You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Monarchy

Remmie

That's the legal profession for you though.

They speak, whether or not they're spoken to.

And are paid handsomely for it.

Unless of course they're humanitarian "Legal Aid" types.

Which I'm sure you are, A.

Or a criminal Barrister. Currently ‘on strike’ although you crims probably already know this. I was surprised to see how little most earn.

• Upvote 1

Why don't we give all the tax revenue to the NHS instead of the Monarchy and ask "If you value the Royal Family how much more are you prepared to pay to fund them ?"

Would soon find out how popular they are.

If we get rid of the monarchy, we'll still need to pay for a head of state. Probably have to give them a portion of the Crown Estate back as part of the financial settlement, with attendant loss of revenue.

But, yeah, stick it in the side of a bus anyway, nobody cares about the fine details any more.

You're quite right, of course you can express your opinion on the royal family, and you dont need to do anything other than that,

Thing is, if you really do feel strongly about getting rid of them you should do something a bit more than that, like signing petitions, joining groups and even donating to the cause. That way, if enough people do it, it gets on the public agenda and perhaps a political party will take it on board. Then you might have the option to vote to get rid.

Or, like me, youre not that arsed

Its just an opinion

What if you have limited time and or resources and have opinions on other stuff as well?

This seems to be drifting a little bit towards the "well, live in the woods eating twigs" type argument.

What if you have limited time and or resources and have opinions on other stuff as well?

This seems to be drifting a little bit towards the "well, live in the woods eating twigs" type argument.

This seems to be drifting towards the arguing for the sake of it argument. 

Lets take the example of Labours policies that you would quite like to see in place. You would probably sign petitions, join the labour party or vote for them when the opportunity arose and encourage others to do so. You probably wouldnt just whinge about it.

If you felt very strongly you would at least do something

You're quite right, of course you can express your opinion on the royal family, and you dont need to do anything other than that,

Thing is, if you really do feel strongly about getting rid of them you should do something a bit more than that, like signing petitions, joining groups and even donating to the cause. That way, if enough people do it, it gets on the public agenda and perhaps a political party will take it on board. Then you might have the option to vote to get rid.

Its just an opinion

I hate them but am as equally not arsed enough to start chaining myself to Buck house railings. Royals are armchair ranting material the fucking freeloading cunts

Its just an opinion

The problem with a lot of things, the Royals in particular, is the media control the agenda. 

Despite 66% of the public not being arsed about the Royal Wedding the build up was on continually and I don't once remember a single representative of republic or any order group being asked an opinion, we just keep getting told how great/popular the monarchy are. 

Every single discussion about them is completely non critical, a political party would be destroyed by the media if they took an anti royal stance. 

Despite only 25% of people being in favour of the Railways and Energy companies being run by the Private sector, it is still portrayed as being in cloud cuckoo land by the media. They don't care about public agenda but their own agenda.

If we get rid of the monarchy, we'll still need to pay for a head of state. Probably have to give them a portion of the Crown Estate back as part of the financial settlement, with attendant loss of revenue.

But, yeah, stick it in the side of a bus anyway, nobody cares about the fine details any more.

It was a throw away remark as I was shocked at hearing Tories talking about increasing taxes for the NHS. 

As an aside, why would we have to give the parasites a financial settlement ?  

Hang on, you're not allowed to be pissed off with something unless you're prepared to do something about it personally? Like what pray tell? How would one bring down the monarchy? Or Donald Trump? Or neoliberalism? Or end world hunger and antibiotic resistance?

What a baffling thing to say.

Besides which there's lots of subtle ways people can stand up for an agenda. People have changed my mind about certain subjects in debates on here, then maybe I've changed someone else's, and they've changed someone else's.

Its really quite simple, if you really do want to get rid of the royals there are quick and easy things you can do that will go a small tiny way towards maybe one day it happening. If you're arent really that arsed, like me, then you wont bother.

Its not that baffling

Besides which there's lots of subtle ways people can stand up for an agenda. People have changed my mind about certain subjects in debates on here, then maybe I've changed someone else's, and they've changed someone else's.

That's my plan, I'm too lazy to do anything about anything I dislike, so I hope that my moaning manages to persuade somebody else to do it instead.

Its really quite simple, if you really do want to get rid of the royals there are quick and easy things you can do that will go a small tiny way towards maybe one day it happening. If you're arent really that arsed, like me, then you wont bother.

Its not that baffling

I find it baffling that you think it is that simple. 

• Upvote 1

It's be a bit like old Prime Ministers I reckon. Fair bit of security to start off with, a nice fat pension and a load of perks then after a bit no-one would give a shit.

Pretty sure no-one gives a monkeys about anyone outside of Queen, Charles, Will & Harry and associated wives and sprogs to start with. Give it a couple of years off the public teat and no-one would care about them either, other than the Daily Express calling for them to be reinstated every day.

You’ve never been past Gordon Brown’s home. You wouldn’t think he’d be on anyone’s radar but his home not far from us is protected like a fortress

Meghan Markle has a coat of arms. Whatever the fuck that is. (Coats of arms date back to 12th Century and were traditionally worn over armour in tournaments so participants could identify their opponents.)

_101751031_e7c7fbd5-55eb-40d3-922b-12e38

It includes a shield containing the colour blue, representing the Pacific Ocean, and rays, symbolising sunshine.

Meghan Markle has a coat of arms. Whatever the fuck that is. (Coats of arms date back to 12th Century and were traditionally worn over armour in tournaments so participants could identify their opponents.)

_101751031_e7c7fbd5-55eb-40d3-922b-12e38

It includes a shield containing the colour blue, representing the Pacific Ocean, and rays, symbolising sunshine.

And a dove being strangled by a crown, like a seagull with its head caught in the plastic from a six-pack of beer.

Is that to symbolise what happens to any decent people who marry into the Firm?

Joined them and donated, already signed the petition. Just need to write to my MP and Monarchy will be gone in time for Bank holiday. It really was easy after all.