You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

For the weed smokers amongst us

Hooch

I shagged a bird in the pool at the Fiesta Sahara hotel back in 97, got a round of applause when we'd done from several balconies, was that you ?

As for smoking, my best highs are always in the Dam, something about the quality of the weed and the general laid back atmosphere I guess. Though over the years a combination of my accumulated use and lesser quality weed have dimmed those highs. But THE best high was actually on a golf course. A friend and I played Brocket Hall, famous due to Lord Brocket once being on Im a celebrity and perviously cos he buried 500 vintage cars in his grounds for some kind of fraud. Anyway, i digress, we were in a buggy and about to go into a stream, we tried to reverse but it just wouldnt go back up the hill. oine of those moments when you had to be there. We ended up with tears in our eyes and jaws aching for about half hour and had to let several, well to do gentry types play through as we got our composure back. The combination of the poshness of the place and the types around just added to the hilarity of the whole situation.

Bad times, generally when on the beer too. But sometimes just through too much. Nothing really bad though.

Ace story mate, can just picture it.

• 3 years later...

Like, shit man!

Long famous for "coffee shops" where joints and cappuccinos share the menu, the Netherlands' famed tolerance for drugs could be going up in smoke.

A judge on Friday upheld a government plan to ban non-Dutch residents from buying cannabis by introducing a "weed pass" available only to residents.

The regulation reins in one of the best known symbols of the country's reputation of tolerance.

For many tourists visiting Amsterdam, smoking a joint in a canalside coffee shop ranks alongside visiting the Van Gogh Museum on their must-do list.

Friday's ruling by a judge at The Hague district court clears the way for the weed pass to be introduced in southern provinces on 1 May.

The new law, which will turn coffee shops into private clubs with membership open only to Dutch residents and limited to 2,000 per shop – will roll out in the rest of the country, including Amsterdam, next year.

Amsterdam mayor Eberhard van der Laan is hoping to hammer out a compromise with the national government.

Coffee shops are also resisting the change. Maurice Veldman, a lawyer representing owners, said he would file an appeal against the ruling.

The most recent figures from the government say the country has more than 650 coffee shops, 214 of them in Amsterdam.

The number has been steadily declining with the imposition of tougher regulations, such as closing shops close to schools.

But the new membership rules are the most significant move in many years.

The government argues that it needs to crack down on so-called "drug tourists" – effectively couriers who drive over the border from neighbouring Belgium and Germany to buy large amounts of cannabis, which they resell at home.

They are said to cause traffic and public order problems in towns along the Dutch border.

Such issues do not exist in Amsterdam, where most tourists walk or ride bikes and buy drugs purely for their own consumption.

City spokeswoman Tahira Limon said the weed pass "doesn't solve any problems we have here and it could create new problems".

She said four to five million tourists visit Amsterdam each year and about 23% say they visit a coffee shop during their stay.

Amsterdam argues that the reasons coffee shops were first tolerated decades ago are still relevant – they are well-regulated havens where people can buy soft drugs without coming into contact with dealers of hard drugs such as heroin and cocaine.

Coffee shops cannot serve alcohol or sell drugs to people under 18.

The government said on Friday that there would be no exceptions to the new rules. "Amsterdam will also have to enforce this policy," said Job van de Sande, a spokesman for the ministry of security and justice.

The conservative Dutch government said it wants the shops to revert to what they were originally intended to be: small local stores selling to local people.

However, the Dutch government collapsed this week and new elections are scheduled for September. It is unclear whether the new administration will keep the new measures in place.

Veldman called Friday's court ruling a political judgment. He said: "The judge completely fails to answer the principal question: Can you discriminate against foreigners when there is no public order issue at stake?"

Coffee shop owners in the southern city of Maastricht have said they plan to disregard the new measures, forcing the government to prosecute one of them in a test case.

Gruniad

Never done anything out of the ordinary when smoking. Just the usual. Just watching films and tv shows, or chilling out the back having "deep" conversations with mates, stoned shagging with the girlfriend, camping and the like.

Worst experience was mother's day. My girlfriend doesn't get on with her mum and felt a bit down that day, I ended up getting a bit too stoned before coming home and she was fuming with me. I ended up bursting out laughing while she was in tears and shaking with anger and she threw me out. Fortunately she loves me so I was forgiven, but when that high wore off I felt very down and embarrassed.

