You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Architecture

Karl_b

15 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

I’ll provide the $950k if you provide the rest. 

I have a friend who can afford it, and loves the house as well. We actually went to Palm Spring for a visit 8-10 years ago. We stayed in a house just around the corner, and were looking at buying an old wreck together directly across the street for $600,000. It would have been a great project.

Plan fell through when he decided to crash his bike and suffer a major head injury. I ended buying in Mexico instead (cheaper).

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, cochyn said:

Poetry, that.

Great to see it hasn't been festooned with loads of massive tellies and its own bowling alley and whatnot. Bit beyond my summer house budget, mind.

Barry Manilow owned it for awhile (assume 70's) and apparently covered it in shag carpet and mirrored walls.

2 hours ago, neko said:

I have a friend who can afford it, and loves the house as well. We actually went to Palm Spring for a visit 8-10 years ago. We stayed in a house just around the corner, and were looking at buying an old wreck together directly across the street for $600,000. It would have been a great project.

Plan fell through when he decided to crash his bike and suffer a major head injury. I ended buying in Mexico instead (cheaper).

Oh wow. Fingers crossed he buys it.  

21 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

That’s stunning.  

Thanks - I did a lot of the preliminary design work (and landscaping) before handing it over to another architect friend of ours. I was very keen on the low bunker look to the front elevation (it's four stories from the back).

The house is trashed now. He can't keep it clean himself, and doesn't have a proper maid. Dishes and books and crap mixed in with million dollar paintings and antiques.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, neko said:

Thanks - I did a lot of the preliminary design work (and landscaping) before handing it over to another architect friend of ours. I was very keen on the low bunker look to the front elevation (it's four stories from the back).

The house is trashed now. He can't keep it clean himself, and doesn't have a proper maid. Dishes and books and crap mixed in with million dollar paintings and antiques.

it’s exactly what I’d want in a place out there. It just seems to fit perfectly.  

I could quite easily be his cleaner.  

24 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

it’s exactly what I’d want in a place out there. It just seems to fit perfectly.  

I could quite easily be his cleaner.  

Ha - I keep suggesting my wife would do it for him (he pays someone $50,000/year), but I'm quite sure he'd try to hump her.

That would cost extra.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, neko said:

Ha - I keep suggesting my wife would do it for him (he pays someone $50,000/year), but I'm quite sure he'd try to hump her.

That would cost extra.

Money is of no interest to me at all. Nevertheless, depending on his looks, I'm quite happy to don a cleaner's overcoat, curlers, a mop and bucket, and have, erm, a fag hanging out of my gob for twenty knicker a pop. 

Let's be honest, I'm not exactly changing the habits of a lifetime. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, rb14 said:

Money is of no interest to me at all. Nevertheless, depending on his looks, I'm quite happy to don a cleaner's overcoat, curlers, a mop and bucket, and have, erm, a fag hanging out of my gob for twenty knicker a pop. 

Let's be honest, I'm not exactly changing the habits of a lifetime. 

May as well make 20 out of it instead of throwing it around for free.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I’m not at all religious but do love an old church. This example in East london in absolutely magnificent. Designed by Hawksmoor in the 1600s as part of a Government push to stop people going to see plays and get them going back to church. He built 6 in london then they ran out of money. The 2nd one pictured is in Greenwich. 

DD294739-C8F8-4414-ACE3-8AEF7C99B15D.jpeg

8E362D01-7539-4B66-9AAF-89F50E4D94C9.jpeg

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

I’m not at all religious but do love an old church. This example in East london in absolutely magnificent. Designed by Hawksmoor in the 1600s as part of a Government push to stop people going to see plays and get them going back to church. He built 6 in london then they ran out of money. The 2nd one pictured is in Greenwich. 

DD294739-C8F8-4414-ACE3-8AEF7C99B15D.jpeg

8E362D01-7539-4B66-9AAF-89F50E4D94C9.jpeg

Interesting fella that Hawksmoor. I'm going from hazy memory here, but I'm sure he was an understudy to Christopher Wren, a style you can often see reflected in his own work. Proper into the darker side of religion, he had a penchant for doing things like having 13 statue plinths or three sets of six columns (666 - geddit?) or whatever. 

I read about it years ago in Peter Ackroyd's decent book "Hawksmoor". Maybe that book was fictional, I don't know, but I've read similar stuff about him elsewhere. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, rb14 said:

Interesting fella that Hawksmoor. I'm going from hazy memory here, but I'm sure he was an understudy to Christopher Wren, a style you can often see reflected in his own work. Proper into the darker side of religion, he had a penchant for doing things like having 13 statue plinths or three sets of six columns (666 - geddit?) or whatever. 

Of course some of that might be bollocks, but amongst other places, I read about it years ago in Peter Ackroyd's "Hawksmoor". 

Yes he worked for Wren. That Ackroyd book is very good. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CfCT_-qqOro/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Here it is on Instagram which is great for architecture and all things houses. I love those tiny house pages on it. Won't embed for me unfortunately. 

• Upvote 1