You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

We're not going to get anyone good are we...

Chris

This time last year the majority of the forum seemed to think they were qualified to decide what was overpriced and what wasn't (Alves, Walcott).

What happened?

Sorry?

I'd say the fact that we didn't sign either player and have instead struggled on with sub-standard signings who didn't improve the team in any way may have convinced many people that all this "over the odds" shite is meaningless.

Still, anything to be contrary, eh mate?

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry?

I'd say the fact that we didn't sign either player and have instead struggled on with sub-standard signings who didn't improve the team in any way may have convinced many people that all this "over the odds" shite is meaningless.

Still, anything to be contrary, eh mate?

I'm not the one complaining about the lack of signings (despite making 5) on the 1st of June and moaning at not just spending what a club asks for a player.

What happened to 'despite the investment we shouldn't go out and spend stupid money on players' or 'Rafa doesn't care about star players just the right players'.....out the fucking window with that one as soon as a whiff of cash hit.

Can't believe people are criticising the club for not wasting money!?!?!

I'm not the one complaining about the lack of signings (despite making 5) on the 1st of June and moaning at not just spending what a club asks for a player.

What happened to 'despite the investment we shouldn't go out and spend stupid money on players' or 'Rafa doesn't care about star players just the right players'.....out the fucking window with that one as soon as a whiff of cash hit.

Can't believe people are criticising the club for not wasting money!?!?!

No-one apart from a few Champ Manager planks is suggesting we spend "stupid money" on anyone. What people are saying, and what seems pretty much self-evident, is that if we're serious about attempting to crack Chelsea and the Mancs' stranglehold on the league, then we need to dramatically improve the playing staff, and that kind of dramatic improvement is, unfortunately, going to cost a lot of money. It's also going to take (as the manager himself has said) speed and decisiveness in the market.

The Mancs have just spent around £50 million bringing in three players who are going to improve a title-winning squad both in the long term and short term, and look set to bring in another striker on top. We (21 points behind them last year) are currently reported to be haggling over the purchase of Florent Malouda.

You keep clinging to the idea that you're so much more sensible and grown-up than your fellow Reds, mate. See you in mid-table.

I've got a really bad feeling about this summer. I just don't think we're going to be making any waves in the transfer market.

We'll probably just up our level somewhat so we're getting players slightly better than the ones we got last year, but the Brazilian kid isn't exactly filling me with boundless joy, and I hope we don't et the Frenchman who doesn't care how much we pay for him because it isn't his money.

Haven't we learned our lesson with French-speaking players by now?

This is going to suck.

Someone tell Chris that Rash has his signon details.

Someone tell Chris that Rash has his signon details.

I tell you what, Rash was right about an awful lot of things. He just had a very unfortunate way of expressing himself. If he'd been consistent in all his opinions, not been so disrespectful to some Liverpool players and ditched the melodramatic comments (not to mention smilies) he could have been a sage on here.

I'll be disappointed if we don't spend £50m net. That's inclusive of those already signed and whatever Mascherano costs. With £30m more from TV, the CL earnings and whatever the yanks have to offer that's the least I expect. Any less and the yanks have been talking through their arses.

Shit Hermes we agree, I said as much the other day. Of course being an optimist, I think you have to look at Hicks record to see he likes to buy big. OK A Rod (Was it radioactive?) or whatever his name was, was a bust, but at least he put his hand in his pocket. We dont have that restriction plus the Mancs have raised the bar, Rafa was impressing on the yanks how much we needed to spend before the Mancs announced their deals.

No-one apart from a few Champ Manager planks is suggesting we spend "stupid money" on anyone. What people are saying, and what seems pretty much self-evident, is that if we're serious about attempting to crack Chelsea and the Mancs' stranglehold on the league, then we need to dramatically improve the playing staff, and that kind of dramatic improvement is, unfortunately, going to cost a lot of money. It's also going to take (as the manager himself has said) speed and decisiveness in the market.

The Mancs have just spent around £50 million bringing in three players who are going to improve a title-winning squad both in the long term and short term, and look set to bring in another striker on top. We (21 points behind them last year) are currently reported to be haggling over the purchase of Florent Malouda.

You keep clinging to the idea that you're so much more sensible and grown-up than your fellow Reds, mate. See you in mid-table.

Fucking hysterical given I've said for years, and was slated for it, that we need more genuine quality while everyone else was defending the idea of buying bulk and bargain hunting.

Only difference is of course that if we're going to pay big money then we still have to be sensible and not just pay the first price a club asks for a player, €25 million for Malouda being a case in point. The idea of people complaining because we're not just bending over and letting chairmen fuck us on prices is laughable.

I tell you what, Rash was right about an awful lot of things. He just had a very unfortunate way of expressing himself. If he'd been consistent in all his opinions, not been so disrespectful to some Liverpool players and ditched the melodramatic comments (not to mention smilies) he could have been a sage on here.

Thats very true Paul, Rash shot himself in the foot so often people couldnt be bothered to listen in the end. BUT he did post melodramatic posts like this hence the comment.

Im sure if we searched the forum, you'd see this thread appears every summer (and of course with some justification on occasions), its just appeared v early this time round.

And how are you ? You seemed to have gone through a change this season Paul. Your article in the Feb issue was quite downbeat for you and subsequent posts seem to suggest your falling out of love, or at least getting frustrated with our dream of 19. Do you still believe ?

