You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Racism in Southern America..

Stouffer

38 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Doesn’t that just mean show that they don’t break the law? 

It's more than that.

It's not enough just to not be actively racist, it's about recognising that we go about our business in a racist society and we can either take steps to change that or we can inadvertently perpetuate it.  For example, an organisation which employs disproportionately few people from ethnic minorities might say (quite honestly) that they don't get many applications from people from those backgrounds.  What should happen (and what - in theory - public sector organisations have a duty to do) is they should then try to find out why they aren't getting the applications and try to do something to change that.

• Upvote 1

Is the "black voice " still OK? I am going through Harry Bosch novels on audio books, there are quite a few black characters and narrators are routinely doing the accents, including the black voice. I remember there was a big row at the Daily Show with Jon Stewart and Wyatt Cenac at the time, when Stewart was doing the accents and the black voice in his monologue and Cenac told him it was wrong, man, so wrong.

Will the audio books have to be rerecorded now?

Just now, SasaS said:

Is the "black voice " still OK? I am going through Harry Bosch novels on audio books, there are quite a few black characters and narrators are routinely doing the accents, including the black voice. I remember there was a big row at the Daily Show with Jon Stewart and Wyatt Cenac at the time, when Stewart was doing the accents and the black voice in his monologue and Cenac told him it was wrong, man, so wrong.

Will the audio books have to be rerecorded now?

It was acceptable when I played a golliwog in the school Christmas play in Runcorn in 1977, so I don't see why not.

6 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It's more than that.

It's not enough just to not be actively racist, it's about recognising that we go about our business in a racist society and we can either take steps to change that or we can inadvertently perpetuate it.  For example, an organisation which employs disproportionately few people from ethnic minorities might say (quite honestly) that they don't get many applications from people from those backgrounds.  What should happen (and what - in theory - public sector organisations have a duty to do) is they should then try to find out why they aren't getting the applications and try to do something to change that.

I'm getting a hint that from this and earlier that you think positive discrimination is the answer.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, SasaS said:

Reluctant to chip in on this, but, here I go anyway: there is something I've noticed about these statistics in the UK, they seldom compare and explain difference in situation between various BAME groups, for example, last numbers for deaths in police custody I've seen claim that police kill "statistically correct" number of white people, but Asians are under represented and black people are over represented. Could it be that the society is more racist toward black people than Asians, or does regional composition also play the part? Most black people tend to live in London and other big urban areas for example, where you would expect more crime. Also, are there differences between communities, self-regulating and stuff like that? 

Unlike with black people in the US, most BAME and black people in the UK tend to be first to at best third generation immigrants, you would expect this would also play a part , since immigrants usually start at the bottom, taking jobs native population is mostly no longer interested in. Non-British whites tend to do better, but I suspect this is only true at the upper part of the scale, with highly educated EU and other immigrants competing for high income jobs, I doubt that the lower part where low paying jobs are more prevalent things are considerable different than with Asians or African/Caribbean groups.

The socioeconomic explanation means that they, ethnic minorities, or people, are more likely to have suffered systemic inequality and persecution, from pretty much every available channel throughout their lives meaning that the are effectively trapped in the transgressive hinterland of extreme want and very few effective channels of escape from this.

Like being told it’s your fault for being poor and that, in fact you’re the reason ‘decent’ people look down on you for being poor and ‘we’ won’t help you and if you disagree you’re wrong and will be punished. A literal unseen bind. 

I hope we’re at a good point in history where the ridiculous social construct of race can finally be addressed properly.

45 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

One of the best anti-racist films ever.

If anyone still sells DVDs, they probably sell that.

Rising Damp, Love Thy Neighbour and Till Death Us Do Part could be deemed anti racist  given that they were lampooning the racist. I don’t imagine programmes such as those willl be aired much longer, obviously Love Thy Neighbour has long since disappeared. I don’t imagine The Office will survive either. The League of Gentlemen is dead in the water.

28 minutes ago, A Red said:

I'm getting a hint that from this and earlier that you think positive discrimination is the answer.

The natural question is ‘would you be happy losing your job to positive discrimination?’  AOT is absolutely not a racist, so why should he lose out? 

I never thought of Papa Lazarou as being blackface, so to speak. Was it implied he was black? I always just had him down as a fucked up clown character. Will regulations be brought in outlawing certain ways clowns can look? What about kids face paints?

Look at this little cunt pushing the boundaries of what is acceptable. 

b24b4e9e96f27595d9d8268fdabcc6a4.jpg

4 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Is that the woman in your office, Mook?

There's nobody that ridiculous at my work that I'm aware of.

I see people like that on the internet & often wonder where they come from, imagine you knew her?

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

Rising Damp, Love Thy Neighbour and Till Death Us Do Part could be deemed anti racist  given that they were lampooning the racist. I don’t imagine programmes such as those willl be aired much longer, obviously Love Thy Neighbour has long since disappeared. I don’t imagine The Office will survive either. The League of Gentlemen is dead in the water.

The League of Gentlemen has just been removed from Netflix. 

7 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Slave Labour was used during WWII. The economy had already been saved from how bad it was in the 20's. 

The double standards come from saying its ok for someone responsible for mass murder to have a statue but not someone else responsible for mass murder. Coming from a Netanyahu fan-boy though I'm not surprised in the slightest. You also advocated the Thatcher statue so if ever anything summed one person up.... Vile. 

I'm pretty sure the German economy was still in dire straits in 1933 when Hitler was trying to complete his rise to power. It would probably have been on the road to some kind of recovery late 1930s (that's assuming Hitler had the intention of continuing to pay the debts of reparations, which I would have thought was unlikely).

Other than that, I'm staying out of it.

5 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The link through all of them is that black people are more likely to live in shitty socio-economic conditions.  Why is that?

The obvious, glaring, screaming conclusion is that this country is fundamentally, structurally, systematically racist.  It would be perverse to deny it.

I'm trying to see if there is a way of disagreeing with this. I'm finding it pretty hard.