You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Barry? If the answer is no, why aren't we after Ashley Young. He's the one we should be signing from Villa, even if it would cost us £20 million. He's a class player for the future and a lot better an option than Barry.

Agreed or someone like him

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nick, werent you saying the same things last summer?

To a degree but I think my argument carries even more weight this summer.

See no point going over Rafa´s transfer mistakes they are history now.

Lets see what actually happens because a lot could or could not happen before the end of the window. Xabi could get injured and not move, Villa could refuse to sell us Barry etc etc.

All I know is id prefer we spent the Alonso money on a quality wide player than Barry for all the reasons ive given in this thread but what I want doesnt really matter, its what Rafa wants that matters

According to this feed://soccer-europe.com/RSS/News.xml, Barry got 8 goals and 10 assists in the Premier League last season.

Xabi - if I recall correctly - didn't score and only made a couple of assists.

How's that for improvement?

It's silly the fact that Rafa is always accused of not going all out for the league and then when he tries to make a swap that is actually sacrificing CL chances for PL chances people don't see the point.

And for the record I will be gutted to see Xabi leave - I just think it makes sense in the bigger picture.

According to this feed://soccer-europe.com/RSS/News.xml, Barry got 8 goals and 10 assists in the Premier League last season.

Xabi - if I recall correctly - didn't score and only made a couple of assists.

How's that for improvement?

It's silly the fact that Rafa is always accused of not going all out for the league and then when he tries to make a swap that is actually sacrificing CL chances for PL chances people don't see the point.

And for the record I will be gutted to see Xabi leave - I just think it makes sense in the bigger picture.

How many were penalties of those eight?

How many were penalties of those eight?

I haven't got the exact number but according to the same site, it's less than four, since the ones in the top of the list for converted penalties has at least four and he's not in it.

But to be fair he's blowing Xabi out of the water on assists alone.

EDIT: Five of Barrys ten assists were from set pieces.

To a degree but I think my argument carries even more weight this summer.

See no point going over Rafa´s transfer mistakes they are history now.

Lets see what actually happens because a lot could or could not happen before the end of the window. Xabi could get injured and not move, Villa could refuse to sell us Barry etc etc.

All I know is id prefer we spent the Alonso money on a quality wide player than Barry for all the reasons ive given in this thread but what I want doesnt really matter, its what Rafa wants that matters

Maybe we still will or maybe he's seeing our new wing backs as enough width in our new formation.

I haven't got the exact number but according to the same site, it's less than four, since the ones in the top of the list for converted penalties has at least four and he's not in it.

But to be fair he's blowing Xabi out of the water on assists alone.

EDIT: Five of Barrys ten assists were from set pieces.

How many set pieces does Xabi take? Do we have players in the team who can convert set pieces? I think Gerrard is the best crosser in the league but we spurn loads he sets up. Villa build their team on Barry, be interesting to see Barry as a smaller fish in a bigger pond where teams put 10 men behind the ball and you need that little bit extra.

How many set pieces does Xabi take? Do we have players in the team who can convert set pieces? I think Gerrard is the best crosser in the league but we spurn loads he sets up. Villa build their team on Barry, be interesting to see Barry as a smaller fish in a bigger pond where teams put 10 men behind the ball and you need that little bit extra.

I think you're moving the goalposts here.

He's got much more goals and assists than Xabi, who apart from that is rarely seen dominating games anymore.

And I don't think anyone with eyes can deny that our set piece delivery has been piss poor for years so an upgrade on that would be most welcome.

Bit extreme, given Fergie got off with what he did. But I know where you are coming from and SG needs to learn when to shut his mouth.

Think you have to take the press reports with a pinch of salt- you know how they spin comments made by players- especially Gerrard, remember Chelsea?

I think Gerrard was purely asked what he thinks of Barry and would he like to see him at Liverpool.

Gerrard purely answered the question that he rates Barry and would love to see him at Liverpool.

As per normal the press will twist any quote they can get hold of and make it out as if Gerrard went seeking them to make a statement.

Some people seem to be talking some real shit on this thread.

Personally I think alonso looked a very good player when he arrived. But the last 2 years I think he has been very average. For someone who people say is the best passer of a ball at the club when the fuck does he show this?

Surely he should be creating more goals? Il use some stats to basically highlight my point.

In 2007/2008 Alonso set up 1 goal in the premier league. That is the same amount as Reina. He made 19 league appearances.

In 2006/2007 Alonso again set up 1 goal this time in 32 appearances.

Over these 2 premier league seasons Barry set up 14 premier league goals.

I wont even talk about goals but the point I am trying to make is that Alonso has been very poor for 2 seasons. As a team we are too reliant on gerrard and torres and we need more threat - both goal and creativity wise especially from other areas of the team.

I just think Alonso is not good enough any more based on the way he has performed for 2 years and for me Barry is an improvement.

I do agree that a wide player should be the priority but if Benitez feels this can improve the team then go for it.

I also think £16 million would be fantastic money for Alonso.

I am aware Alonso seems very popular on this site but I would suggest that is based on his performances in his debut season. I just cant agree with anyone who claims he has made any contribution in the last 2 seasons and I would get rid now especially if Barry is coming in.

