You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steve Albini RIP

Love it how they dropped Rapeman.

He was also a great interview for podcasts and such. And never saw himself as too important when he produced.

3 minutes ago, Elite said:

Which was?

When Butch Vig made them sound good and accessible on Nevermind, they got scared of that type of success and hired Albini to produce In Utero, because he was this cult alternative producer and they wanted to make the album sound much less polished and commercial. 

Sad to find this out too and the timing is totally fucked up when he had a new album due out next week. A big part of so much great music from other bands and also really like some of the music he made himself.

I can only think of one LP I have which he engineered, Walking Into Claksdale by Page & Plant & I think the production ruins it a bit (not sure how much of that was up to him) but he seemed a decent enough sort.

10 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Good thing he was a plumber.

He was important as a producer, but equally as a "badge of quality" for indie and alter types (like me), meaning you were contractually obliged to like what Albini has produced.

I remember when I started drifting towards country one of my transitional acts I liked was Robbie Fulks and some of my "obscurist" friends were quick to ridicule my new-fangled choices when I played them his Country Love Songs album, to which I simply pointed my finger at the name of the "engineer" and they had to shut the fuck up.

This is shite. RIP

I was amazed when I saw an interview with him (I think it was on the Foo Fighters' Sonic Highways documentary) where he said he never takes a percentage of the albums he produced. He just took the amount he got for producing. He made his money playing poker.