Fucking hysterical given I've said for years, and was slated for it, that we need more genuine quality while everyone else was defending the idea of buying bulk and bargain hunting.

Only difference is of course that if we're going to pay big money then we still have to be sensible and not just pay the first price a club asks for a player, €25 million for Malouda being a case in point. The idea of people complaining because we're not just bending over and letting chairmen fuck us on prices is laughable.

I'll have to take your word for the first bit. As for the second, well, as was proved with Alves (if it needed proving), if you don't pay what the other chairman wants then they either don't sell at all or they sell to someone else.

It's not complicated. We're supposedly now in a position where we can pay what it takes to buy the players the manager wants. Either we are (in which case we should do so), or we're not (in which case, why was the club sold in the first place?)

I'll have to take your word for the first bit. As for the second, well, as was proved with Alves (if it needed proving), if you don't pay what the other chairman wants then they either don't sell at all or they sell to someone else.

It's not complicated. We're supposedly now in a position where we can pay what it takes to buy the players the manager wants. Either we are (in which case we should do so), or we're not (in which case, why was the club sold in the first place?)

But we're assuming that Rafa, for the first summer since he's been here, has had no say in what the price of a player should be.

It's far more likely that he's the one dictating that €25 million is too much than Parry, or G&H.

Exactly, and i'd really love to know which one it is.

Thats very true Paul, Rash shot himself in the foot so often people couldnt be bothered to listen in the end. BUT he did post melodramatic posts like this hence the comment.

Im sure if we searched the forum, you'd see this thread appears every summer (and of course with some justification on occasions), its just appeared v early this time round.

And how are you ? You seemed to have gone through a change this season Paul. Your article in the Feb issue was quite downbeat for you and subsequent posts seem to suggest your falling out of love, or at least getting frustrated with our dream of 19. Do you still believe ?

I feel like I've fundamentally changed in the way I see us. I've built my hopes up unrealistically on too many occasions only to be let down time after time. We are a great club, but not a great team and I'm not going to be swayed from saying so. I just think there is very little left to believe in at Liverpool any more, Carra excepted. I want to see before I believe from now on. Anything else seems almost childish in its naivity. That's not to say I've lost any passion, though, because I haven't. I just now know that I'm no longer prepared to deny the undeniable: we are currently way behind our rivals and it seems like Rafa has doubts about the level of support he's getting from above. I want that to change because I want us to win the league again. 1990 was a very, very long time ago.

But we're assuming that Rafa, for the first summer since he's been here, has had no say in what the price of a player should be.

It's far more likely that he's the one dictating that €25 million is too much than Parry, or G&H.

Why is it far more likely? Given the comments Rafa made after the final i'd be inclined to believe it was the other way round

Is it? Why?

Because for the past three years we've been told, and been happy to buy into the idea, that Rafa has decided when a player is too expensive (granted due to budgetry constraints in some instances) and been happy praise him for not being held to ransom.

Given G&H's reluctance to dictate to him (at least in public) on footballing matters given their inexperience and Parry not seemingly keen to interfere in the three years previous what evidence do we have that it's any different now?

[/b]

Why is it far more likely? Given the comments Rafa made after the final i'd be inclined to believe it was the other way round

What comments, the ones about us having two players at 10 and 15 million ready to sign?

If it is those then Malouda clearly wasn't one of the players since we haven't made a formal offer yet and his price is more than either of those two figures.

Paul and Rash has returned the compliment over on EST

http://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=25512

He's somewhere in the thread defending you some bad bells on there though.

Because for the past three years we've been told, and been happy to buy into the idea, that Rafa has decided when a player is too expensive (granted due to budgetry constraints in some instances) and been happy praise him for not being held to ransom.

Given G&H's reluctance to dictate to him (at least in public) on footballing matters given their inexperience and Parry not seemingly keen to interfere in the three years previous what evidence do we have that it's any different now?

I'm not sure who "we" is. I know you use the more excitable fans as a benchmark by which to prove your own cool-headed wisdom by comparison, but in reality, not everyone buys the club's spin all the time.

Also, you're ignoring one crucial fact here - in the past, it's been clear (and Moores was always relatively upfront about it) that we were operating with serious financial constraints. Now, we've been bought by men who have publicly and repeatedly claimed they will back the manager's judgement whatever it takes.

As I said before, either that's happening, or it's not.

But if it works for you prefer to think that Rafa would jeopardise his own prospects of winning the title just because he's got a reputation for thriftiness to uphold, then you go for it.

And that's the key point is it not? Rafa knew he was operating under budget restrictions, and he also knew he had to build a full squad at the same time, hence the need to spend wisely.

The idea of the sale was to remove them restrictions, so i can't see Rafa compromising his first choice targets lightly. Especially as he knows he's under pressure to deliver a realistic title challenge for the first time in his reign.

What comments, the ones about us having two players at 10 and 15 million ready to sign?

If it is those then Malouda clearly wasn't one of the players since we haven't made a formal offer yet and his price is more than either of those two figures.

Well, now that you've raised those players, why haven't we signed either of them? Presumably, if Rafa's in control of transfer fees and he was happy to go ahead, they'd be on the books by now... wouldn't they?