Think I'm getting a bit too into the stuff tbh. I never used to smoke around the girlfriend but now I do, she pretends she doesn't mind, but I can tell she kinda does. I always bring some back to my mum's when I come visit and last night I just woke up and smoked by myself from 2pm til about 3am. Never used to smoke by myself, haven't since I was 17 and first got into it, but lately I have been hammering it since I finished all my work, but my mate's have hand-ins until mid May.

I've been smoking at least twice a week since June last year and I do believe I'm starting to become a bit too dependent on it. I've been planning my weekends around it lately. Pretty sad really.

Never done anything out of the ordinary when smoking. Just the usual. Just watching films and tv shows, or chilling out the back having "deep" conversations with mates, stoned shagging with the girlfriend, camping and the like.

Worst experience was mother's day. My girlfriend doesn't get on with her mum and felt a bit down that day, I ended up getting a bit too stoned before coming home and she was fuming with me. I ended up bursting out laughing while she was in tears and shaking with anger and she threw me out. Fortunately she loves me so I was forgiven, but when that high wore off I felt very down and embarrassed.

Think I'm getting a bit too into the stuff tbh. I never used to smoke around the girlfriend but now I do, she pretends she doesn't mind, but I can tell she kinda does. I always bring some back to my mum's when I come visit and last night I just woke up and smoked by myself from 2pm til about 3am. Never used to smoke by myself, haven't since I was 17 and first got into it, but lately I have been hammering it since I finished all my work, but my mate's have hand-ins until mid May.

I've been smoking at least twice a week since June last year and I do believe I'm starting to become a bit too dependent on it. I've been planning my weekends around it lately. Pretty sad really.

You need to kick that shit mate, seriously.

Chill out man, dont wurry so much about it, ye thinkin too much.

Have a spliff, take your mind off things.

here are numerous tales of weed (in moderation) making people sick, unsociable, less confident and in bother with the police......

steroids (in moderation) make people more confident and in better physical shape.....

weed better than steroids?:(

Classic 'beef.

I went off weed for a bit, but I've been getting my mitts upon some lovely organic resin. It reminds me of the weed of old, gold seal, leb, a nice light buzzy high that leaves you still able to function but with a nice glow around things.

Perfect for a sneaky one skinner behind the workshop before you start the days labours.

This strange smoking substance of which you speak.....how would one acquire such things?

Next time you see a large black man with dredlocks approach him and say;

"Waddup dawg? I was just cruising and looking for some cat to give me access to some sweet sensemelia. Do you know what I am saying, brother?"

At this point offer your hand as if for a shake but clench your fist. if you receive a fist bump you have found your dealer.

I went off weed for a bit, but I've been getting my mitts upon some lovely organic resin. It reminds me of the weed of old, gold seal, leb, a nice light buzzy high that leaves you still able to function but with a nice glow around things.

Perfect for a sneaky one skinner behind the workshop before you start the days labours.

Gold Seal, bloody hell that's a blast from the past.

From the age of 16 til about 39 I think I could count on my two hands the number of days I didn't smoke weed (foreign holidays and staying at parents' houses excepted). When I got divorced I decided to knock it on the head and I geared myself up, preparing for withdrawal symptoms of some sort and....nothing. I just stopped smoking the stuff.

I had some sk about a year ago - knocked my bloody head off and threw a bit of a whitey which took me bnack a few years! Think I'll give it a swerve from here on in but if I was passed a joint at a party or camping or whatever I'll probably have a toot.

Can we stop bumping this thread please it makes me cringe every time I see it.

Would never touch the stuf again. The good times I had with it were far outweighed by the depressing and neagtive vibes it give me, not to mention the bags under my eyes, the bad memory problems and general feeling "scatty" when on it.

Drugs are for mugs etc.

Cheers x

I've kind of started to stop smoking weed recently, if I had better stuff to chose from I might enjoy it more but the stuff I get is just ok but it just makes me sleepy now and I just end up watching TV. They need to legalize it so we can have shops with choices that give you different highs, I'm bored with the only stuff I can get.

The down side is I've started drinking more often which is bad because I've lost a lot of weight recently and drinking is not going to help me keep that going, I am a lot more fun socially drunk than high though.

I don't have a particular favourite high moment, just times smoking with a bunch of mates and telling stories and laughing my ass off. Everything is funnier when your stoned.