You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do we prioritise a Thursday night comeback now?

Chris

Thursday Night: All-in on another European miracle? Or powder dry for fading league hopes?   

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should we prioritise Atalanta comeback?

• Yes! This is achievable. Let's go for it.
    • No! Outside league chance still more important.

We're in a tight spot!

I'm feeling like we should go all out to try and overcome this Atalanta deficit. It feels more achievable to me than the title, which feels absolutely gone now. It'd give us the opportunity to end the era on a high and complete the set for Jurgen. 

Thoughts? 

• Chris changed the title to Do we prioritise a Thursday night comeback now?

Pick a strongish side but keep first choice players who’ve look knackered (Endo, Mac, Salah, Nunez) on the bench. If there’s a realistic chance with half-hour to go, chuck them on.  

We go strong

We need a performance. 

It's unlikely as they are well drilled but if we can score and be 1 up by 30 mins it's game on, even if its 1-0 at HT. We are more than capable of winning by 3 even if its unlikely. 

If we were coming back to Anfield 3-0 down to them, I wouldn't bet against it but I think this tie is done. I think they'll beat us by a goal or two over there.

I don't actually see where any sort of win is coming from at the moment, all very depressing given where we were two weeks back...

Before yesterday, I'd have said use it to get players fit and give minutes to players who need them, in a bid to prioritise the league. But we have to go for it now. And who knows, it might spark a revival in the league form. I don't know what the best side is. For me it would almost certainly be quite different to just a couple of weeks ago. If I was picking the team, and for players like Jota and Trent I'd play them until I couldn't (so the first 45 or 60). Ali, Trent, Gomez, vvd, robbo, Macca, Dom, jones, Salah, Jota, Diaz. And if we are nursing Salah (which to me it looks like), I'd start Nunez instead and play Jota down the right. 

Of course we should be giving it a go but the title isn't something we are so far out of we go crazy at this. I certainly would be giving Macca a rest and I would be nursing Salah's fitness as well. I'd go with this  Ali, Trent, Quansah, Virgil, Robbo, Endo, Dom, Elliott/Jones Jota, Nunez, Gakpo/Diaz. Then for Fulham Ali, Trent Konate, Virgil, Robbo, Macca, Dom, Jones/Elliott, Salah, Jota, Gakpo/Diaz,  injuries permitting.

I don't think we've got any excuses to be tired to be honest, we've had far tougher seasons in terms of number/intensity of matches and the squad is a decent size now, with injured players coming back - if they can't go all out for this and still put a shift in to try and win the league, they should probably stop playing football and take up golf. Only player who's got any right to be tired is Virg, and Salah - who always fucking moans anyway when you take him off. 

If we win there, it will give us a boost which might stand to us.

If we overcome the three goal deficit, it means most likely that we have solved a huge amount of the issues that have impacted us recently - shite defending and shite finishing.

You know what, I have this feeling, we could suddenly start playing well and that just shows how frail our players are mentally. The pressure was getting to them. No other reason for multiple games where multiple players were missing easy chances. They bottled it. Now it's essentially hope that City drop points which is very unlikely and we become a functional team again. Even before the last few weeks, I had us drawing at Villa, so that shows the enormity of what is in front of us in the league. 

Virgil has really pissed me off over the past few games. I've no doubt Bob would have bombed him out in the summer if it was his era and with a new manager coming in, it will be interesting what happens. He's been admiring himself over the past few weeks and I don't see too much leadership from him. Robbo is clearly not the player he was, but fuck me his attitude was brilliant yesterday. Unless Virgil gets a grip and has a good look in the mirror, we haven't got a hope of getting results because he is essential in a Jurgen team. Right now, he looks about as far removed from imperious as you get.

As Lee says if we get a first half goal and keep them out why not? We only need to draw 3:3 anyway and it’s extra time. I think they’d shit it. Problem is it’s an Italian team who only have to defend. Expect full blown rolling round the floor before the ref even blows the whistle to kick off. 

I think we should prioritise scoring some goals, Thursday seems a good place to start. I think at the start of the season there was a thread/discussion on expectations and I said top 4, Europa and good run in the cups. I'd still be delighted with that.

Just now, Smell The Glove said:

I think as long as we score first anytime in the first 70 minutes it's game on.

Yeah I think they shit it anytime and I don’t see us playing as bad as last Thursday 

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

As Lee says if we get a first half goal and keep them out why not? We only need to draw 3:3 anyway and it’s extra time. I think they’d shit it. Problem is it’s an Italian team who only have to defend. Expect full blown rolling round the floor before the ref even blows the whistle to kick off. 

Could do without extra time. 

32 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Prioritizing Europa League over the title race?

Fucking hell.

By all means have a go, but... fucking hell.

If you want to ignore all context outlined in the original post by all means, but... fucking hell.