You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

what does that mean Mr Jol?

Bob

havent seen it posted elsewhere, but apologies if it is...

on BBC sport there is a bit about Jol talking down their 'crisis' having met with Daniel Levy, and one of his quotes is this...

"If we have a meeting it's for him to encourage me and say he's behind me," Jol told BBC Radio 5live.

"We're in the same boat. We're not the same as clubs like Liverpool, we are Spurs. With our philosophy, method and resources, we will build a great team."

what on earth does he mean by that?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

havent seen it posted elsewhere, but apologies if it is...

on BBC sport there is a bit about Jol talking down their 'crisis' having met with Daniel Levy, and one of his quotes is this...

what on earth does he mean by that?

Liverpool win things, Spurs don't. At least I hope that's what he means!

Talking of bollocks,

Ferguson demands protection for 'victim' Ronaldo

'It's very difficult to completely punish Ronaldo or be angry with him'

Staff and agencies

Friday August 17, 2007

Guardian Unlimited

Sir Alex Ferguson has called on referees to provide greater protection for Cristiano Ronaldo in order to prevent the Manchester United winger from sustaining serious injury.

Ronaldo was sent off for violent conduct during his side's 1-1 draw at Portsmouth on Wednesday night after aiming a headbutt at Richard Hughes, but Ferguson believes his player was provoked by a series of heavy challenges that went unpunished by the referee Steve Bennett.

"My fear is, and I don't whether there is a directive, but maybe referees are a bit more tolerant of the physical contact," he said. "I've noticed this in the last few months - late challenges are going unpunished. I thought these things were black and white: late challenges are not allowed.

"We saw it again on Wednesday night, the referee letting it go unpunished time and time again. If you have got weak referees then you are going to be suffering. There is a concern players like Ronaldo are going to be the victims ... because it will end up with someone getting a serious injury."

Although Ferguson accepts that his player deserved to get his marching orders, he was surprisingly sympathetic. "It's very difficult to completely punish Ronaldo or be angry with him," he said. "Some of the things that are happening to him are not right."

Ronaldo will miss Sunday's derby at Manchester City through suspension and the champions with be further weakened in attack without injured pair Wayne Rooney and Louis Saha. Ferguson was impressed with Carlos Tevez's debut at Portsmouth and could partner him with Ryan Giggs as United look for their first win of the season. After opening with two draws they already trail Chelsea and Manchester City, who have taken maximum points under new manager Sven-Goran Eriksson, by four points.

"We are dropping points and that's frustrating because the performance levels were very good," Ferguson added. "The important thing is just to be patient now. The players will come right. It's frustrating, but it's recoverable of course."

Didn't someone get sent off against United on Wednesday for two late challenges? Does Ferguson want to be playing against 8 men every game?

Two games in, twice he has played against 10 men. Stop whinging for fucks sake.

As for Jol, I've got no idea what he's whittering on about. Why mention other teams unless you have been asked directly about them?

Ferguson is just doing what Moyes did over the Andy Johnson dives last year. He is trying to make referees think that perhaps they really do owe Man Utd a penalty, and maybe Ronaldo was provoked and shouldn't have been sent off. If he can put that little shadow of doubt in the referee's mind, chances are next time the ref will be lenient with the mancs or give them soft penalties etc.

Mourinho has mastered the same art for years.

Didn't someone get sent off against United on Wednesday for two late challenges? Does Ferguson want to be playing against 8 men every game?

Two games in, twice he has had played against 10 men. Stop whinging for fucks sake.

As for Jol, I've got no idea what he's whittering on about. Why mention other teams unless you have been asked directly about them?

Excellent point...luv it.

I'll tell you someone who's been getting away with late challenges for years. Scholes.

I like Scholes he's a good player and a true professional but you're totally right there. He's escaped punishment from English refs because of that whole 'Poor old Scholesy, he doesn't know how to tackle' rubbish that gets bandied around by the likes of Andy Gray. It's no surprise that whenever he plays in Europe he gets a yellow.

Lest we forget, here's what football genius Martin said about us last year...

Tottenham visit Anfield for a Premiership fixture given added spice by the comments of Spurs manager Martin Jol yesterday. Jol was dismissive of the rebuilding job carried out by Benitez on Merseyside and also questioned the worthiness of this week's big signing Daniel Agger.

Jol said: "People say Liverpool had slipped in the past few years, but they were always in the top four or five. Tottenham were not, and yet now we are fourth in the table, so maybe we have done a better job than Liverpool."

Regarding Agger, whom Liverpool have bought from Brondby to supplement the central defensive talents of Jamie Carragher and Sami Hyypia, Jol was also critical. "You can see they are in another bracket when they can pay six or seven million for a full-back like Daniel Agger. That is what he is, because he plays on the right side of defence. If they think he is a centre-back then I hope that's where they play him'.

Lest we forget, here's what football genius Martin said about us last year...

Tottenham visit Anfield for a Premiership fixture given added spice by the comments of Spurs manager Martin Jol yesterday. Jol was dismissive of the rebuilding job carried out by Benitez on Merseyside and also questioned the worthiness of this week's big signing Daniel Agger.

Jol said: "People say Liverpool had slipped in the past few years, but they were always in the top four or five. Tottenham were not, and yet now we are fourth in the table, so maybe we have done a better job than Liverpool."

Regarding Agger, whom Liverpool have bought from Brondby to supplement the central defensive talents of Jamie Carragher and Sami Hyypia, Jol was also critical. "You can see they are in another bracket when they can pay six or seven million for a full-back like Daniel Agger. That is what he is, because he plays on the right side of defence. If they think he is a centre-back then I hope that's where they play him'.

Give him a break, he was snorting coke and banging a tart at the time of the interview, he's going to make a few slips.

I'll tell you someone who's been getting away with late challenges for years. Scholes.

He's a horrible, snidey little shithouse who gets away with an incredible amount. He knows it aswell because everytime he's gone straight through the back of someone and not even got a yellow he just walks away laughing to himself. Everytime. Still shocked he was sent off for that "punch" he tried on Alonso.

And agree with Mr T it's Andy Gray and co that have got him this "Harmless fella, he just cant tackle" tag.

I like Scholes he's a good player and a true professional but you're totally right there. He's escaped punishment from English refs because of that whole 'Poor old Scholesy, he doesn't know how to tackle' rubbish that gets bandied around by the likes of Andy Gray. It's no surprise that whenever he plays in Europe he gets a yellow.

I remember an interview with Roy Keane once where he said that Paul Scholes was a really nasty player. The sky interviewer tried water down the remarks by saying something like "oh poor scholesy doesn't know how to tackle", but Keane corrected him again and said that Scholes was a really dirty and nasty player to play against (which keane was all for, BTW).

I reckon Sammy Lee will be the first one on the phone to the job centre

Me too.

As for Jol I think he meant, the fans should lower there expectations. We wanted a win opening day more than anything, I think he means cos they didnt doesnt mean they are shite all of a sudden