You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The big Finn is one of my all time favourite Liverpool players. The model pro and such a top guy; what a bargain when we signed him. I hope we find a role for him behind the scenes when he finally retires.

This is from the official site re Agger's return:

Sami Hyypia admits the return of Daniel Agger at centre-back is a huge boost for Rafa Benitez – but the veteran insists he won't give up his first-team place without a fight.

Agger returned to senior action for the first time since September with a 75-minute run-out against Tranmere on Saturday.

His absence last term allowed Hyypia to continue his march towards 500 Liverpool appearances, with the big Finn's impressive performances proving age is no obstacle to class.

Despite turning 35 in October, Hyypia was granted a contract extension in the summer – and he doesn't intend to spend his 10th year at Anfield warming the bench.

He said: "It's nice to have him fit because players always want to play and it will have been hard for Daniel to deal with not being fit for so long.

"It must have been devastating for him to be out for almost a whole season.

"It's not something I would really know about because I have never suffered that kind of thing but I'm sure it was very difficult for him.

"But I'm really glad that he is back and he can help the team to win trophies.

"I'm sure the manager is happy because it means he has five centre-backs to choose from now.

"That means we all have to fight for our place but that's the way it has always been at Liverpool and this season will be no different.

"It's good to have that kind of challenge, though. I'll be fighting for my place and I'm sure the other defenders will be doing exactly the same."

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sami is a legend for this club and it will be a sad day at the end of this season when i would imagine the lad ends his time at Liverpool.

I had never heard of the lad when we signed him but what a rock he has been. He played far more games then he would have expected to last season but he was always there when needed and players like Carragher, Agger and Skrtel will all have learned things playing alongside the big Finn.

Sami is a true legend. Always conducted himself perfectly even when he lost the captains armband. Showed last season that he still had it when he was by far our best defender last season. I'm glad they let him have an additional year for his testimonial.

Also, how fuckin good was he last season! Unbelievably good signing.

Hopefully we'll have the sense to keep him on as defensive coach when he finishes at the end of the coming season (or the one after that!).

Carragher, Hyypia, Agger & Skrtelmonster. We've got the best defence in the world.

i wouldnt be surprised if he stayed on even after this season, rafa had to play more than he would have liked last year and this year he'll play maybe 15/20 games.

he still has loads to offer and i think he could play for another 2/3 years in our squad.

none of our other centre halves offer the aerial dominance that sami has and he will be great to have around the likes of danny, ninja skrtls and the younger lads coming thru.

rafa has shown in the past that he trusts experience so dont be surprised to see sami sign another 1 year contract or 2.

after that, hopefully he'll join the coaching staff.

top, top man sami.

Where he's talking about five centre-backs, who is considered our fifth choice?

I expect I've missed something obvious amidst sticking my fingers in my ears and going "la la la" all the way through the transfer panic.

If it's Arbeloa though, I beg to differ.

I expect I've missed something obvious amidst sticking my fingers in my ears and going "la la la" all the way through the transfer panic.

If it's Arebloa though, I beg to differ.

It might be Hobbs.

Was wondering that myself. It's still early[ish] morning here, and I worried for a minute I'd had a total lapse of mind something akin to when the horse breaks its leg and everybody knows the right thing to do is put him out of his misery.

After a cup of coffee and a few more minutes mindlessly staring at my desk, my guess was Hobbs, but is he ready yet? It'd be great news if he was, he seems to be a young man with a great deal of poise--which is a quality not lacking in our two older CB's. And if Rafa says the lad's ready, his judgement of defensive talent has proven excellent.

Hyypia was immense this past season. His lack of pace always looked to mean he'd grow old gracefully, but I never imagined him doing this well. Truly, "Legend" is the appropriate term. You knew when he lashed home the goal against Juve that you'd be telling your grandkids about it someday, and the way he played last season, it's not out of the question that the legend is done growing.

I still remember a couple of year ago people were saying Sami's career with us was over and it was time to sell him. I was glad he proved them all wrong this last season.

Yep.

I'll hold my hands and admit I was one of those it was time to move on from Sami. Very happy to be proved wrong though.

Was expecting him to run out of steam last season as I don't think evenhe expected to be playing so many games.

What an outstanding player.

If Rafa saw the value in Pelligrino than I can see Sami working with Ablett in the youth set up. Get those badges Sami.

Althouh working as scout in his homeland would be very helpful, find the next Litemanen.

Legend, love the way he has a big grin on when disputing a foul he's just given away. Comparing him to those two neanderthals (Ja Ja Binks and Mongo) you can really begin to appreciate this lad's humilty and quality as an indvidual.

Anyone who does not have a place in their heart for the big fella does not have one. As Coop said when he signed I thought Sami who, I love getting it wrong.

I would love us to win the League this season and give him the full haul, he deserves it and is a credit to the club and himself.

One of the best readers of the game the club has ever had and that is one hell of a compliment.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Anyone who does not have a place in their heart for the big fella does not have one. As Coop said when he signed I thought Sami who, I love getting it wrong.

I would love us to win the League this season and give him the full haul, he deserves it and is a credit to the club and himself.

One of the best readers of the game the club has ever had and that is one hell of a compliment.

Repped

One of my favourite players of all time, and I'd be suprised if other reds in my age bracket didn't say the same.

That goal against Arsenal last season just summed the man up for me - a rock; always there to provide an unfaultering display week after week and even raise his game when necessary.