You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Monarchy

Remmie

I couldn’t care less if they went or stayed. But if they went they’d still get hassle, still have to be protected from people who wanted to kill them and still get the Press following their every move.

Edward VIII did just that and went relatively unmolested in the Bahamas and France.  In exiled supreme luxury, with big houses - and wistfully playing the bagpipes and perhaps even a good bloke, genuinely in love with his Mrs - but ultimately still indignant because he didn't have access to the British public purse.

He even took photo opportunities with Hitler to illustrate his disaffection at being "under" privileged thanks to the Britain that had forsaken him, rather than he her, which is far more accurate an assessment. 

After all, if you're wealthy because of tax payers, your loyalty, love and devotion should be to them, n'est-ce pas?

Edward VIII did just that and went relatively unmolested in the Bahamas and France. In exiled supreme luxury, with big houses - and wistfully playing the bagpipes and perhaps even a good bloke, genuinely in love with his Mrs - but ultimately still indignant because he didn't have access to the British public purse.

He even took photo opportunities with Hitler to illustrate his disaffection at being "under" privileged thanks to the Britain that had forsaken him, rather than he her, which is far more accurate an assessment.

After all, if you're wealthy because of tax payers, your loyalty, love and devotion should be to them, n'est-ce pas?

That was what, 60 or 70 years ago? Completely different age. You can’t believe that a single member of the top say 20 wouldn’t have to be protected 24/7.

rico1304, on 25 May 2018 - 4:35 PM, said:

That was what, 60 or 70 years ago? Completely different age. You can’t believe that a single member of the top say 20 wouldn’t have to be protected 24/7.

It's be a bit like old Prime Ministers I reckon. Fair bit of security to start off with, a nice fat pension and a load of perks then after a bit no-one would give a shit.

Pretty sure no-one gives a monkeys about anyone outside of Queen, Charles, Will & Harry and associated wives and sprogs to start with. Give it a couple of years off the public teat and no-one would care about them either, other than the Daily Express calling for them to be reinstated every day.

But it is like playing Xbox. No issue with him talking like a squadie. The system should be the focus of attention. The rest is a result of it. Most objections in this thread are with a bit daft or just an obvious result of having the system we have.

Change the system. https://www.republic.org.uk

This is it for me, if you're that bothered about the royal family join a movement that is trying to do something about it.

I suspect most on here will spend a few minutes and have a good whinge and rant then get back to their lives without giving them a second thought. In other words they really arent that arsed.

• Upvote 1

This is it for me, if you're that bothered about the royal family join a movement that is trying to do something about it.

I suspect most on here will spend a few minutes and have a good whinge and rant then get back to their lives without giving them a second thought. In other words they really arent that arsed.

Are you suggesting, even for a second, that sounding off on a forum to get a few rep points isn't the most meaningful, world-changing action available?

BURN THE WITCH!

I agree that struggling to pay bills and fed the family

If those things are the primary concern, maybe findings endless hours to spend slagging things off on the internet that you can't afford isn't the best use of time.

Of course, it might well be the case that those doing aren't worrying about those things at all.

It's be a bit like old Prime Ministers I reckon. Fair bit of security to start off with, a nice fat pension and a load of perks then after a bit no-one would give a shit.

Pretty sure no-one gives a monkeys about anyone outside of Queen, Charles, Will & Harry and associated wives and sprogs to start with. Give it a couple of years off the public teat and no-one would care about them either, other than the Daily Express calling for them to be reinstated every day.

That’s why I said top 20.

Blair costs taxpayers £12m a year in protection.

I agree that struggling to pay bills and fed the family, worrying about job security is just an excuse not to camp outside the Palace and bring down the monarchy.

People will be arsed but most of the time life gets in the way. 

You could just sign up to something and pay a £1. But you havent because you couldnt give a flying fuck

That’s why I said top 20.

Blair costs taxpayers £12m a year in protection.

Yeah, ok, I reckon Andrew, Edward and Anne could get along fine. So more like top 10 for me. And that’s only for this generation if we hypothetically dispose of them.

After that no-one would give a fuck.

Apart from the Daily Express.

As we are now having our annual debate of "will people happily pay more to fund the NHS ?"

Why don't we give all the tax revenue to the NHS instead of the Monarchy and ask "If you value the Royal Family how much more are you prepared to pay to fund them ?"

Would soon find out how popular they are.

If you haven't paid you shouldn't be allowed to speak, in my opinion.

We're all paying tax towards it anyway (as far as I'm aware) so shouldn't really need to donate or sign up to a .org group in order to be able to voice our opinions on the matter.

We're all paying tax towards it anyway (as far as I'm aware) so shouldn't really need to donate or sign up to a .org group in order to be able to voice our opinions on the matter.

You're quite right, of course you can express your opinion on the royal family, and you dont need to do anything other than that,

Thing is, if you really do feel strongly about getting rid of them you should do something a bit more than that, like signing petitions, joining groups and even donating to the cause. That way, if enough people do it, it gets on the public agenda and perhaps a political party will take it on board. Then you might have the option to vote to get rid.

Or, like me, youre not that arsed

Its just an opinion

I'll express an opinion whenever I want, regardless of whether I've signed up to something or not.

Regards.

That's the legal profession for you though.

They speak, whether or not they're spoken to.

And are paid handsomely for it.

Unless of course they're humanitarian "Legal Aid" types.

Which I'm sure you are, A.