You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Racism in Southern America..

Stouffer

He writes and speaks like a weird six year old.

If he hadn't inherited all that cash he'd definitely have been in one of those Daily Sport style news stories where some village idiot electrocutes themselves or eats something poisonous in the woods.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, A Red said:

I'm getting a hint that from this and earlier that you think positive discrimination is the answer.

No.  "Positive discrimination" would still be discrimination. 

It depends on the specific circumstances, but things like looking at where and how you advertise jobs; checking whether your "essential criteria" really are essential; doing some research with people from the under-represented minorities to find out why they're not applying; etc, would be useful. 

14 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I agree with that but one of the problems with stuff like this is that it provides ammo to people who want to derail the discussion.

You get an issue, an image of a white copper choking a black man. And everyone who's not a cunt, right around the world, says "that's fucking not on, something needs to change, people need to be brought to justice, discussions need to be had." And I think that was genuinely happening.

But what you'll get now is the Ian Dales, the Nick Ferrerris and all those other cunts getting column inches out of stuff like this. It distracts from the debate and gives shitbirds inroads in which to cultivate sympathy for an 'alternative' view.

Also, it just smacks once again of the classic 'simple solutions to complex problems'. Just like building walls and banging pots and pans.

Let's have a real debate about the fact the prime minister called people picanninies with watermelon smiles, or that prince Philip has got a list of racist outrages as long as my arm, or the fact the ancestral wealth of some in the house of lords who stood in silence for george floyd was actually probably built on slavery. Let's look at the fact we tolerate outrageous columns and radio shows from people like farage and hopkins. Let's look at how we can expand things like stop funding hate, where we can hit the likes of the Daily Mail in the pocket.

There are always all sorts of things muddying the waters around this subject that right wing trolls will pick up and run with, but blackface isn’t a borderline issue. It’s a clear cut case of historically rooted racial discrimination and shouldn’t be tolerated, any more than statues of slave traders in public spaces should be. If any hacks try to argue that pulling Little Britain is PC gone too far, ask them if they’re ok with hook-nosed Jewish moneylenders being played on TV for a laugh.

You want to have a debate about tackling all the egregious cases of racism you’ve listed - good, then let’s include blackface in with them, because it’s a prime example of how white people dehumanised black people and made it socially acceptable to oppress them.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Aw Geez said:

I don't see how dressing up as you favourite movie character would be more offensive if you darkened your skin rather than wearing a wig or a fat suit etc. Physical characteristics. Again, historical context could trigger people but just the dressing up by itself, I'm not sure what part is offensive.

I'm not saying people aren't allowed to be, i'd like someone to explain it to me tbh.

If it’s obviously for fancy dress as a particular character, done in good faith as opposed to taking the piss, then I’m sure there are plenty of BAME people who would be ok with it. But if you do it in public there’s the possibility that you’ll come into contact with BAME people who are offended by it in any circumstance whatsoever, because its historical connotations are so nasty, and because they, their family or their friends will at some point have been subjected to abuse because of the colour of their skin.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

We have and continue to do so. I've been branded everything associated with the stereotype, Ive had the finger pointed at me in the past simply because of my background, its part and parcel of life. I don't like it but You cannot change how people feel about others, its an illusion.

Every culture has those who despise other cultures. What i don't understand here is the revisionism. Is this going to teach us? Will this make us better? No of course not, what it will do is divide things further though.

I saw the Athletic, straight off the back of this political bomb, advertise opportunities for BAME applicants only. I mean is this helpful? Does this make it an achievement that those of a different skin colour have to be given special treatment in order to progress? Reverse racism is still racism. Stopping other of different skin colour (yes thats skin colour) whether you are hindu, white, asian from applying for a job is still discrimination. And what does that say about the Athletic? Where they inherently racist before this?

Still no one gets it do they? Because most of the time people are thinking reactively rather than sensibly. I watched some of the George Floyd funeral. I would have had more respect for them had they done it in a quiet, private manner. But they made a spectacle of it, invited celebs and politicians and put it on TV, they made the man, who had a criminal history, a saint in the eyes of the world. Yes, no one should die the way he did and the police will be punished to the full extent of the law, but again, we are back to the bending of the truth to suit narratives. Meanwhile everyone ignores other people who lost their lives in this matter in the last few weeks.

