You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Worst Call by Referee

surikell

Mark Clattenburg on Old Trafford a few years back, against Tottenham. Disallowed goal.

Disagree on that one. I presume you mean Pedro Mendes' effort?

The ref and the lino were both exactly where they should have been and there was no way they could have known if the ball went in or not without the benefit of replays. It was a wrong decision, but you can see why it happened.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember in a Premiership games before, maybe years back where a penalty is given but noone touch the offensive player at all. He just slipped, fell and rewarded a penalty. Anyone remember?

That was Chelsea v's someone, IIRC.

It was that ginger twat they had playing centreback for them. Can't remember his name though. Pretty sure he was Scandanavian.

Twas a dive worse than a combined Drogba/Ronaldo effort, but the ref gave the spotter.

Can't remember who it was against either. Palace maybe?

• 3 years later...

Bump.

There was a thread on the FF on things you hate about football, but I can't find it so this thread will have to do. There is something that has annoyed me for a while now. An example of this poor refereeing nearly arose in the Argentina-Uruguay match last night. The circumstances were perfect for it so it was a surprise that it DIDN'T actually happen.

Uruguay's midfield enforcer Arevalo fouled his opponents time and time again without getting a yellow card from the ref. Some of the fouls certainly merited a card, particularly when he kept singling out Messi. Later in the match, Argentina subbed Gago off for Biglia, and within a couple of minutes, Biglia committed a foul (nothing malicious) on a Uruguayan in the centre circle. The ref went up to him and asked him to cut it out.

The surprise was that he didn't book him for his first foul, which is what normally happens. Too often a sub gets booked for his first offence (usually it is something that merits only a free kick) while players who have been hacking away from the start get away with it.

If a foul merits a card, dish out a card. In that case it wouldn't matter who committed the offence. It's just irritating that refs sometimes allow great leniency to those who started the match, yet immediate penalise subs within minutes.

As i've posted previously Lampards goal against Germany was a shocker, especially given the magnitude of the game. One thing that still amazes me to this day is England at the start of the second half. The referee will by this time have been aware of his absolute howler, all England had to do was to get a player tight to a German defender in the box and fall over, it would have been a 100% guaranteed peno; but they never did.

As i've posted previously Lampards goal against Germany was a shocker, especially given the magnitude of the game. One thing that still amazes me to this day is England at the start of the second half. The referee will by this time have been aware of his absolute howler, all England had to do was to get a player tight to a German defender in the box and fall over, it would have been a 100% guaranteed peno; but they never did.

They did, several times........the problem was they all occurred in our penalty area.

Guest davelfc
[YOUTUBE]d7sNO92GPuQ&feature[/YOUTUBE]

Still don't understand this. I know it was the linesman who gave the decision but still unbelievable

Happened right in front of me, I was apoplectic.

Nothing done afterwards either which is unreal. Still annoys me, in fact I'm off to hit something.

LFC-wise, the worst decision has to be Riley v Chelsea. No matter what angle you watch that handball from, even his, it's a clear pen. Carragher didn't take it too well, telling us the ref attempted to address the injustice by giving us free-kicks that should have been theirs.

Carragher later scored an own goal and we lost the game, thanks to the ref's utter incompetence.

Guest davelfc
The blatant handball in a recent women's world cup game that went unpunished takes some beating

I don't think pretend football counts.

my favourite piece of terrible refereeing was the penalty that was awarded against us in the uefa cup against Roma, only to be turned into a corner.

I cant remember if it was a fould or not, but the decision was made and then he simply pretended he hadnt and that he'd called a corner all along. He blew his whistle and pointed to the spot long before the ball went out of play.

Had they got that penalty, i'm convinced we'd have lost that tie.

i enjoyed it.

Clive Thomas in the world cup. Brazil shot and the ball was 0.01 seconds away from hitting the net and he whistled for full time and disallowed the goal. Amazing.

if you've seen that goal, thomas tells nerlinho to take the corner on about 6 occasions over 3-4 minutes, and when he finally puts it over he blew just before zico headed home, the game finished 1-1

i remember a similar incident happening to us in 94, ruddock took ages to take a freekick just outside the area in the last minute against sheff utd, so the ref just blew while he was in his run, sorry, jog up

my personal hated desicion was in the 07 athens, when that fat german blew the final whistle with 40 odd seconds remaining and milan all over the place

i think thats when the rule was change to a minimum injury time to suit the mancs

As a ref one I really hated was the liner saying Reina was outside the box V Bolton and them scoring from the free kick. Awful for several reasons

1) Most importantly he was not outside the box!! - or anywhere near!! - it left his hand 2 foot inside the box and his foot connected just outside the box which is presumably what he saw - muppet!!

2) The liner was not positioned right to give it - being about five yards outside the box.

3) Refs will always tell liners 'Show a bit of leeway with keepers and kicks out of their hands - if he's coming close to the edge of the box have a word with the left back to warn him - do NOT put your flag up and give it' which is exactly what our friend the liner did!! (I honestly cannot ever remember such a decision in the PL before or since)

I know which one you were on about....but if i remember a week or so before, he was highlighted on MOTD and they said that Pepe was out of his area. O and behold next game (and live on TV if i remember) Pepe pulled up over it.

my favourite piece of terrible refereeing was the penalty that was awarded against us in the uefa cup against Roma, only to be turned into a corner.

I cant remember if it was a fould or not, but the decision was made and then he simply pretended he hadnt and that he'd called a corner all along. He blew his whistle and pointed to the spot long before the ball went out of play.

Had they got that penalty, i'm convinced we'd have lost that tie.

i enjoyed it.

That was payback for 1994, when the ref gave us a pen against the mancs at their kip, then consulted with his lino and gave a free out instead. Because of that, we lost. :telloff: