You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Help!!!

Paul

Number one son spilt coffee on work PC + the first letter of the *lph*bet no longer works. C*ps lock is *lso now dodgy. Once the piss-t*king is underw*y, I could re*lly, re*lly use some tips on how to sort it before I get to work tomorrow + struggle to use my whitebo*rd or get into shit for ruining work's property. Let the l*ughter (+ *dvise) commence.

actually, that's a temporary solution. However, is there a way of easily sorting this myself? I'm already getting pissed off by that lower-case letter at the start of this post. Fuck me, this is absolutely agonising.

Paulo, most modern laptops have a detachable keyboard for cleaning in just this situation.

Get the manual to find out where the clips are, or download the manual from manufacturers site. There is probably some coffee between the keyboard keys and the sensor pads underneath, not a problem, done it loads of times.

Just needs a good wipe, thats all.

Right - 'Caps Lock' is now working, but the 'a' key is still fucked (after taking the battery out). I've checked the manual and there's nothing there about unclipping the keyboard. Short of any other suggestions, I'm going to turn it upside down and leave it in the airing cupboard overnight to make the remaining coffee evaporate.

Also, normally the keys themselves can be detached from the keyboard, so if you're only havig problems with 1 or 2 keys, this is probably the best bet.

Then get a plastic stick cotton swab and use 100% ethanol to clean the keys and their seatings. Then use the hairdryer as suggested above.

Right - 'Caps Lock' is now working, but the 'a' key is still fucked (after taking the battery out). I've checked the manual and there's nothing there about unclipping the keyboard. Short of any other suggestions, I'm going to turn it upside down and leave it in the airing cupboard overnight to make the remaining coffee evaporate.

A small screwdriver and some patience will lever the key out. Then just wipe it down with a baby wipe or something like that. Its probably just a case of Coffee sitting on the contacts and stopping the a coming out.

You can take the whole keyboard out of a laptop but that's probably not a lot of help in this case. Just take out the actual key, unclipping it gently (as suggested above), and clean around a bit.

My laptop had a new keyboard fitted (under warranty) and it cost about £90 for the replacement keyboard. That'll be the artificially inflated price too, so I don't think work will be too upset at this incident even if the unclipping of the keys doesn't work.

* (Unclipping keys on a keyboard is a great prank, and probably got mentioned in the last "great prank" thread. Exchanging a couple of keys on they keyboard of a colleague who has to look at the keyboard to type can be great fun, e.g. swapping "H" and "G" or "V" and "B".)

M & N is always a winner.

My kids aren't allowed near the computer with drinks.

Lead by example, Paul. You have no one to blame but yourself and now you must face the consequences of your actions. It's a life lesson but we all learn that way. Now back to your desk and finish your work.

The coffee was mine, mate. They're hyper enough as it is without adding caffeine.

Any how, it all turned our fine. I put it upside down on the boiler over night and now it's ace.

Number one son spilt coffee on work PC + the first letter of the *lph*bet no longer works. C*ps lock is *lso now dodgy. Once the piss-t*king is underw*y, I could re*lly, re*lly use some tips on how to sort it before I get to work tomorrow + struggle to use my whitebo*rd or get into shit for ruining work's property. Let the l*ughter (+ *dvise) commence.

Eh? or should that be *

Look how badly it messed with my head: I used the verb, instead of the noun. Disaster.