You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Compulsive Obsessive Amnesty Thread

RedinSweden

I'd like to see the set up of products in China. Over here you'll find the store's own brand on the right of the selections, then most likely the brand leader in the market (Heinz beans for instance) because we are all taught to read from left to right. Don't the Chineese read the opposite way: from the bottom right upwards? Is this reflected in their shelves?

It sounds sad but the Consumer Psychology side of my degree was ace, I had a brilliant lecturer and loved it.

Heh. I thought it would all still be Chairman Maos Tapioca Pudding "It's for the Common Good!" over there.

Psychology is a fascinating subject, and I would have loved to have taken the subkect further than the "Foundation" level that I did when I left school. Alas, work, drugs, women and really wild things got in the way.

I've been reading up a lot on the psychology of cults, in particular Dianetics and Scientology which appear to use a "dark" psychological manipulation method, with the whole "cult membership us versus them" thing going on, "love-bombing", sensory deprivation, repetetive behavious and hypnosis in order to work its stuff.

Again, fascinating stuff, and just confirms to my mind what a twat Tom Cruise is.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh. I thought it would all still be Chairman Maos Tapioca Pudding "It's for the Common Good!" over there.

Psychology is a fascinating subject, and I would have loved to have taken the subkect further than the "Foundation" level that I did when I left school. Alas, work, drugs, women and really wild things got in the way.

I've been reading up a lot on the psychology of cults, in particular Dianetics and Scientology which appear to use a "dark" psychological manipulation method, with the whole "cult membership us versus them" thing going on, "love-bombing", sensory deprivation, repetetive behavious and hypnosis in order to work its stuff.

Again, fascinating stuff, and just confirms to my mind what a twat Tom Cruise is.

I have book called Brainwashing: the science of thought control which was nominated for the MIND book of the year but I haven't had time to read it properly. I do know that the term brainwashing has its roots in the CIA. A CIA agent coined it after some troops that had been prisoners of war in Korea returned and had become communists and possessed a love of communist Korea. What little I have read of it has been fascinating but I've been too busy with uni to be able to devote my time to it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brainwashing-Science-Thought-Kathleen-Taylor/dp/0192804960

I have to put down toilet paper on the seat of any toilets that arent in my house and I have to fill the glass once and pour it out before I can drink from it too.

I also dislike washing dishes, as it means me having to touch food thats been left on the plate. I really dont like touching bean/spaghetti juice with my hands.

I invariably have to re-load the dishwasher if Mrs Paul has had any input into it that day. I can't stand her randomly inefficient use of space, with kids bottles/beakers not placed as far back as possible, thereby leaving dead space behind, and even worse, bowls and plates mixed together in the same area. I don't see this as werid; just an attempt to avoid having to wash anything by hand. We've got the fucker, so we're going to damn well use it.

I'm also not a big fan of her "chuck the washing in random piles on the drying rack" policy. Clearly, it will take longer to dry and also require more ironing. However, as I don't do this job anything like as often as she does, I tend not to complain.

I also like doors to be shut when I'm in a room (drilled into me by my draft-obsessed dad) and lights to be turned off when not needed (I am Jim Royle).

Finally, toilet lids need putting down when not in use (common sense, surely? Keep the germs inside).

I have been known to leave the flat, realise 100 metres up the road that I've left the door wide open, come back to find that it is in fact safely locked, spend 10 minutes checking it's safely locked, get 100 metres down the road and then realise that in fact I sort of imagined the first part and that my door is wide open, go back and it is safely locked.....repeat till I'm six weeks late for work.

I invariably have to re-load the dishwasher if Mrs Paul has had any input into it that day. I can't stand her randomly inefficient use of space, with kids bottles/beakers not placed as far back as possible, thereby leaving dead space behind, and even worse, bowls and plates mixed together in the same area. I don't see this as werid; just an attempt to avoid having to wash anything by hand. We've got the fucker, so we're going to damn well use it.

