You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Buy of the century?

ToxtethTerror

What relatively unknown or young player is the best ever?

I think Barcelona signing Leo Messi for peanuts at 14 was a coup, the same for Raul being poached from Atletico Madrid by Real. There is also Fabregas at Arsenal from Barcelona?

For experienced players: Cantona at £1m for me is the bargain of the century in England.

Patrick Vieira at £3.5m was a huge snip, Wenger has won nothing since he left.

For Liverpool and Houllier - Sami Hyypia?

I don't think Rafa has unearthed a real gem and made him into a super star yet although Torres has been a major success for us.

I think Barcelona signing Leo Messi for peanuts at 14 was a coup, the same for Raul being poached from Atletico Madrid by Real. There is also Fabregas at Arsenal from Barcelona?

2 Brilliant ones, along with Aguero, but he did cost £15M

I don't think Rafa has unearthed a real gem and made him into a super star yet although Torres has been a major success for us.

Give it a few years and Agger/Skrtel at £6M could be a brilliant one.

Also - Cantona wasn't this century:whistle:

In profit terms Wenger's had some absolutely fantastic buys.

Good call on Ferguson seeing something special in former Sheffield Wednesday journeyman Cantona.

Garry Macca at 36 was a stroke of genius from Houllier, and Sami Hyppia has been one of our all time great signings.

Steve Bruce (or his scouts) did well to get in Palacios, Valencia and Zaki at Wigan in recent times. At least two of those would improve us, though Spurs were typically ripped off for Palacios.

Im not old enbough to remember but surely some of our old signings from 20 odd years ago could be in there, me Da is always going on about players who we would pluck from Stanley park or other obsqure Leagues for a packet of crisps or and a tangerine(exotic fruit).

Not exactly Stanley park, but Scunthorpe - Clemence and keegan, Northampton - Phil Neal, Vancouver Whitecaps - Grobbelar, South Liverpool - Jimmy Case...we've had our share...I think Insua, Delle Valle, Galacsi and Pacheco just as a kick off may be there one day from the current crop.

Assume past 25 years! Deal of century was figure of speech. I think this highlights how much bette Man United have been in the market than us over the past 18 years.

How does it?

They had a unique set of quality youth players in the mid 90's, and have added established big name players since.

What unknown gems have they bought?

How does it?

They had a unique set of quality youth players in the mid 90's, and have added established big name players since.

What unknown gems have they bought?

They did better with their youth players than we did. Look at some of them, Neville x 2 - are they that much better than Matteo and Wright or just managed and coached better? They certainly aren't better than Rob Jones. We also had a great set of youth players during the nineties come through - Fowler, Redknapp, McManaman etc but did we manage them as well?

The biggest factor in our failure against the Mancs these past 18 years has been poor transfer buys and poor player development. Basically Alex Ferguson.

Unknown gems? How about Kanchelskis, Smiechal (sp!), etc?

They did better with their youth players than we did. Look at some of them, Neville x 2 - are they that much better than Matteo and Wright or just managed and coached better? They certainly aren't better than Rob Jones. We also had a great set of youth players during the nineties come through - Fowler, Redknapp, McManaman etc but did we manage them as well?

The biggest factor in our failure against the Mancs these past 18 years has been poor transfer buys and poor player development. Basically Alex Ferguson.

Unknown gems? How about Kanchelskis, Smiechal (sp!), etc?

Im not sure how comparing their youth dev in the 90s with ours is relevant to this thread, but its interesting and might be worth starting another thread for it.

I'll give you Schmiechel, one of the best keepers Ive ever seen, and he cost 500 grand or something.

Controversial one, but Tim Cahill's been an excellent buy for the shite (I think it was £2.5m). His goals have either kept them up or got them into Europe.

Yep, a reluctant good call from me. He's a very good player. I think they paid nearer £1.5m for him.

He'd improve us. *shudders and hides*

For experienced players: Cantona at £1m for me is the bargain of the century in England.

Patrick Vieira at £3.5m was a huge snip, Wenger has won nothing since he left.

Ian Rush £300,000 from Chester.

Big Sami - 2.5m

Reina - fantastic deal for 6m