You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

We're not going to get anyone good are we...

Chris

I think its a little too early to be fucked off about how things are going on the transfer front right now, as their is a long summer coming up. I agree that it's all been a bit disheartening though, as I did expect the Americans to show a bit more intent than they have done. The fans need to hear that we are going in for the best talent out there, which hasn't happened.

It almost feels like the Americans have worked out their transfer budget by comparing what we have spent in seasons gone by and have thought to themselves 'we only need to match it for now, extra revenue will come through better marketing and a bigger stadium'.

What worries me is that Rafa has not been told his budget, why wont they give him an outright figure.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What worries me is that Rafa has not been told his budget, why wont they give him an outright figure.

I'd be amazed if they haven't, he's just not making it public. How could Rafa identify targets and make plans if he spends £40m on Eto and is then told there is nothing left?

Simao would be a start. Malouda I'm not sure about, but I could just about give him the benefit of the doubt. We need a quality striker though, and that will be hard to find without paying a lot.

Wouldn't it be nice, just once, if we could sign a player without having to give him the benefit of the doubt. There's always some kind of cloud hanging over almost every signing we make.

Guest Jay W
I'd be amazed if they haven't, he's just not making it public. How could Rafa identify targets and make plans if he spends £40m on Eto and is then told there is nothing left?

Haven't the yanks said it'll be player specific? Agree with the above anyways, i'd be shocked if they haven't told him the situation.

Under normal circumstances I'd be saying calm down the season's just finished but, after what Rafa has said about getting business done early it's starting to become a bit worrying.

I just hope it's all done before the end of August because it will be a long summer otherwise.

That's depressed me.

Sorry, too many 'this season' false dawns. Every effin season the talented names are trotted out but we end up with a bunch best described as 'workmanlike.'

Maybe Rafa doesn't do flair and the ego that often comes with it.

I'm just wondering what they actually meant when they said they'd back rafa...

GG: What can I do for you Rafa?

Rafa: For sure, I'd like to sign Snoogy Doogy.

GG: (Slaps Rafa on back) Well fill yer bastarding boots Rafa

pause

Rafa: Well what about money?

GG: Money?

Another pause. Rafa storms out of the room. GG leans back in his chair and lights up a fat one.

GG: Niiiicely.

I spoke to an American on my travels a while back, a big sportsfan. When I asked him about Hicks and Gillett he nearly wet himself.

I'm not convinced they have that much money to give us. He didn't fill me with any confidence and the signs aren't good.

They haven't got a lot, but you have to speculate to accumulate. If they don't stump up the cash Rafa could be off, Gerard might follow and we are back to where we were 3 years ago.

Guest Jay W
I spoke to an American on my travels a while back, a big sportsfan. When I asked him about Hicks and Gillett he nearly wet himself.

Laughing? Like he's a multi-millionaire....

Sorry, too many 'this season' false dawns. Every effin season the talented names are trotted out but we end up with a bunch best described as 'workmanlike.'

Maybe Rafa doesn't do flair and the ego that often comes with it.

Hey man don't apologise. Seeing it there in black and white really hits home what we've been doing for too long.

I'm not convinced they have that much money to give us. He didn't fill me with any confidence and the signs aren't good.

When you say 'nearly wet himself' is that good or bad.

I've got a really bad feeling about this summer. I just don't think we're going to be making any waves in the transfer market.

We'll probably just up our level somewhat so we're getting players slightly better than the ones we got last year, but the Brazilian kid isn't exactly filling me with boundless joy, and I hope we don't et the Frenchman who doesn't care how much we pay for him because it isn't his money.

Haven't we learned our lesson with French-speaking players by now?

This is going to suck.

Fucking hell it’s the harbinger of doom. You had a good drama-queening session when you didn’t get a ticket it the ballot and now you’re at it again.

Why not wait until everything is done and dusted to see if there are real reasons to be pissed off on the transfer front.

Fucking hell it’s the harbinger of doom. You had a good drama-queening session when you didn’t get a ticket it the ballot and now you’re at it again.

Why not wait until everything is done and dusted to see if there are real reasons to be pissed off on the transfer front.

Ohhhhhh!

Wouldn't it be nice, just once, if we could sign a player without having to give him the benefit of the doubt. There's always some kind of cloud hanging over almost every signing we make.

Isn't that the same for everyone though? There were doubts about Shevchenko at £30m and with a pedigree second to none, there were doubts about Essien, Drogba and Ronaldo, there virtually always is in some way. Brilliant player for a smaller club: will he step up? Amazing player from other league such as Veron: will he adapt?

There should probably be less doubt though, I'll give you that.

I'm not going to worry or get disheartened until I see things pan out; I don't see the point.

Isn't that the same for everyone though? There were doubts about Shevchenko at £30m and with a pedigree second to none, there were doubts about Essien, Drogba and Ronaldo, there virtually always is in some way. Brilliant player for a smaller club: will he step up? Amazing player from other league such as Veron: will he adapt?

There should probably be less doubt though, I'll give you that.

I'm not going to worry or get disheartened until I see things pan out; I don't see the point.

I was thinking more Pennant and Bellamy, rather than Essien and Ronaldo, like.