JUVENTUS’S hopes of capturing Xabi Alonso are under threat with Real Madrid poised to enter the race to sign the Liverpool midfielder.

The Spanish club have admitted defeat in their open pursuit of Manchester United’s Cristiano Ronaldo after the newly-crowned European champions threatened to report them to FIFA over their conduct in trying to tempt the Portuguese winger to the Bernabeu.

With Ronaldo remaining at Old Trafford, Real are now looking at alternative high-profile captures to satisfy their supporters and Alonso, a Spanish international with 40 caps, fits the bill.

President Ramon Calderon said: “You can’t buy what the owner doesn’t want to sell. We have not interfered with Manchester United’s contract agreement with Cristiano Ronaldo. We’re sorry that Manchester United, a club with which we have an excellent relationship, is annoyed with us.

“I want to clear this up and assure them we are not going to influence any player to break a contractual relationship. We are not going to start a conflict. If a club doesn’t want to sell a player, why would we insist that they do sell him?”

Story continues Continue story

ADVERTISEMENT

Juventus remain keen to reunite Alonso with Momo Sissoko, his former colleague in the heart of the Liverpool midfield, but the Basque-born player is keen to keep his options open.

One of Juventus’s directors, Jean-Claude Blanc, met with Anfield officials last week and was warned that it would take an offer in the region of £16million to prise Alonso away.

At the time, Liverpool stressed that they did not need to sell the player but with Gareth Barry expected to arrive from Aston Villa next week, the 26-year-old is resigned to accepting his days with the club are numbered.

His agent Inaki Ibanez stated that he had a clear idea that Liverpool would like to sell his client but stressed that a decision would not take place until after next month’s European Championship finals in Austria and Switzerland. One sticking point over a potential move to Serie A’s most successful side is Liverpool’s transfer valuation with the Italians reluctant to pay more than £14million for a player who cost Rafael Benitez £10.5m from Real Sociedad when he arrived at Anfield in 2004.

However, Alonso’s price tag would prove no such problem for big spenders Madrid who had been prepared to fork out a world record for Ronaldo.

The player, whose partner Nagore Aranburu gave birth to a son Jon in March, is believed to be holding out for a return to his homeland for his young family.

The Turin-based outfit are under pressure to deliver a big name recruit after already missing out on former Arsenal midfielder Mathieu Flamini, who opted to join their rivals AC Milan.

Meanwhile, Liverpool’s second choice goalkeeper Charles Itandje (pictured) is attracting interest from FA Cup winners Portsmouth plus former club Lens, who have just been relegated, and fellow French side Rennes.

The 25-year-old, who failed to play in the Premier League last season, saw his only first-team action in seven FA and Carling Cup games.

Rafael Benitez is in the market for a fresh understudy to Pepe Reina and has targeted Itandje’s compatriot Ulrich Rame.

I think Gerrard was purely asked what he thinks of Barry and would he like to see him at Liverpool.

Gerrard purely answered the question that he rates Barry and would love to see him at Liverpool.

As per normal the press will twist any quote they can get hold of and make it out as if Gerrard went seeking them to make a statement.

It was on Radio 5 yesterday and it was a normal interview and Gerrard as you say was being honest. It's like me saying I would like to be going with Angelina Jolie. (Far fetched I know)

Alan Green defended Gerrard when Arlo White said he (Gerrard) was being brazen.

As much as I like Alonso, I think Rafa is of the opinion, like a lot of us on here, that Xabi has not been on his game for two years now, you don't get time ot settle back in easily with Rafa, if your doing it on the pitch you stay, and Barry is an accomplished Premier League player. Something we have moaned about when purchasing in previous summers. No need for a settling in period other than a change of playing style formation wise. Barry is intelligent enough to settle into our formation quickly and effectively.

If it brings us closer to number 19 it will be hailed as a master-stroke, if it doesn't and Xabi is sold and we get no nearer than last season, then Rafa will get slated for not keeping Xabi. he can't win.

I have not read/heard the interview and only gone on snippets i had seen.

Gerrard shouldnt really have said as much as he did but he answered the question truthly in that he would like to see Barry playing for us.

I personally have no problem with what Gerrard has said but can fully understand the Villa fans been pissed off as i would not like Terry coming out with a statement saying how he would like Gerrard to sign for them.

I will add that Gerrards statement does seem just the same as Defoe saying Crouch should sign for Portsmouth.

Our team has struggled to break teams down this season so rafa is going to sell one of our most creative players and replace him with a player who is famous for just making sideways passes and is getting fucked over for the fee,am I the only one who doesnt see the logic in this signing.

See my last post mate.

Our team has struggled to break teams down this season so rafa is going to sell one of our most creative players and replace him with a player who is famous for just making sideways passes and is getting fucked over for the fee,am I the only one who doesnt see the logic in this signing.

Alonso has been nowhere near his standard for 2 seasons now and saying Barry is famous for his sideways passing is complete bollocks.

If Alonso was playing like he did for his first season then there would be no competition as Xabi would be one of the first names on the team sheet.

You have to forget this whose the best player in Barry or Alonso bullshit as its whose the best for Liverpool at this current time and for me that is Barry at the left centre of midfield alongside Mascherano.

Welcome to the site by the way.