You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alonso asks to leave???

Fugitive

He was superb in the 1st leg of the semi final against Chelsea and was the best player on the pitch that day, but he needs to produce that kind of performance on a more regular basis.

Doesn't that apply to most of our players, though? Why is this always made a point when we discuss Alonso, and will Barry prove any better?

In my opinion signing Barry and/or selling Alonso at this moment of the season would be pointless because it would bring in a new player that is not used to our system, something which could set us back in a possible title race. We can't afford to make that many mistakes over the 38 games before we'll find ourselves too far behind.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I`ll tell you: We wait one year, sell Xabi for 15 mill (as the potential buyers then will have got the message that we won`t sell him cheap anyway) and buy Barry for 8 mill (as he will have only one year left of his contract).

The difference will be 12-13 mill in our favour compared with the scenario where we buy Barry and sell Alonso now.

we'll be lucky to get 8 million for alonso next year unless their is a marked improvement

You really are serious? Well, it does fit in with your other opninions...

ok then if torres's miss's is having a baby on the night of a champions league final or maybe gerrards it would be fine for them to miss the match then going by your principles

why not? at the end of the day it was a key match and he could have seen the baby at the hospital when he got back, and I am speaking as a father who was at the birth of my child, it was a wonderful experience but I didn't have a duty to Liverpool football club and its supporters, what if it was torres missing a champions league final? would it be so easily accepted by the fans, I don't think so, more would have been made of it if we lost.
I suppose it depends on how much said players or fans value the wellfare of there loved ones.

ok then if torres's miss's is having a baby on the night of a champions league final or maybe gerrards it would be fine for them to miss the match then going by your principles
I only dread to think what the reaction of our manager would be if two of our key players decided to miss the start of the season, such a vital part of the league campaign to go and represent their countries at the olympics.

why not? at the end of the day it was a key match and he could have seen the baby at the hospital when he got back, and I am speaking as a father who was at the birth of my child, it was a wonderful experience but I didn't have a duty to Liverpool football club and its supporters, what if it was torres missing a champions league final? would it be so easily accepted by the fans, I don't think so, more would have been made of it if we lost.

:eek: :no :thumbdown

I think that's a disgrace mate. He was putting his Family before Football as any Man who loves his Family should. It seems that you put Football ahead the welfare of your Family which ain't right but there you go.

I've said it before on here, Xabi is one of my favourite players at the club, on his day I think you'll struggle to find a better passer of the ball anywhere. Yes, he's been inconsistent of late, but it doesn't hide the fact that that he's still a class player. However, if he is to leave, then so be be it. I'll still stand by the manager and if he is prepared to let him go then he feels that he has given all he can at the club. Obviously, I'd rather not let him go to another Premiership side, but it looks like its going to go that way.

I suppose it depends on how much said players or fans value the wellfare of there loved ones.

I only dread to think what the reaction of our manager would be if two of our key players decided to miss the start of the season, such a vital part of the league campaign to go and represent their countries at the olympics.

going to play in an important match does not mean you value the wellfare of your loved ones any less, what utter dross

i don't think rafa is entirely happy about it, i personally think its a disgrace they are missing the start of the season for a tinpot football event, the situation is slightly different in the fact that we are expected to beat sunderland even if we do have a few players missing, to be honest I think Alonso is a commited player but I think personally he should have travelled to milan as I wouldn't want better players missing key games when their wifes/girlfriends are in labour especially if it was a champions league final or title decider.

going to play in an important match does not mean you value the wellfare of your loved ones any less, what utter dross

i don't think rafa is entirely happy about it, i personally think its a disgrace they are missing the start of the season for a tinpot football event, the situation is slightly different in the fact that we are expected to beat sunderland even if we do have a few players missing, to be honest I think Alonso is a commited player but I think personally he should have travelled to milan as I wouldn't want better players missing key games when their wifes/girlfriends are in labour especially if it was a champions league final or title decider.

Put yourself in Alonso's shoes for a minute.

Say you went to Milan and then there were complications during the labour and you were not there, how would you feel?

I know what I would have done and that would have been to be with my Family because I value them more than football.

I think that's a disgrace mate. He was putting his Family before Football as any Man who loves his Family should. It seems that you put Football ahead the welfare of your Family which ain't right but there you go.

He is a professional footballer for which he is paid exceptionally well.

That carries responsibilities.

It is nothing to do with a family's welfare.

It is a birth.. Nagore is young & physically fit: she is not having open heart surgery.

He can't contribute anything other than support: there are trained doctor's & nurses to so that

If she was seriously ill or if he could actually do anything to help then i could see the welfare argument.

As has been pointed out would he have missed the CL final or Spain's Euro's triumph? I don't know.

Would Gerrard get stick on here if he chose to miss a CL final vs the Mancs? Yes, That i do know.

Do i fuck, and you can't make that comment on my personal belief that alonso could have travelled and seen the baby afterwards, but if you believe that not attending the birth of your child means you must care about other things before their welfare then thats up to you, but you are wrong, things are not always in black and white.

Put yourself in Alonso's shoes for a minute.

Say you went to Milan and then there were complications during the labour and you were not there, how would you feel?

I know what I would have done and that would have been to be with my Family because I value them more than football.

He is not a Dr.

If there were complications they would kick him out of the room immediatedly & let the trained professionals do their job.

Would he still want to be there? Yes, but there very little risk in modern society for someone of his wife's age/physical fitness.

Should he not want her to drive a car whilst he is away in case she crashes it & he can't be at the hospital whilst they operate?

Oh dear shame on you.

Fucking hell, I hate to be married to either of you two and your wives have my sympathy. You did not even consider the fact that his missus would need him there to support her. Nah, he is a football player so has no rights because he gets paid well and is in fact our property.

If Xabi did ask to leave he's a bit of a twat really, why did he wait to get himself and Barry cuptied thus reducing any chance of him being sold at a price that is acceptable to LFC

Mindblowing stuff for sure

Not really, he has been getting offered about all summer despite the fact he did not want to leave. Can you really blame the lad?

Fucking hell, I hate to be married to either of you two and your wives have my sympathy. You did not even consider the fact that his missus would need him there to support her. Nah, he is a football player so has no rights because he gets paid well and is in fact our property.

my missus would give me a good slap if she knew I posted what I did!! to be fair his missus could have other family members present for support, allI am trying to say is where do you draw the line? I am sure that if we lost a final or a title decider because a key player was attending the birth of his child questions would be asked, the player would not get slated I don't think and nor is alonso by me, I just think questions would be asked.

To be honest this issue has been and gone and has esculated a bit further than I intended when I responded to mc mentioning that he had every right to miss the game, I am not too bothered if Xabi leaves as he has not been playing well enough to be greatly missed but if he stays then I will support him and hope he can return to form.

Not really, he has been getting offered about all summer despite the fact he did not want to leave. Can you really blame the lad?

I dont blame him one bit

All I am saying the chances of him getting a move now are very slim indeed now that he is cuptied and only 2 weeks of the window left

Because Alonso wanted to stay and fight for his place but has been told, in uncertain terms, that he's not wanted.

Agree with that as well

Does beg the question is Rafa`s judgement clouded on this. Not the best way to motivate a player who will probably be with you until at least in January.

Anyway its a new season so lets start looking at the positives