People like Keir Starmer do stuff like 'bend the knee' and post it on twitter. What is this pandering? This just gives those protesters the thumbs up they want.

We've been lying to each other for so long through social media and the mass media about stuff we don't fully understand and about things that are inherent and can't be changed that we no longer know what the truth is. The whole thing is f**cked.

Mate, nothing you’ve experienced as a Scouser will come anywhere near the level of oppression that black people suffered for centuries. That’s why I posed the thought experiment of anti-Scouse prejudice being worse than it is, but even that doesn’t come close. If you really want an accurate parallel you’d have to imagine the city of Liverpool being occupied by Southerners and stripped of its wealth, thousands of Scousers being forcibly shipped to the Home Counties to be worked to death picking vegetables, followed by a century of being denied the vote, denied the right to move freely in public, and being routinely subjected to beatings and killings without the authorities lifting a finger to help you. If you’d been through all that then I doubt you’d be quite so stoical about anti-Scouse “humour” from the rest of the country.

Saying “people are cunts to each other, that’s just how it is and we all have to live it” is a shit way to organise a society. Everything we value in our society, all the freedoms and privileges we enjoy, have come about from people deciding that we don’t have to put up with people being cunts to each other. Of course you can change how people feel about others who are different, look at how attitudes and behaviours have changed even in our own lifetime. 

I’m not going to get into the debate about structural racial inequality in the UK job market, but in the specific case of media organisations, BAME exclusive recruitment is about more than just giving a hand up to disadvantaged groups. When it’s done properly it serves to bring a different perspective to the organisation and ensure it represents a section of society that isn’t always heard from. It’s not just BAME voices that are excluded from the media, it’s working class, disabled and other marginalised people as well. The same applies to organisations like the police which are supposed to represent and engage with the whole of society. BAME candidates can bring advantages to the role that no white person can. 

As for the rest of your post, you seem to be getting more angry about people’s reactions to racist killings than about the racist killings themselves. I’m assuming you think the killings are the bigger problem, which suggests to me that this leads back to your pessimism about people ever being able to change things. I’m not going to pretend that it’s easy, but from where I’m standing it’s better than complaining about how fucked up everything is and then pulling down every effort to try and make things a bit better.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Grinch said:

Meet Brandon Tatum
Brandon Tatum is a former Tucson Police Officer and served as the Director of Urban Outreach at Turning Point USA. He is the Founder and CEO of The Officer Tatum, LLC.

His open letter :

“Woke” white people, I’d like to ask you a favor:

Please stop asking for forgiveness for your “white privilege.”

You’re not fooling anybody. You’re not helping black people—or any other minority. And your public confessions don’t make you look virtuous. They make you look disingenuous, which is a really nice way of saying fake, phony, and fraudulent.

For starters, what is “white privilege” anyway? Because you were born with white skin, you have all these advantages that I don’t have?

Like what?

Like, you can get a mortgage loan that I can’t get?

Hmm. I got a loan—at a great rate, by the way—and I got the house. Why would a banker not give a loan to someone who met the loan requirements? He doesn’t want to make money? I’ve never heard of such a banker.

Or, how about this: You can enter a store and not be looked upon with suspicion, but I—a black person—cannot. Except...that has never happened to me.

But if I was a young dude with my pants hanging down to my butt, I could understand why a store owner would be concerned. I used to be a cop. Believe me, I understand. If I owned the store, I’d be tracking that kid, too—whether he was black, white, or anything else.

Or, what if I had a store that had a history of being shoplifted by young black women, and a young black woman with a bad attitude walked in. Would I be suspicious? Yeah, I would. Who wouldn’t?

I call that common sense, not bigotry.

But there’s another way of looking at this: In many ways, in today’s America, blacks have more privilege than whites. It’s been my experience that whites bend over backwards to give blacks every possible advantage.

If two people are equally qualified for a job, the black person will usually get it. Big companies and prestigious universities fall all over one another trying to sign up talented black people.

If you deny this, you are denying reality.

