You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Starting 11

Chris

Well, let's look at it...

Pepe

Marcus Carra Sami Dossena

Murphy Gerrard Didi/Masch Babel

Owen Torres.

I'd go along with that team except I think Mascherano edges it and I'd probably be tempted to pick Kuyt over Babel.

If I was choosing a forward line out of Torres, Owen (2002 model), Keane and Diouf then I'd definitely pick the first two as well.

Well, let's look at it...

Jerzy v Pepe = Pepe

Greg v Dossena = Probably the new lad, but dunno yet

Sami v Agger = Sami

Steph v Carra = Carra, but Steph was fucking awesome

Marcus v Arbeloa = Marcus

Didi vs Mascherano = again, not much in it.

Gerrard vs Gerrard = Gerrard

Murphy vs Kuyt = Murphy

Riise vs Babel = Babel

Owen vs Keane = Owen

Diouf vs Torres = Torres

Mix it together, you have

Pepe

Marcus Carra Sami Dossena

Murphy Gerrard Didi/Masch Babel

Owen Torres.

This was the only one i disagreed on.

What agenda? I don't have any agenda.

I compared Owen to Keane because they're of a similar age now, both home grown players, both really experienced in the Premier League scoring a shed load of goals. Owen in 2002 is better than Keane in 2008. Maybe not now, but then he was European Footballer of the Year.

I compared Torres to Diouf because they were big name foreign players renowned for their skill and technical ability, that arrived with a big reputation and a lot of expectation. Seemed like the most apt comparison to make really.

Seems that anyone who tries to make a logical point about the past or about another club has an agenda against Rafa? 'sake.

Danny Murphy ruled for us. More skillful than Kuyt, a better footballer than Kurt, a better and more prolific goalscorer than Kuyt, a better finisher than Kuyt and far more intelligent as a player than Kuyt.

Dossena vs Vignal? Like I say, it's likely that this lad will be better, but I haven't seen him play yet.

But y'all believe everything in the garden is rosy now and it'll be fine.

Kuyt has 25 goals in 92 games.

Wikipedia's got Murphy down as scoring 25 league goals in 170 appearances. He's going to have to have done some serious business in the cups for that statement to be anywhere near true.

I'd have checked on the bbc but it's loading as slow as fuck for some reason.

Kuyt has 25 goals in 92 games.

Wikipedia's got Murphy down as scoring 25 league goals in 170 appearances. He's going to have to have done some serious business in the cups for that statement to be anywhere near true.

I'd have checked on the bbc but it's loading as slow as fuck for some reason.

Why go to the beeb when you have the magnificent lfchistory.net

Danny Murphy Total LFC games/goals: 249 / 44

Dirk Kuyt Total LFC games/goals: 96 / 25

Why go to the beeb when you have the magnificent lfchistory.net

Danny Murphy Total LFC games/goals: 249 / 44

Dirk Kuyt Total LFC games/goals: 96 / 25

Cheers. I'm not up for a debate over Murphy and Kuyt, if Chris thinks he's a more intelligent player or a better footballer then that's an opinion he's entitled to, I just wanted to take issue with the idea Murphy was more prolific.

my take on this would be

Kuyt over Murphy everytime

Torres v Owen is very close but maybe Torres

Keane over El Spit

Risse v Babel is very close i think to many are tainted by the player of last season and not the one from 2002 and i would say just Riise

i would go with Dossana and the reason for that Dave would be that the level of form he showed in Italy is better than that shown by Vignal and it looks like he could be a very decent player on the little we have seen

Didi has shown better form than Javi but that could change over the next couple of seasons

the CB i would have to judge as a unit and say that the 2002 pair where better than this current one but that this current one has the potential to be much better with games if they do that

so in short i have it at 5-5 with Gerrard in both teams

Reina/Jerzy

Babbel/Al

Carra/Henchoz -

Agger/Hyypia -

Dossana/Vignal -

Gerrard/Gerrard

Masch/Didi -

Kuyt/Murphy -

Babel/Riise -

Torres/Owen -

Keane/Diouf -