You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Labour

King Emlyn

24 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I don't know of any official conspiracy theorist line. It's comical thinking we have a normal democracy on the go though when you have shit like that taking place (almost) every year.

How does this infringe upon democracy? I’m not saying it doesn’t, because I’ve never been invited. But those making claims surely know what’s being said, otherwise how could they make the claim? So, what’s the deal? 

55 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

How does this infringe upon democracy? I’m not saying it doesn’t, because I’ve never been invited. But those making claims surely know what’s being said, otherwise how could they make the claim? So, what’s the deal? 

It doesn't. It's a meeting of some of the most greedy and manipulative shits around where they figure out how the average person can live in a better and more fair society and maybe they can give up some of their wealth too by paying more taxes.

The lot of them simply carrying on as they do infringes upon democracy with the influence they have over politicians and economies. They're trying to maintain and expand their influence which makes things gradually worse.

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah, that’s almost verbatim what I was going to post but deleted. You’d think that if you had enough money, power, and ability to run the world you might figure out how to have a secret meeting. 

Apart from the fact that everything discussed is secret...... apparently. 

• 8 months later...

This is amazing

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/ex-lord-mayor-accused-bribing-26151897

Watch doorbell footage of ex-Lord Mayor of Birmingham Muhammad Afzal amid election 'date bribery' row

A former Lord Mayor has applied to halt a legal bid to overturn a Birmingham election result in a ''bribery row' involving dates after video footage emerged.

Ex city councillor Muhammad Afzal had petitioned the High Court to throw out the result of last May's poll in Aston - which he lost - claiming he was the victim of 'false' and 'malicious' claims that he tried to sway voters with packets of dried fruit.

Now video footage obtained from doorbell cameras appears to contradict that allegation.

In the original petition, posted last June, he said his Liberal Democrat rivals Ayoub Khan and Mumtaz Hussain had claimed, just days before the election, that packs of dates stamped 'Labour' were handed out in his name. They did so, he claimed, knowing it was 'false'.

The Lib Dem pair had gone on to win the two Aston seats in the election in what was deemed a Labour stronghold. Mr Afzal, 78, then applied to the election court to say the result should be scrapped over the fruit-bribery 'slurs'.

But during a preliminary hearing in the High Court last week, the former Lord Mayor applied to end his action after viewing doorbell footage of him on the campaign trail. It showed him with associates approaching front doors and appearing to hand over packets of the dried fruit.

In one piece of footage, submitted as evidence to the court, those with Mr Afzal can be heard to say the package was 'from the Labour Party and Mr Afzal'. In another, those receiving the package were then told to 'vote Labour number one'.

fruiterer.jpg

Renationalising Rail but not water or energy has been Labour’s policy since the middle of last year, why are we hearing about this again? Oh, and btw, it would be a great start if they were held to the standards they signed up to. 

Bottom line is, if you want a party with a policy to renationalise water then you’re going to have to vote for somebody else, and you’re going to have to do it in the knowledge that you’ll be making it harder for the party that will nationalise rail to win and easier for the party that won’t nationalise anything and will likely drive privatisation of the NHS. If water nationalisation is that important, and clean up and enforcement of rules and standards alone isn’t enough, don’t vote Labour. 

2 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Let's not talk about it, but if you fo hear of the massive dividends handed out to water ecx's just put your fingers in your ears.

It should definitely be nationalised, but given that Labour only need to sit back and let the Tories disintegrate, don't you at least acknowledge the good sense of keeping powder dry?

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It should definitely be nationalised, but given that Labour only need to sit back and let the Tories disintegrate, don't you at least acknowledge the good sense of keeping powder dry?

Not on renationalisation no. Its popular across the board. Its certainly not a vote loser, its almost certainly the opposite. We've got the highest bills in Europe whilst shareholders are creaming massive profits. Importantly its the right thing to do for the country as a whole. 

Also Labour haven't 'kept their powder dry' on other issues. They're being selective.

13 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Let's not talk about it, but if you do happen to hear of the massive dividends handed out to water ecx's just put your fingers in your ears.

Yeah, that’s what I said. There’s certainly no difference between Labour and their policy and a discussion about water executives. Good one. 

Good idea this. Jail the cunts. Also debunks Rayners/Labour's cowardly approach to the problem. Enforcement makes little difference in reality as the fines are paltry.