Which is what the person who dreamed up this whole thing did—a professor of women’s studies at Wellesley College by the name of Peggy McIntosh. She wrote an article in 1988 about all the “white privilege” she thought she had. She listed 46, including this one: “I can choose…bandages in ‘flesh’ color and have them more or less match my skin.” Wow, that’s some kind of privilege!

Soon others took up the cause.

Today, these so-called progressives dominate our colleges and universities, imposing this absurd notion of white privilege on their students. That’s too bad. Because it does nothing good for white students. And it does nothing good for black students. But of the two, ironically, the white students get the better of the deal.

Let me explain:

To acknowledge your white privilege is supposed to make you feel bad. Only it doesn’t. It makes you feel good because by acknowledging your white privilege, you’re declaring yourself to be enlightened. And as a virtue-bonus, it also makes you a better person than those whites who don’t acknowledge their privilege.

White privilege, which is supposed to make you feel bad, ends up making you feel good. Meanwhile, the real damage is to blacks. What makes whites feel good makes blacks angry.

More than 50 years after the start of the Civil Rights movement, the message is: “You’re still oppressed.” How can this not create a victim mentality? And anyone—of any color—who sees himself as a victim gets angry.

Now, I wouldn’t deny for a second that there are privileges in life. They’re all over the place. There’s two-parent family privilege (that’s huge); there’s being lucky to be born in America privilege; there’s good gene privilege. But white privilege? Doesn’t it depend on the person?

Let’s take this, for example: A black lawyer and his wife have a baby. And a meth addict, single white woman has a baby. Which kid has privilege? The white one? Because he’s white?

Come on now.

And here’s the kicker: Even if it were true—all those claims about white privilege, so what? Would it change a single thing I did? If white people apologize for being white, is that supposed to help me? In what way?

So, let’s be real: White privilege is an attempt by the left to divide Americans by race.

It’s all theory and all nonsense. If you want to fall for it, go ahead—it’s a free country. But don’t try to sell it to me.

I’m an American who deals with my fellow Americans one-on-one.

Try it. It works.

Thank you Brandon Tatum of Prager University A lot of people who need to hear this , but you sheeple can go do something else

Yes yes, very good. 

Just because a conservative black man co-opted by a batshit right-wing lobby group has a problem with the way some white people talk about the phenomenon, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

10 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Do you also have an objection to terms like cretin, moron and idiot? Like spaz, mong, retard etc they originally referred to people with certain developmental disabilities. I find it interesting that few people seem to realise that, and that even fewer care. This is generally why I'm not in favour of policing language like this.

Not so much, no, for precisely the reason you state: that most people aren’t aware of their origins, and thus they cause less hurt and offence. I’ve seen people call out moron/moronic as ableist a few times elsewhere on social media but that’s about it.

By contrast, in the period when I started posting here, the kind of words I referred to that were jokingly bandied around were understood by everybody to be common contemporary terms of abuse. It’s seemed to correct itself organically without people needing to police it, which is a good thing, but if it ever makes a comeback then it would be entirely right to stamp on it, just as this forum has generally done with racist language for as long as I’ve been on here.

10 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Apparently the prices of Little Britain DVDs on eBay have gone through the roof. There’s always money to be made. 

Don’t panic.  eBay have now said Little Britain and Come Fly with Me are now on the banned list and can’t be sold on their platform. 

8 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Don’t panic.  eBay have now said Little Britain and Come Fly with Me are now on the banned list and can’t be sold on their platform. 

No way, you're taking the piss surely? Are they still selling Chubby Brown DVD' s? Surely the likes of him would have to be banned too?

12 minutes ago, Aw Geez said:

Negged

Least the man is talking common sense.   A lot more than lets give jobs to coloured folk/women/trans when they're not the best person for the job.  This won't in any way cause friction to continue, no siree.

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Least the man is talking common sense.   A lot more than lets give jobs to coloured folk/women/trans when they're not the best person for the job.  This won't in any way cause friction to continue, no siree.

Its definitely not sensible to take one mans simple perspective on a hugely complex problem.

10 minutes ago, Grinch said:

So by the same token, you need to change your Free Palestine avatar because they aren't oppressed by anyone except themselves.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1