You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

D-Day

M_B

Top thread mate.

Despite the loss of life involved I've always thought there's something heartwarming about D-Day, the thought of thousands of volunteers - not conscripts - charging into what was almost certain death - purely and simply because they believed something was wrong and needed to be stopped, is the most wonderfully noble image I can imagine.

In a world where firefighters get pelted with bricks and people advance their careers by standing on each other's throats, I think about it and feel almost envious of the simplicity and sheer nobility of that generation.

It was probably the peak of any endeavour in human history. Sad but beautiful.

Top thread mate.

Despite the loss of life involved I've always thought there's something heartwarming about D-Day, the thought of thousands of volunteers - not conscripts - charging into what was almost certain death - purely and simply because they believed something was wrong and needed to be stopped, is the most wonderfully noble image I can imagine.

In a world where firefighters get pelted with bricks and people advance their careers by standing on each other's throats, I think about it and feel almost envious of the simplicity and sheer nobility of that generation.

Very well put mate. A truely historic day.

Top Thread and a good post by S31.

The ages of my family meant they were too old, or too young, both my maternal great grandfathers where involved in WWI. I dont know too much about what my grandfather on my granddad partook in, but i know he ended up in an institution during his latter days. My nan's dad was in the battle of the Somme.

Two of my great uncles (on different sides) were in the war, not D-day though. One was a wing commander in a Spitfire Squadron (!) and the other fought with the Gurka's in India against the future inventors of the Walkman. He got captured by them too the poor sod.

My Grandad was too young for the war but served in catering corps in the occupation forces in Austria and Italy, where he made a good living from cyphoning off tins of Sardines in Olive Oil (which the Britts didn't like) and selling them to the local Italians.

He was the Del Boy of his unit.

By now all the beaches had been secured and troops and tanks were moving inland and the Germans were beginning to plan counter attacks.

My family had no involvement in D-Day as such, but one of my grandfathers served as an artilliery bombadier and was involved in the push for the bridges in Market Garden. Unfortunately he was ambushed and killed just a week before the Germans signed the armistice and is now buried at the cemetry that overlooks the signing ceremony. His mother was also killed during the blitz so he didn't have much luck really.

My other grandfather was an aide and served in Palestine.

happy d-day !

although i have no relatives that were directly involved, i'm a student of military history and d-day has always had a special attraction for me.

even as a small boy, i've wanted to travel the beaches and follow the path of conquests. finally, for the 50th anniversary, i gathered up my bike and traveled across the atlantic and went on a four week tour of normandy by myself.

i don't know if anyone remembers the celebrations, but it pissed with rain for weeks on end. i didn't mind though - it made me think of the hardships the soldiers endured !!

one day i had a flat tire on a small coastal road and it was lashing down with rain and wind. to get shelter from the elements and fix the tire i had to jump through a hedgerow. i can't imagine the fear of the unknown they must have felt.....i ended up in a muddy field up to my knees in mud fixing a tire and crying for a warm bed.

it was a magical trip and one i'll never forget (highly recommended).

maybe i'll add photos later....

Yeah, my uncle was in the RAF and was on a ship based just off the beach directing planes in using radar. The ship got sunk but he survived happily and is still going strong. I've studied DDay a lot and it is as said above one of the great achievements, huge risks, lots of deception and very very brave men

Top thread mate.

That war is where it all started going to shit, mate. People became more liberal, the, very real, thought of 'fuck it I might be dead tomorrow', made people do things society wouldn't normally let them.

My mums dad was at the Somme, he was shot going over the top, but thankfully he wasn't killed, I credit him as being the reason I'm a Red, and my ex wifes dad was a Japanese PoW, they really fucked him up.

We'd all be Bayern Munich fans and shouting "Sieg Heil" at the match if it wasn't for the bravery of the men and women on that fateful day 64 years ago. RIP to those who lost their lives.

Has anyone else got Virgin Central (no not the local convent) Band of Brothers the full series and the documentary is on their, I watched the whole series last week, what a programme.

Top thread mate.

You deserve rep for that post but it won't let me give you any as I've repped you recently.

When I saw Saving Private Ryan in the cinema, there were some really old people who burst into tears during the opening scenes.

It appears Speilberg nailed it that well, that it was quite a harrowing experience for the veterans.