafa has been for 10 years, unfortunately. 

I can’t stand Mourinho, but he seems to have done a decent job at Roma. It’s more of a challenge than Guardiola’s ever taken on.

It would be a backward step for Newcastle to take him. He’s a rich man’s Dyche.

Third highest budget in Serie A and he had them 9th in the league. 

You only have to watch that Spurs all or nothing documentary on Amazon to see how little of his magic is left. I think he did well at Roma to be fair but they played awful football. I still keep my ear in the serie a for nostalgic purposes and the football is woeful, Roma arguably the most boring side to watch but he still won something there. 

At Spurs on his first day he’s trying to make small talk with players on the training ground and they pretty much all ignore him. I’d love him to go to Newcastle. He’s box office and he will probably win them a league cup before it all goes wrong as usual. 

His stint at Roma is being seen as decent because they hadn't won anything for 15 years. Had De Rossi and Totti still been there he'd have been fucked off a while ago. He took over at the perfect time when the squad has zero leadership or big characters, and expectations were at rock bottom.

He had Dybala, Belotti (who he never fucking played), Abraham, and Lukaku. There was zero excuse for his shit on a stick football. Although, the truth is, they were terrible defensively anyway.

He kept the fans on side with his tedious, hard done to, theatrics every week on the touchline. The type of shit Everton would lap up. I think he was sent off at least twice this season for being a gobshite.

Unrelated, although I suppose it's Serie A stuff, Thiago Motta is a really good manager.

didnt he have a near breakdown at madrid?

taking everything else out,I thought that clip of him looking at the liverpool fans singing in madrid and saying amazing,was brilliant.

In a different reality he would have managed us. 

2 hours ago, Arniepie said:

didnt he have a near breakdown at madrid?

Yeah, he rocked up there expecting them to lick his arse like they did at Chelsea, and to some extent at Inter. He quickly found out he was about the 20th most important person at the club.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

His stint at Roma is being seen as decent because they hadn't won anything for 15 years. Had De Rossi and Totti still been there he'd have been fucked off a while ago. He took over at the perfect time when the squad has zero leadership or big characters, and expectations were at rock bottom.

He had Dybala, Belotti (who he never fucking played), Abraham, and Lukaku. There was zero excuse for his shit on a stick football. Although, the truth is, they were terrible defensively anyway.

He kept the fans on side with his tedious, hard done to, theatrics every week on the touchline. The type of shit Everton would lap up. I think he was sent off at least twice this season for being a gobshite.

Unrelated, although I suppose it's Serie A stuff, Thiago Motta is a really good manager.

Mourinho's on one end of the manager spectrum with the guys who know how to win stuff, with the other end being the ones who can build squads and develop players, but may not win at all.

Him winning a cup was good for the supporters, I'm sure, and he can brag that he's still more of a "winner" than most managers, but clubs are never in a good place for the next guy when he leaves them. 

It depends what a club wants, but the current iteration of Mourinho isn't someone I respect more just because he can win a cup or two, in comparison with someone who wins nothing but who has improved the play of a team.

You have to win so much to make up for being as pragmatic and short termist as he is. He used to but not anymore.

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Mourinho's on one end of the manager spectrum with the guys who know how to win stuff, with the other end being the ones who can build squads and develop players, but may not win at all.

Him winning a cup was good for the supporters, I'm sure, and he can brag that he's still more of a "winner" than most managers, but clubs are never in a good place for the next guy when he leaves them. 

It depends what a club wants, but the current iteration of Mourinho isn't someone I respect more than someone who has won nothing but who has improved the play of a team, just because he can win a cup or two. You have to win so much to make up for being as pragmatic and short termist as he is. He used to but not anymore.

The Inter job was the ultimate example of this. He basically left a squad with an average age of 57, all on massive wages, many of whom had a year's contract left. Rafa's ego made him take the job, but it was always doomed to be a failure.

Serie A has been a bit like that generally though regarding appointments and squad management. Anyone who has ever played Football Manager knows as much, you need 24 months to tidy up the fucking mess. 

On 17/01/2024 at 08:53, Ron B said:

He was once so amazing you could get past the toxicity. 

Not for me. I always hated his attitiude. And I truly believe he's one of those people who only gets pleasure from seeing others lose - all the shushing, all the mocking, all the sneering, all the throwing away of the medals. Winning didn't make him happy, only seeing others fail to win did that. So when he can't see enough of that misery, there's nothing but misery for him. Deep down he's still the PE teacher with the clipboard, the outsider who needs a safe carapace of hate around him to exist in that environment. When you have to drag that persona around with you for so long, it must be draining. It must be like having to appear in panto all year long.

Apparently,away from football Mourinho is a decent enough fella and speaks to people respectfully and naturally just as most of us do. But he does everything he can to manage and control the players he works with,including very questionable practices that push or go beyond the limits of morality or law even. Re the referee and his family in last year's European final and so on. He is a prized manipulator and his comparison to a PE teacher is a good one. I think Rafa is similar in some aspects too.

On 18/01/2024 at 17:51, Jairzinho said:

The Inter job was the ultimate example of this. He basically left a squad with an average age of 57, all on massive wages, many of whom had a year's contract left. Rafa's ego made him take the job, but it was always doomed to be a failure.

Serie A has been a bit like that generally though regarding appointments and squad management. Anyone who has ever played Football Manager knows as much, you need 24 months to tidy up the fucking mess. 

I hate mourinho and hate his football. But to be fair despite the team Rafa took over being old, he took over European champions and mourinho is the last manager to win a champions league with an Italian team. I'm sure all Inter fans wouldn't replace that win for pretty much anything. It's the first time they'd won it since they were cheating bribing refs in the 60s. 

47 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I hate mourinho and hate his football. But to be fair despite the team Rafa took over being old, he took over European champions and mourinho is the last manager to win a champions league with an Italian team. I'm sure all Inter fans wouldn't replace that win for pretty much anything. It's the first time they'd won it since they were cheating bribing refs in the 60s. 

No doubt, but there is always zero regard for the future of the club from Mourinho. He knew someone would have to sort out that mess and it certainly wasn't going to be him.

Inter's side now is something else, by the way. Fucking top class team.

35 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

No doubt, but there is always zero regard for the future of the club from Mourinho. He knew someone would have to sort out that mess and it certainly wasn't going to be him.

Inter's side now is something else, by the way. Fucking top class team.

Yes, but football is about moments. Sure he could build for the future and then build for the future some more and tomorrow never comes. He's a now manager. People hire him to make things happen in that moment. The reason his stock is so low now is when he was at inter 14 years ago, he was leaving clubs in the shit after a couple of seasons and dropping a European cup on the table for their trouble - I'm sure inter thought it a price worth paying. But he's on the decline now where his pinnacle in Salford was a uefa cup, getting a TV show made at spurs and a uefa conference at Roma. So while he's not exactly a busted flush, he still picks up more silverware than most, leaving a poor squad in his wake seems a bigger price to pay when the size of the trophies are getting smaller. 

21 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

As has been said, he always seems sound when he’s not a manager. 

When he was in-between jobs and worked at Sky doing the Sunday games punditry, I thought he came across well, almost likeable.

I bet he’d be better to go for a bevy with than Guardiola. Wouldn’t has be a much fun as Klopp though.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Scott_M said:

When he was in-between jobs and worked at Sky doing the Sunday games punditry, I thought he came across well, almost likeable.

I bet he’d be better to go for a bevy with than Guardiola. Wouldn’t has be a much fun as Klopp though.

This