You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

We're not going to get anyone good are we...

Chris

Were you one of the ones (like me) who said Ronaldo was over-rated and had no end product? Were you one of the ones who (like me) said United were in dramatic decline last summer and had no hope of the title? Are you one of the ones (unlike me) who thinks last season was a mere flash in the pan from a lucky United side?

The Giggs and Scholes comparisons are crude, but that is basically what they are signing, isn't it? What else would you call spending £35m on two teenagers, one a winger and one an attacking midfielder, if not? They haven't just grabbed a player list from Football Manager and a pin to pick these players, you know. They scouted them and acted decisively. What's more, they'll be introducing them whilst they still have the originals playing fucking brilliant football.

And let's not forget Hargreaves, either (who many still like to dismiss as shite): he's very fast, reads the game well, has a good short passing game and has stamina to match an Olympic middle distance runner.

To be honest, as things stand, I find United to be a frightening prospect. They are two - let's just say that again, and think about it for a second - two league titles behind us. Would you bet against it being down to one in a year's time? I certainly wouldn't.

Stop it now Paul. I'm half way through my second beer, and listening to Neon Bible. You're ruining the vibe.

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what's going on but one thing Liverpool could be doing in taking their time is assessing which players will make an instant impact. The Mancs and Chelsea can afford to blow £30m on a flop (think Veron and Shevchenko) and still compete at the top end of the table due to their quality all over the pitch. If we had to support a £30m waste of space it would mean another season fighting for 3rd place.

Granted, Eto'o in my opinion would score in any league in the world, and Tevez had a great end of season but these are the risks that Liverpool may not be afford to take on reputation alone.

There's no other club in the world I can think of that's paid big money for flops than Liverpool. Diouf, Cheyrou, Cisse, Diao and Kirkland cost over £40m between them and we've scraped back around £5m for the lot and Cisse won't make back a great deal either.

Christ, even going back to the likes of Stewart and Clough have we always bought big name players who can't do it in the red shirt.

You see I think that is also part of the delusion. How "big money" were most of the players you mentioned above in big European terms? Zidane was big money. Figo was big money. Cheyrou, Diao and Kirkland were peanuts in the league we see ourselves as being in. Cisse and Diouf were quite big, but hardly earth-shattering. United had spent more than those two combined on a centre half by then.

Stop it now Paul. I'm half way through my second beer, and listening to Neon Bible. You're ruining the vibe.

I'm sorry mate - I know this is depressing reading. However, we need to wake the fuck up about the relative strengths of our own squad in comparison to those of the sides that finished above us (again) last season. There is no short cut or magic wand to catching up with these teams. We simply need to sign much better players than the ones we've got here right now. And that will cost us a huge amount of money.

Cheyrou, Diao and Kirkland were peanuts ion the league we see ourselves as being in. Cisse and Diouf were quite big, but hardly earth-shattering. United had spent more than those two combined on a centre half by then.

And that's part of the problem, we've had a whole bag of little peanuts rather than one huge coconut.

Far too many average players at mid range prices.

A lot of the time I feel as if I'd rather we did without unless we spent on outstanding players who would walk into the first team.

Spending £8m on Diao and Cheyrou for example was a total waste before they'd even kicked a ball, they were never going to be regular starters. And I sense the same of a lot of Rafa's signings.

I just sometimes think "why bother?". It just seems to go back to the quantity over quality argument.

How anyone can be blase about the mancs signing these two lads, given fergusons record for developing talent, is beyond me.

It's frightening how much potential will be in that team next season, and I think it could turn out to be the best team demento's ever built.

The only saving grace is in the fact that the old bastard cant go on forever, and hopefully when he retires, whovever they get in will balls it up big style.

I can see where you are coming from Paul, but while we shouldn't be declaring that due to G&T we will have gazillions to spend and will deffo get number 19 next season, I don't think we need to be going the opposite way either and assuming we won't buy anyone good.

The fact is if we had won in Athens, this place would be brimming with confidence. We missed out by fairly small margins. We have a fantastic manager, and ace keeper, a brilliant central defensive partnership and an amazing central midfield. Rafa WILL get good players in, I'm sure of that.

United were always going to strengthen. The fact that they have done it early has got everyone twitchy arsed. There are plenty more players out there.

I'm sorry mate - I know this is depressing reading. However, we need to wake the fuck up about the relative strengths of our own squad in comparison to those of the sides that finished above us (again) last season. There is no short cut or magic wand to catching up with these teams. We simply need to sign much better players than the ones we've got here right now. And that will cost us a huge amount of money.

Spot on in both post paul, sadly bad true.

The fact is if we had won in Athens, this place would be brimming with confidence. We missed out by fairly small margins.

But that's football at the highest level. We also won it by the smallest of margins 2 years ago.

In a strange kind of way, losing in Athens might do us a lot of good. It's given everyone a bit of a reality check

And remember how bad we all felt on August 31 2005 after all that optimism? At least this way we all expect to be massively disappointed when the window closes so anything is a bonus!

