You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

David Moores

If anyone wonders why Liverpool fell so far behind the Mancs David Moores must take most of the blame. We’re still slightly ahead of them in terms of league wins & European Cups but if we’re being honest that will get overtaken sooner or later, particularly the league. The selling off of Liverpool to the 2 Yanks he hadn’t even googled was the final straw for most people but that was in 2007, Liverpool were already done in due to his lack of ambition and foresight since he became chairman.

He became chairman in 1991, a year after we last won the league, the Mancs had only won 7 League Titles, in 2007 they are on 17 and could have had more as they have rarely finished out of the top 3.

He gave Graeme Souness a bit of money to try and turn it round after Dalglish’s departure but it was evident by 1993 that it wasn’t going to happen, from then we accepted mediocrity using the excuse that we couldn’t automatically rebuild the empire we previously had and we were in transition, we’ve been using that excuse ever since then (5 year plans etc, while other teams manage to build 2 teams in that time). He basically waited until Souness could no longer stay due to poor performances rather than sack him and make a change.

He then gave the managers job to Roy Evans, great servant to the club, was backed with a few major signings, Collymore, Babb (ffs), Scales. Again we kept using the excuse that we were building a team and were in transition, by this time we were distinctly average but still had the excuse that things wouldn’t happen overnight, now we were 8/9 years on when he brought in Gerard Houllier to “work alongside” Roy Evans because DM didn’t have the balls to sack him or even move him upstairs for Houllier to take over. He basically waited til we hit a bad run of form and Evans decided himself that 2 into 1 doesn’t go and fell on his own sword.

All this time the Mancs won doubles, a treble, Arsenal won the double and other clubs were looking at expanding their grounds or moving altogether, Sunderland moved to a bigger ground than us and managed to fill it initially, Newcastle expanded theirs. We just stood still because David Moores didn’t want to make a decision to bring us into the modern age or do anything drastic. The boot room philosophy is good in principle but it can’t last forever, you have to move on but David Moores didn’t – he just stuck his head in the sand thinking the ghost of Bill Shankly would come back and save us all.

The stadium debacle has dragged on for god knows how many years now. When the Kemlyn road stand was knocked down in 1992 it was an ideal opportunity for Liverpool to build a stand that could have taken our overall capacity to over 50/52K but we again just settled for less, building an average sized stand, there must have been a season ticket waiting list back then so it would have been feasible to build a larger version. The houses behind the Anfield road end have now all been knocked down and 95 per cent of the houses behind the main stand are unoccupied so they could have rebuilt step by step or demolished most of the ground and arranged to play elsewhere for one season, teams in Italy did it before the 1990 World cup. We then had years of dithering over the new ground to come up with a bad version of the City of Manchester stadium with about 10,000 difference, the price of building it ballooned every six months that it was left untouched. No proactive or business like steps were ever taken to start it, just a load of dithering without any real intention of building it. It was almost half hearted like he didn’t really want us to move anyway.

No one really knows why he would never sell to Steve Morgan or blocked him coming on the board but was he really worse than the two dicks we are stuck with now?. There were rumours that he wanted to have access to the ground so he could build it using his company and groundshare with the bitters, even Morgan’s wife said he’d “rather do a deal with the devil” – well he did.

Him and Parry dithered again looking for “investment” – about 2 years, again a complete waste of time, we eventually sell to two parasites who know nothing about football and managed to blag him like a pair of dodgy car salesmen. One wasn’t even considered fit enough to buy into Aston Villa yet they still let them take control of our club ahead of DIC who had substantial money already, no one has ever been told the true reason why they binned DIC at the last minute so everyone has assumed that it was purely to line his own pocket, he’s never come out and said otherwise. When all the Klinsmann saga kicked off you never heard a peep out of Moores but when Parry was told he should resign Moores finally broke his silence and said they were out of order. He hasn’t said a word since Hicks and Gillett have turned on each other, he’s just sat in the directors box looking like he’s about to burst into tears at any moment. Well in David.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spot on. Take a bow David Moores. Youve managed to near enough single handedly stagnate the progress of our club over your 16 year reign. You must be proud. Oh and a special mention for Rick Parry aswell. You also take a bow!

Seconded, I also think Houllier got us close to them, then went ahead and fucked it all up again! I just hope Rafa can bridge the gap, but on a limited budget that is unlikely, they will go out and spend big again, while we have to sell the likes of Alonso to buy.

Get it off your chest mate!

Moores reminds me of a line from a Frank Sinatra song called 'here's to the losers'.

"Here's to those who love not wisely, no not wisely, but too well!"

