You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

I recently watched three classics that I'd never seen before.

Paris, Texas

Dull as fuck.  Nothing happens and takes about a million hours to do it.

The Wizard of Oz

Never seen it, but almost every scene is familiar from having been referenced in so many other places.  Most of the characters are fucking annoying, but Judy Garland clearly had "it" (whatever "it" is that separates the greats from the rest - see also, Marilyn Monroe in Bus Stop).  When the film ends, Toto still has a death sentence hanging over him thanks to the meddlesome ratbag down the road.

Blood Simple

Absolutely superb early Coen Brothers noir-ish masterpiece. I like films that acknowledge that killing people isn't as straightforward as it appears in most films.  Who knew that Frances McDormand was a bit of a fox? 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I recently watched three classics that I'd never seen before.

Paris, Texas

Dull as fuck.  Nothing happens and takes about a million hours to do it.

The Wizard of Oz

Never seen it, but almost every scene is familiar from having been referenced in so many other places.  Most of the characters are fucking annoying, but Judy Garland clearly had "it" (whatever "it" is that separates the greats from the rest - see also, Marilyn Monroe in Bus Stop).  When the film ends, Toto still has a death sentence hanging over him thanks to the meddlesome ratbag down the road.

Blood Simple

Absolutely superb early Coen Brothers noir-ish masterpiece. I like films that acknowledge that killing people isn't as straightforward as it appears in most films.  Who knew that Frances McDormand was a bit of a fox? 

Can't agree with you about Paris, Texas mate, I think it's a phenomenal film.

Harry Dean Stanton is towering and mesmeric, the score from Ry Cooder just flipping brilliant, and the fade in during HDS's I knew these people monologue, just brings a tear to the eye every time.

On 29/05/2023 at 20:25, Curly said:

I’m halfway through an independent scouse film on Netflix called Shooter. I’ve definitely seen it before and thought it was shite, but enjoying it this time.

Is this the one Simon Green was in?

'Where's me 3 an a half hundred quid?'

Legitimate classic film.

The Covenant 5/10. 

Your typical Afghan/Irag war film, with the second half trying to tell the story of all the interpreters who were left behind after America pulled out. May have been a better film if the interpreter had been left to die at the hands of the Taliban, rather than to be rescued by one U.S solider, with the help of a firm of private contractors and an AC 130

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Snowden. 7.5/10

Very good cast. Absolutely love Shailene Woodley. Very slick. 

jgl_shailene_stone_cropped.jpg

shailene-woodley-joseph-gordon-levitt-sn

Excellent film and Shailene is fine as fuck but I blame this movie  (& probably Facebook although I'm not on it) for the stupid and utterly ridiculous trait of people covering the webcams on their laptops with all manner of items

7 hours ago, George Costanza said:

Excellent film and Shailene is fine as fuck but I blame this movie  (& probably Facebook although I'm not on it) for the stupid and utterly ridiculous trait of people covering the webcams on their laptops with all manner of items

I put black electrical tape over mine. I should have removed it when Dave took down the 'Titty City' thread though.

• Upvote 1

Nitram 

An Australian film based around the Port Arthur massacre in Tasmania in 1986.

I say that, but it’s not really. Not much happens in it regarding the actual massacre with the film instead mainly focussing on the perpetrators struggles with a behavioural disorder, mental health issues, his deteriorating relationship with his family and events in his personal life that brought about the gradual decline in his mental state that pushed him over the edge and led to him going on a violent killing spree. 

Not much action in the film, but it’s a distressing yet captivating insight into the complete collapse of an individual who was already viewed as “the local oddball.” 

The lead character, Martin (Nitram - the film’s title - is Martin backwards) Bryant is brilliantly played by Caleb Landry Jones, who was the weird brother in Get Out and also played an eccentric character in 3 Billboards etc etc. 

A really good film. 

8/10

43 minutes ago, Nelly-Matip said:

Nitram 

An Australian film based around the Port Arthur massacre in Tasmania in 1986.

I say that, but it’s not really. Not much happens in it regarding the actual massacre with the film instead mainly focussing on the perpetrators struggles with a behavioural disorder, mental health issues, his deteriorating relationship with his family and events in his personal life that brought about the gradual decline in his mental state that pushed him over the edge and led to him going on a violent killing spree. 

Not much action in the film, but it’s a distressing yet captivating insight into the complete collapse of an individual who was already viewed as “the local oddball.” 

The lead character, Martin (Nitram - the film’s title - is Martin backwards) Bryant is brilliantly played by Caleb Landry Jones, who was the weird brother in Get Out and also played an eccentric character in 3 Billboards etc etc. 

A really good film. 

8/10

Jesus I don't think I'd ever even heard of that massacre. Just read about it now, grim as fuck especially the execution of the mum and two little girls on the road. Cunt. What's that on? 

Port Arthur massacre (Australia) - Wikipedia

34 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Jesus I don't think I'd ever even heard of that massacre. Just read about it now, grim as fuck especially the execution of the mum and two little girls on the road. Cunt. What's that on? 