The solution is obvious and almost everyone in the country (including tory voters) understand it. The only people resisting are shareholders and politicians.  

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jul/14/jail-water-firm-bosses-over-appalling-pollution-says-environment-agency?s=09

Meanwhile 

20230214_094907.jpg

6 minutes ago, skend04 said:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/sadiq-khan-free-school-meals-evening-standard-campaign-b1061434.html

Well done to Sadiq for this, even if it's just for the year. Hopefully it'll shame the Tories into spending money in the right places rather than looting the coffers for themselves. I somehow doubt it though.

Virtue signalling twat 

• Upvote 1

I'm in two minds about universal free school meals and food banks to be honest. 

There's absolute poverty out there, no question, but speaking from experience and my Mrs's experience as a teacher, there are also people out there that'll take anything from anyone under any circumstances to the point where it becomes a bit of a bottomless pit. There's some real poverty at my Mrs's school but there's also plenty who'd let the school do everything for them if they could, literally they'd let the teachers come round their house and get the kids ready for them, drive them to and from as well. 

Lad I know was a councillor in Liverpool and he was telling me a few of the people  using his local foodbank were middle class, this was in 2017 before inflation and what not. They'd pay the mortgage first and then be broke. It sounds cold, but what I'd say there is get a smaller house. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I'm in two minds about universal free school meals and food banks to be honest. 

There's absolute poverty out there, no question, but speaking from experience and my Mrs's experience as a teacher, there are also people out there that'll take anything from anyone under any circumstances to the point where it becomes a bit of a bottomless pit. There's some real poverty at my Mrs's school but there's also plenty who'd let the school do everything for them if they could, literally they'd let the teachers come round their house and get the kids ready for them, drive them to and from as well. 

Lad I know was a councillor in Liverpool and he was telling me a few of the people  using his local foodbank were middle class, this was in 2017 before inflation and what not. They'd pay the mortgage first and then be broke. It sounds cold, but what I'd say there is get a smaller house. 

People take advantage of things all the time mate., If it's the difference between even one child getting a meal that day then I'm all for it. The scandal is that we need food banks not people using them. 

As for school meals, how much was siphoned and wasted during covid? Food in stomachs not money in tory donors back pockets. 

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

People take advantage of things all the time mate., If it's the difference between even one child getting a meal that day then I'm all for it. The scandal is that we need food banks not people using them. 

As for school meals, how much was siphoned and wasted during covid? Food in stomachs not money in tory donors back pockets. 

Yeah I completely agree with that. The country is so bent it's hard to see the wood for the trees. My Mrs's school also gets screwed over by a private maintenance company and school dinner firm - which reduced portion size and upped the prices. Country is fucked top to bottom, spiritually fucked - for want of a better term - because everyone is on the grab.

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah I completely agree with that. The country is so bent it's hard to see the wood for the trees. My Mrs's school also gets screwed over by a private maintenance company and school dinner firm - which reduced portion size and upped the prices. Country is fucked top to bottom, spiritually fucked - for want of a better term - because everyone is on the grab.

Yep and it's getting worse and worse by the day. Big big change is needed. 

Me and my mrs are involved with our local foodbank, there are all sorts of people that need them, some examples in no particular order

Energy crisis - bills they cant afford

Addictions

Missing partners

Mental illness

Abusive partners

Living hand to mouth and something happens such as a broken washing machine

Foodbank dependency - its part of their budgeting

Uneducated/learning difficulties

Laziness

Reduction in hours/laid off, no other jobs in the area

Zero hour contracts

Cant afford to get to work, petrol prices/car breaking down/no bus service

Cant get to supermarkets have to buy in local convenience shops

Of the all the different types that use the foodbank there are always going to be those that take the piss but I must say its a relatively small number. 

As I've said before, now they exist there will always be a need for foodbanks, regardless of who is in power. Any party that says they will get rid of them is living in cloud cuckoo land, the best that can happen is that the demand is reduced but even then it wont be significant and not for years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 14/02/2023 at 08:30, Section_31 said:

This is,unfortunately,a fair comment. All we can hope for is a 'change of mind' if elected. The Tories do it constantly but pay off their media chums to sugarcoat it or ignore it as much as possible. We are now in a permanent situation of electing tories or watered down tories. I hoped that after Blair it wouldn't be so, but it is what it is.