His problem has alwayse been the fact that he let his heart rule his head. He persisted with Evans for too long (when in actual fact he should've been given the boot after the FA Cup 96 debacle) and took the unprecidented step of stupidly installing joint managers rather than yield to common sense.

He trusted Parry to find the right investment deal when everything must've been raising alarm bells, yet still he kept the faith. Again, rather than look who he was getting into bed with (as Doug Ellis did when he fucked Gillette off) he trusted Parry to do his job.

Now we're reaping the whirlwind, Moores is a man who lets his heart speak too loudly and a man who trusts too much in a cuthroat business.

I have as much pity for the man as I do anger, and I guarantee one thing, he'll have had more than his fair share of sleepless nights.

I agree, the man was never fit to run a football club of this stature.

I think his heart is probably in the right place, but he didn't have a fucking clue what he was doing, and sadly for him his legacy will be the countless embarrassment's he brought on the club (the joint managers, selling to the yanks etc..) and the fact that he let us slip so far behind our rivals.

'Thanks DM'.

He instilled his own standards of mediocrity where once there were none. The Hicks thing was just the cherry on the cake.

To give him some dues, he backed the club with huge money throughout his tenure. Everything else was a joke. Joint managers, joint chairmen, stadium fiasco, about 5 years to find an investor, no foresight whatsover as the Sky era and money kicked in. A pure shambles

He instilled his own standards of mediocrity where once there were none. The Hicks thing was just the cherry on the cake.

To give him some dues, he backed the club with huge money throughout his tenure. Everything else was a joke. Joint managers, joint chairmen, stadium fiasco, about 5 years to find an investor, no foresight whatsover as the Sky era and money kicked in. A pure shambles

If only he was just the cherry on the cake, they are pretty harmless and for decoration, Hicks is way much more harmful than a cherry.

I have as much pity for the man as I do anger, and I guarantee one thing, he'll have had more than his fair share of sleepless nights.

I used to have pity once but not any more. The interview he gave to the Echo recently was the final straw for me. Not a word about why he didn't choose DIC and the fact that he didn't know anything about Hicks and had to take Gillett's word for it. It is like appointing the first man they come across as a manager. You are a thick fucking cunt Moores.

Moores can have no excuses for being crap after 16 fucking years at the helm.

If only he was just the cherry on the cake, they are pretty harmless and for decoration, Hicks is way much more harmful than a cherry.

sorry, should have said evil meglomaniac assest stripping debt-lading rotten cherry

The fact that he even gave that interview in the echo after the Parry thing said it all to me. The club had been getting the heart ripped out of it for months by these two clowns and he had said nothing....

First they try and sack Rafa and replace him with a guy who had never managed a single club game in his life - a move that could have set us back years on the pitch. Not a word from Moores.

They load the club with over 300 million pounds worth of debt despite saying this wouldn't happen - a move which could set the club back decades both on and off the pitch. Not a word from Moores.

They try and sack his mate Parry - Exclusive interview in the echo.

The fact that he even gave that interview in the echo after the Parry thing said it all to me. The club had been getting the heart ripped out of it for months by these two clowns and he had said nothing....

First they try and sack Rafa and replace him with a guy who had never managed a single club game in his life - a move that could have set us back years on the pitch. Not a word from Moores.

They load the club with over 300 million pounds worth of debt despite saying this wouldn't happen - a move which could set the club back decades both on and off the pitch. Not a word from Moores.

It does speak volumes.

I always thought Moores was an incompetent arsehole.

That interview just confirmed my suspicions that he had no knowledge of or interest in the day to day running of the club.

Parry's performance as chief exec would of seen him sacked under any other chairman. Just proved that their only loyalty was to each other, fuck the club.

Cunts. End of.

He's allowed Parry free reign for the last ten years. Absolutely no accountability from the man until Rafa turned up and started to bash his around head a bit.

To be honest I have more respect for Tom Hicks than I do for Moores.

I think comments like burn him and other stuff is not needed in a thread.

However I have said for a while that he/parry are the reason we are were we are, obviously, and couldnt understand why they havent received more critisicm in the past. Thats a very very good post and agree with virtually every point, thats why this summer is so so big for us, in terms of boardroom level, stadium and which players we buy, there is no way we could have another season like that, its make or break time guys and hand on heart i really dont know which way its going to go.....

Word

Heart of gold but still a cunt, worst ever chariman in history of LFC and he made a small fortune out of us as well

He's allowed Parry free reign for the last ten years. Absolutely no accountability from the man until Rafa turned up and started to bash his around head a bit.

To be honest I have more respect for Tom Hicks than I do for Moores.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that as well

Hicks is actually doing what is right for him and killing LFC in the process.