I can see where you are coming from Paul, but while we shouldn't be declaring that due to G&T we will have gazillions to spend and will deffo get number 19 next season, I don't think we need to be going the opposite way either and assuming we won't buy anyone good.

The fact is if we had won in Athens, this place would be brimming with confidence. We missed out by fairly small margins. We have a fantastic manager, and ace keeper, a brilliant central defensive partnership and an amazing central midfield. Rafa WILL get good players in, I'm sure of that.

United were always going to strengthen. The fact that they have done it early has got everyone twitchy arsed. There are plenty more players out there.

But will whoever we sign be good enough? We need serious, serious talent to catch up to united, and I strongly doubt were going to get it.

Which basically means another season of treading water.

I wouldn't pay £30m for Tevez. However, I expect some major signings by this club. I figure £60-70million will be spent and we'll break out transfer record three times.

I figure: Eto'o or Torres, Alves, Malouda(or Puerta), Gabby Milito, and Leighton Baines will be coming this summer.

I wouldn't pay £30m for Tevez. However, I expect some major signings by this club. I figure £60-70million will be spent and we'll break out transfer record three times.

I figure: Eto'o or Torres, Alves, Malouda(or Puerta), Gabby Milito, and Leighton Baines will be coming this summer.

I figure you're going to be sorely disappointed.

France international midfielder Florent Malouda has begged Lyon not to price him out of a move to Liverpool. The French champions want £17m. (Mail)

And there you have it back to the same old problem with Parry wanting to negotiate to death, he's either worth 15m quid or he's not good enough for us.

We need someone to negotiate transfers who works to get the deal done were not bargain basement hunters anymore and the selling clubs know that.

You see I think that is also part of the delusion. How "big money" were most of the players you mentioned above in big European terms? Zidane was big money. Figo was big money. Cheyrou, Diao and Kirkland were peanuts in the league we see ourselves as being in. Cisse and Diouf were quite big, but hardly earth-shattering. United had spent more than those two combined on a centre half by then.

Totally agree Paul. What I'm trying to say (eventually) is that Liverpool's budget dictates on how much we spend. We've not been shrewd in the transfer market since Barnes, Beardsley and Houghton. When we had a decent wedge to spend (compared to 17 other clubs in the premiership) we've spent it on shite.

If Tranmere had £1m to spend that would seem a huge amount to them, Liverpool's traditionally would be around the £20m mark, and Real Madrid's probably £60m. It's not how much you have it's how you spend it. And Liverpool's track record is diabolical.

So if we've got £100m to spend this summer, I don't care how much the players cost and who they are as long as they can instantly fit in. Kewell looked a steal at £5m and we've never got our money's worth, but Sissoko looked a gamble on a kid that only the shite over the park seemed interested in, and our investment seemingly looks like doubling with Juve's interest.

And there you have it back to the same old problem with Parry wanting to negotiate to death, he's either worth 15m quid or he's not good enough for us.

We need someone to negotiate transfers who works to get the deal done were not bargain basement hunters anymore and the selling clubs know that.

So because we have money we should go out and pay over the odds for players?

The word is that we've enquired about Eto'o but he only wants to move to a London club and doesn't want to live in Liverpool. So unless we sort him a helicopter it seems he'll be playing for Arsenal.

This is from a former shareholder who knows a friend who knows Moores etc.

Who defines "over the odds"? You? Rick Parry? I'm sure "over the odds" was the phrase used when the Mancs paid £12 million for Ronaldo - they don't look quite so silly now though, eh?

The problem now is we cant plead poverty as we have in the last few seasons when the clubs have known we've had a limited budget, our owners have gone on record and said they'll back the manager.

If he's the player Rafa wants then you thrash out the deal and if a deal cant be done then you move on but FFS we dont need these long drawn out transfers, its failed us for the last 2 close seasons and it obviously doesnt work.

The word is that we've enquired about Eto'o but he only wants to move to a London club and doesn't want to live in Liverpool. So unless we sort him a helicopter it seems he'll be playing for Arsenal.

This is from a former shareholder who knows a friend who knows Moores etc.

He he. The Eto'o rumour is only 10 minutes old before the rebuttal rumour appears. Gotta love the interweb.

The problem now is we cant plead poverty as we have in the last few seasons when the clubs have known we've had a limited budget, our owners have gone on record and said they'll back the manager.

If he's the player Rafa wants then you thrash out the deal and if a deal cant be done then you move on but FFS we dont need these long drawn out transfers, its failed us for the last 2 close seasons and it obviously doesnt work.

Exactly.

Who defines "over the odds"? You? Rick Parry? I'm sure "over the odds" was the phrase used when the Mancs paid £12 million for Ronaldo - they don't look quite so silly now though, eh?

This time last year the majority of the forum seemed to think they were qualified to decide what was overpriced and what wasn't (Alves, Walcott).

What happened?