I'm also not a big fan of her "chuck the washing in random piles on the drying rack" policy. Clearly, it will take longer to dry and also require more ironing. However, as I don't do this job anything like as often as she does, I tend not to complain.

I also like doors to be shut when I'm in a room (drilled into me by my draft-obsessed dad) and lights to be turned off when not needed (I am Jim Royle).

Finally, toilet lids need putting down when not in use (common sense, surely? Keep the germs inside).

Er indoors has the same problem with dishwasher space Paulie. Always on at me to be more 'efficient'.

And me arl fella is also a draft nazi, but Ive gone the complete opposite and love fresh air and doors open all over the place. Cant sleep at night without a window open (all year round).

OK. We all have our foibles. I have very few, but I noticed this morning that I hate seeing fingerprints on the shiny back of my iRiver and wipe it immediately. My missus is a straightener. If she sees that the curtain is caught on something and not hanging down, she has to adjust it.

Come on then. What are yours? Do we have any switch a light on and off twelve times types?

I check the doors are locked at least 3 times (including the garage door) before I leave the house.

Er indoors has the same problem with dishwasher space Paulie. Always on at me to be more 'efficient'.

And me arl fella is also a draft nazi, but Ive gone the complete opposite and love fresh air and doors open all over the place. Cant sleep at night without a window open (all year round).

The actual drafts don't worry me. It's just the door being open. Years of having him yell at us for not shutting the door in the front room have left me programmed to always do so now.

• 6 months later...
When eating a roast meal, I have to consume one food-group at a time before moving on to the next - e.g. I would eat all the fine beans first, then the roast carrots, followed by the roast parsnips etc. The meat is always last.

I always wipe around the bog seat before sitting on it - even if it has been cleaned minutes beforehand.

I have a very specific way of cleaning my teeth by dividing the mouth into quarters, and performing an equal amount of brush-strokes on each quadrant.

I am far more chilled out about the use of the English language than I used to be, however if anyone misuses "brought" and "bought" I can go a bit mentalist.

I am exactly the opposite . I am not as bad as I was ( I used to eat my fry ups on 4 pieces of bread - not 3 or 5 - & I used to get all the foods in piles & divide them into quarters , Even squashing the chips to make it easier. I would thus ensure each butty had exactly the same amount on ) but I still leave any food that is on its own at the end of the meal.

• 6 months later...

Okay, if this is a proper amnesty....I used to have a few.

-The worst was if I scratched my left cheek (for example) I'd have to scratch my right but because I'd done the procedure L R I'd then have to do it R L. This now made the sequence LRRL so I'd have to do RLLR and then again RLLR and once more LRRL. So now you've got LRRLRLLRRLLRLRRL and could go onto... RLLRLRRLLRRLRLLRRLLRLRRLLRRLRLLRLRRLRLLRRLLRLRRL and then force myself to stop. Managed to stop this one.

-Had to finish stairs on my right foot. These days I enjoy the novelty of a left footed finale.

-Have a bit of a straightening/rearranging thing (not so bad now but the herb jars in my cupboard get a regular going over).

-Had two light switches in hall and landing that either both had to be down or both up. Don't live there anymore so this is gone.

-Dials are set to preferred angles - my speaker has to be in the middle and volume controlled at the computer.

-When I eat tea I have to finish with a small amount of every ingredient on the last forkful. Whilst eating a particularly varied roast this has developed into an art form. This is practical too as it means you get the taste of your whole meal lingering in the mouth afterwards. I recommend this one.

-Bit of a checker, too. I was once driving along and, though obviously the keys were in the ignition, I still had to check.

-Had a well oiled pocket system that once led to my whole room being turned upside down as I didn't think to check that maybe I'd put my lighter in a different one.

There are more examples but I've made myself look fucked up enough, I feel.

Do I win?

Haha - okay. I'll share the weirdest that I've just remembered.

Inanimate objects are given personalities that effect their selection e.g. when selecting a fork from the drawer I sometimes feel guilty that I'm displaying preferential treatment and feel bad to the ones that aren't selected.

I blame drugs.