You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shifting Positions

bri

Was talking to my mate last night about the coming season. Anyway Djimi T came up and he reckons he'll be moved to centre half. Still think he looks a bit jittery at times but then again carra used to get nose bleeds crossing the half way line at right back.

Moving carra into the middle has made twice the player he was. Just thinking if it could happen to Djimi or Pongo being moved out to the right. Or if theres any other players past or present who changes their game for the better after being moved

I would say Henry was slightly successful when put up front frolm the wing. SWP used to play up front then moved to the right wing - also pretty successful. but then Igor was moved from midfield to central defender and we all know how successful that was.

I agree with giving Pongologa a go on the right - give him a half decent run there to give him time to adapt and see how he fares. I would be surprised if Jimmy is moved to play elsewhere now but stranger things have happened... atre you thinking Riise will now be 1st choice left back?

We have no other cover at all at CB so even if we buy one CB I expect Traore will be playing a few games there.

Similarly I doubt that JAR will be picked regularly ahead of both Kewell and Zenden (not to mention Speedy)at LM so he'll get a few games at LB.

I think there's going to be a lot of rotation on the left flank.

I just don't think Djimi's dominant enough in the air to play there full-time. There's too many times this season when wingers have beaten him to a header. I'm not knocking the lad's overall ability as I think he's had a great season, but I just think he's not enough of a physical presence.

I don't personally think that Hyypia is going to be 1st choice this year, as well as he did last year, he's not the same as he was, and all this talk about lack of cover at CB basically means Rafa is actually looking for a long term repalcement, hopefully with a bit of pace - not that I have a problem with Sami - but he has got slow....

would probably agree with you there Hoddy. I used to think CB was his better position because he used to get dragged in field ball watching at LB, but now he has imporved so dramatically at that position I would want somebody a bit more solid and more physical at CB.

I think there will be a lot of rotation full stop this year, not just on the left. wouldnt be surprised to see a couple of changes every couple of games. aparently its what he used to like to do at Valencia. (so I have heard)

Was talking to my mate last night about the coming season. Anyway Djimi T came up and he reckons he'll be moved to centre half. Still think he looks a bit jittery at times but then again carra used to get nose bleeds crossing the half way line at right back.

Moving carra into the middle has made twice the player he was. Just thinking if it could happen to Djimi or Pongo being moved out to the right. Or if theres any other players past or present who changes their game for the better after being moved

Well there Bri, Id say yo might be right about both Djimi and FSP. Personally, as stated in a couple of other threads, i reckon 3 at the back may become a familiar sight this season, and as such I can see Jamie, Sami and Djimi playing regulalrly there.

AS for Flo, yep, he was really starting to impress when he got struck down at Watford. His Olympiakos performance, his Tottenmham one too, he looks like he's gonna be some player. I seem to remember Le Tallec was the more highly toutde one when they joined. Just shows what a difference an attitude can make (ALT - Im off to St Etiene, yes St Etiene, if you dont play me Rafa. OK Boy, fuck off to St Ettiene and I'll see you in Jan, when you can some back with your attitude sorted and I can tell you to play int he ressies to learn some humility oh and Parrys just soaked me with that friggin flower again)

It's all a state of mind with Djimi. If he was consistently picked there and Carra really set out to help him along, rather than kick his arse for every minor mistake (not saying he would do that, mind), I think he'd be class. It's all about confidence with Djimbo - GH drained him of it, whilst Rafa has filled him with it.

Im sure JAR would be might pissed off if he was left out of our starting 11 this season. only one app behind carra last year with 54 chipped in with 8 goals and 8 assists (league only.)

Harry K and Zenden have a fair way to go to knock him out of his spot. Think were gonna see a fair amount of rotation this year what with the early start. Maybe see Djimi moved into the middle or bombed out and JAR moved to Left Back.

Im sure JAR would be might pissed off if he was left out of our starting 11 this season. only one app behind carra last year with 54 chipped in with 8 goals and 8 assists (league only.)

Harry K and Zenden have a fair way to go to knock him out of his spot. Think were gonna see a fair amount of rotation this year what with the early start. Maybe see Djimi moved into the middle or bombed out and JAR moved to Left Back.

i said at the end of last season that there would be some major casualtes from last seasons team and JAR could be one of those, for sure he will play less games than last season

I think your right Joey. Djimi may get moved centrally in some games, while i also expect (as discussed elsewhere) more 3 at teh back, with Riise the ideal wing back and Djimi Ideal as the left sided defender.