You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should it be captains only?

Lofts

The events of the last seven days have stirred the debate as to whether talking to officials should be restricted to captains.

Javier Mascherano's dismissal against Man Utd for alleged dissent followed angry scenes at White Hart Lane last week involving Ashley Cole and a number of other Chelsea players.

Now some are calling for a 'captains only' rule to be introduced – but what do you think?

Now some are calling for a 'captains only' rule to be introduced – but what do you think?

I've no problem with that, but it has to be properly explained and introduced - making a unilateral decision like that cock Bennett did is unacceptable. He's been on a major Liverpool downer ever since he was punching the air when he allowed an advantage for us (against Leeds, years back, I think). It's as if he has a point to prove.

In fact, I haven't got a problem with players being shown a red for telling the ref to fuck off. But it has to be consistently applied and include everyone - not just us.

I've no problem with that, but it has to be properly explained and introduced - making a unilateral decision like that cock Bennett did is unacceptable. He's been on a major Liverpool downer ever since he was punching the air when he allowed an advantage for us (against Leeds, years back, I think). It's as if he has a point to prove.

In fact, I haven't got a problem with players being shown a red for telling the ref to fuck off. But it has to be consistently applied and include everyone - not just us.

I don't mean to come across as a know all but that was Mike Reed who punched the air v Leeds. Sorry.

I'd like to see this come in. We all want consistency, but when 22 players can have their say, consistency will be elusive. I don't think for one minute we'll see an end to refereeing mistakes, but it will hopefully enable better communication on the pitch, as the ref will only be dealing with two players on that score.

I'd also like to see punishment come in for managers who comment about referees in public in the days leading up to the game. If managers have anything to say it should be done privately and through the right channels. Commenting in the media only adds to the vast pressure that is already on referees.

I'd like to see this come in. We all want consistency, but when 22 players can have their say, consistency will be elusive. I don't think for one minute we'll see an end to refereeing mistakes, but it will hopefully enable better communication on the pitch, as the ref will only be dealing with two players on that score.

I'd also like to see punishment come in for managers who comment about referees in public in the days leading up to the game. If managers have anything to say it should be done privately and through the right channels. Commenting in the media only adds to the vast pressure that is already on referees.

totally agree with this, mouriho was very good at this aswell, doesnt help the refs one bit and can make the difference in big games

Correct - and that man for me is Mascherano.

yes because he has respect among the corrupt referees right? He got booked for mouthing off against the scum last year also you know. And he also speaks proper English?

Masch is ace, but having him speak to the ref would only harm us

I don't mean to come across as a know all but that was Mike Reed who punched the air v Leeds. Sorry.

Bollocks. They all look the same to me.

If it is introduced then we need a new captain.

True. And I nominate Xabi Alonso. He's a true gentleman who doesn't go off at the refs in a maner that can get him in trouble. He's also a hard working professional who always is a good example to follow for other players.

No player should be allowed to question the referees decision. I've never known one to change his decision so what's the point in questioning it? The referee should make the decision and state what the decision was based on - "hand ball...offside...shirt pulling etc", maybe over a PA system to let the crowd know.

Then they all get on with the game.

If we start taking on the ideas of Rugby then we should also be able to punch, bite, stamp and gouge the cunt Ronaldo without punishment.

Spot on in the sense that I'm fucking sick of this fucking love in with Rugby Union. RU players are more disciplined. Are they fuck that whole fucking sport is one of the most snidiest ill disciplined fucking shite I've ever had the misfortune to be involved in, what they don't take out on the ref they take out on each other.

The two New Zealand thugs including the captain almost killed Brian O'Driscoll and the ref lets them get away with it and the authorities let them off with a fine fucking despicable.