Port Arthur massacre (Australia) - Wikipedia

Not sure. It just mysteriously appeared on my tablet!*

* Tea TV app

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Dragged across Concrete, Vince Vaughan, Mel Gibson, two down on their luck cops looking for an easy way out, gratuitous violence and kept my attention through out, 7.5/10 would definitely recommend.

Funnily enough, watched that the other night.

As you say, definitely recommend it. Dark humor as well. 

• Upvote 1

Fast X - 6/10. Nothing new. Simply a set up for the final film which is next. The one saving grace being Jason Mania’s villain, Dante. A flamboyant nut job with a penchant for psychedelic colours, Mamoa embraces the silliness of it all, hamming it up, and clearly having as much fun as he can have while being paid for it.

Indiana Jones 4 - Crystal Skulls

Given how disgusted I was after initially seeing it, I think this is the first time I’ve seen it since I went to the cinema, second tops.

It’s not as bad as I remember. 

Although the plot is pretty weak throughout, the first hour of the film is actually fine. It’s the second hour where wheels come off. The action just becomes nonsensical and the ending obviously leaves something to be desired. 

Annoyingly, I think this film could have been salvaged. Re-edit / cut some of the dafter bits of the action (Lebeef swinging through trees / sword fight / getting hit in the bollocks with plants, the waterfall, actually make John Hurts character have some point to him, change the ending) and although not a classic like earlier instalments, there is a perfectly watchable, solid film in there. 

Murder Ahoy

Miss Marple investigates the murder of a sailor on board a navy training boat she’s a trustee of and I swear I haven’t seen a funnier film in years.  

The interplay between the cast is superb, especially between Marple and the chief inspector however the great Lionel Jeffries steals the show as the put upon ships captain.

Found this by accident scrolling through the channels and I can’t recommend this highly enough. Some great laugh out loud moments with that classic old British movie charm that’s sadly disappeared now with modern greed.

Anyway, I digress

9/10 - brilliant 

• Upvote 3

Hangman - 1/10. 2017 ‘thriller’ in which two cops, Karl Urban and Al Pacino (who appears to be drunk on set in most scenes), chase down the shittest serial killer ever, who is basing his kills on the game of hangman. There’s 1hr 40m of my life I’m not getting back. In fact, as the film was ongoing I was writing a better ending in my head.

M-DIO-RE.

On 19/06/2020 at 06:52, Paul said:

Cop Land - 7.5/10. Great cast, decent police corruption thriller. 

Watched this again last night. Very good cast, could have been a lot better IMO. Still good, 7 is about right. Weird role for Stallone to play but he manages to play a bit of a wimp quite well. Liotta is very good in it and he looks like he just picked right back up on the his character in the last half of Goodfellas, he looks fucked. That tache on De Niro...... 

• Upvote 2

The Flash - 7.8/10

In a world of regurgitated superhero movies, this felt fresh, plus it has Michael Keaton returning as Batman (which is as cool as fuck). They did the time travel stuff very well and Ezra Miller is great in it, shame he's an absolute nutcase in real life as he's very talented. 

• Upvote 1

The Flash - don't know how to rate it, it was like an extended Saturday Night Live sketch that leaned heavily on member berries and shit cameos to drag us through a shit show of a story that has already been written, lauded and executed better.

Shockingly bad CGI in places weird set pieces (that fucking hospital scene) and jokes that would have been acceptable if Ezra Millar hadn't have had the couple of years he's had, they probably should have been edited out.

They still insist on visualising speed in slow motion, I know a lot of people don't like The Eternals but it's still one of the best depictions of super speed we've seen and how it should be done.

Kara and Keaton were the best part of the film.

On 05/06/2023 at 00:49, Carvalho Diablo said:

Can't agree with you about Paris, Texas mate, I think it's a phenomenal film.

Harry Dean Stanton is towering and mesmeric, the score from Ry Cooder just flipping brilliant, and the fade in during HDS's I knew these people monologue, just brings a tear to the eye every time.

I loved it when it came out and have seen it several times since and every time I watch it I find more flaws in it, to the point that I now find it infuriating and cannot believe I fell for it in my youth. And falling for it may be an understataemen, it was one of the most importanf films of that era for me on a deeply personal level. 

All those scenery, desert, motels, and Sam Shepard's typical mystique of love set to Ry Cooder's wonderful otherworldly music serves to hide the fact the story makes little sense, characters and their actions only serve as vehicles for Shepard's awful, pretentious "poetic" dialogue (see Altman's Fool For Love for proof it's all phony bullshit), whilst Wenders is just happy as a pig in muck creating srupendous imagery - shooting his beloved Americana (with his usual motif of longing / looking for a lost child).

And the casting is insane, who buys Nastassja Kinski as a peep show dancer in some Texas shithole (and this entire uber-sanitized scene, yeah right, that is how her job would have looked like), or Harry Dean Stanton and Kinsski as lovers.

It's now like finding your highschool poetry, cringing.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1